Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cytech - Reputation?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Cane Rat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Doing time in Angola
Re: Cytech - Reputation?
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:54 pm »
Got my panniers from him because he was the only one who had panniers for my bike. Crippled my bank balance for a while, but I've recovered and I like the panniers.

There are guys that think he's god's gift the motorcyle industry, but I think not. Knowledgeable? Yes. Experience? Yes. Rip-off artist? Yes

Must say though, that he has a lot more goodies for adventure bikes than most other vendors, if you are prepared to pay his prices.
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het, is net geleen!
(Koos du Plessis)

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 09:51:42 pm »
Ray charged me R1800.00 for a rear sprocket and o-ring chain for my Dakar 3yrs ago.  Discovered a month later that I could have got them for R975.00.  I was not charmed!!
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »
Ray charged me R1800.00 for a rear sprocket and o-ring chain for my Dakar 3yrs ago.  Discovered a month later that I could have got them for R975.00.  I was not charmed!!

All part of the learning curve ain't it?
ďThere is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Fugly

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »

Jughead, Jughead, Jughead...... If I didn't know you I would call you a ........ :imaposer:
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline SACK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Sucker for Punishment
    • Olopsant Design
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:05 pm »
Hmmmm.

I seems I was right to be wary.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »
Hmmmm.

I seems I was right to be wary.

Thanks for the input everyone.

If he can help you with a specialized item, why not?  Just get an upfront specified written quote (VAT incl) and you can't really go wrong.

Best of luck S
ďThere is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline SACK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Sucker for Punishment
    • Olopsant Design
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 10:13:49 am »

If he can help you with a specialized item, why not?  Just get an upfront specified written quote (VAT incl) and you can't really go wrong.

Best of luck S

What concerns me as well is that when I spoke to him at the beginning of the week the rims were apparently waiting to clear customs but when I asked for a written quote and delivery time he said he had no stock and would only recieve the next shipment in two weeks time.

I just got the feeling that he was lying to me and I don't like it when people do that.

I'll be taking my bussiness elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:21:19 pm by SACK »
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:11 am »
From all the threads on the subject I have gotten a very negative vibe... so I doubt he will ever see me. :-[

Offline Fugly

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27:50 am »

If he can help you with a specialized item, why not?  Just get an upfront specified written quote (VAT incl) and you can't really go wrong.

Best of luck S

What concerns me as well is that when I spoke to him at the beginning of the week the rims were apparently waiting to clear customs but when I asked for a written quote and delivery time he said he had no stock and would only recieve the next shipment in two weeks time.

I just gor the feeling that he was lying to me and I don't like it when people do that.

I'm sure BB2007 was told the same thing was he not??
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline JacquesM

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2010, 10:59:41 am »
Ray would probably be wise to visit this forum from time to time,

and it seems Ray would probably be wise to make some adjustments.

It's mos nice to rather be seen as a friend of this place.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »
From all the threads on the subject I have gotten a very negative vibe... so I doubt he will ever see me. :-[

After going through his price list and comparing prices with other guys, I got this idea in an instant.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »

After going through his price list and comparing prices with other guys, I got this idea in an instant.

I gave him a call, to get a price on a X-Challenge centre stand. He refused to give it to me over the phone and kept on saying that he will e-mail me the ENTIRE price list for everything. I said no thanks, just need a centre stand, I will mail you the list, no just the price please, I will mail the list etc etc etc. It was like talking to Telkom or SARS.....  :biggrin: :biggrin:

And there is a saying on the forum as well.......RbR......  (raped by ray), Luckily I have not yet been violated...  ;D ;D

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »

Best of luck S

I just gor the feeling that he was lying to me and I don't like it when people do that.

I'm sure BB2007 was told the same thing was he not??

Yeah I had that problem with the sheepskins. They were in customs.  Trust me itīll take about a month. Heīll just say "This is Africa. Its part of the experience" :tool:

Really had the wool pulled over my eyes on that one.   :laughing4:

I can laugh about it now, but Iīm still suffering from flashbacks and post tramatic stress disorder after that experience.  :tard: 

Watch your ethics as well when you deal with him.

Just check out the hard core tours he does: Tarmac 1,000km/day and you pay 4 sticks for a 5 day trip! Come on.  :eek7:

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fugly

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »
And John Smith to the rescue I guess  >:D

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
LOL Fugly, Im going to have to buy you a beer sometime.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fugly

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:28 pm »
LOL Fugly, Im going to have to buy you a beer sometime.

:thumleft:

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »
Ray is expensive but he is good in what he is doing. You get what you pay for ;)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
Ray is expensive but he is good in what he is doing. You definitely get less than what you pay for ;)

Fixed.

Look, Iīll admit he can be very polite. Too polite actually. And he generally has stock of everything, BUT he is freaking expensive. Paying more for a engine rebuild is one thing, paying more for fitment of parts is not what I call getting what you pay for. Or is it just that the coffee is very expensive? ::)

Its a pity it turned out this way really, because I can guarentee I would have been asking him to build me a rally raid bike had there been no issue.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:59:27 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2010, 11:58:23 am »

I gave him a call, to get a price on a X-Challenge centre stand. He refused to give it to me over the phone and kept on saying that he will e-mail me the ENTIRE price list for everything. I said no thanks, just need a centre stand, I will mail you the list, no just the price please, I will mail the list etc etc etc. It was like talking to Telkom or SARS.....  :biggrin: :biggrin:

And there is a saying on the forum as well.......RbR......  (raped by ray), Luckily I have not yet been violated...  ;D ;D

I can sell you a centrestand, R1765.00 + shipping...how's that? :thumleft:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online XXL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I am Blessed
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2010, 07:21:48 pm »

I can sell you a centrestand, R1765.00 + shipping...how's that? :thumleft:

....I'm looking for one for the 07 KLR too....