Paarl ride Jan 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I awoke to awesome weather and even though the 7am departure is kind of late for me I was grateful for the extra hours sleep.

The group consisted of me (Greg) KLR, Amir Vstrom, Colin KLR, Peter Dakar and Mark KLR. Mark is new to the group and was the first time he has ridden with us. His bike is also only 7 days old.

After a relaxing, one hour Wimpy breakfast at the Winelands Engen we departed for Paarl. Three nameless riders almost stayed behind to watch the cuties that were in and out (no pun intended) of the Wimpy getting food. At least four were 7/10...maybe one was an 8/10.

I detract...we took the offramp and started exploring the backroads. As soon as we got off the tar sections you could smell the pine trees.

The first track we followed ended up on a farm.

dsc00259mediumbc0.jpg

Next track took us past a dam where a local farmer is breeding crawfish..freshwater crayfish. The road ended up in the forest and private land so we tried the next track.

dsc00261mediumgd5.jpg

After a few detours we found our first view site.

dsc00264mediumrq8.jpg

The track suited itself more to scramblers and Amir did extremely well on the Vstrom (with road tyres). Two of the riders took tumbles on the rocks with the total casualities being an indicator.

Wipeout
dsc00269mediumox3.jpg

Almost at the summit.
dsc00270mediumjx3.jpg

My Wild Dog Sticker
dsc00277mediumpb2.jpg

I spoke to a young farmer who enthusiastically directed us to some track up a small hill with a great lookout point.

dsc00274mediumjx1.jpg

Descending from the lookout
dsc00285mediumcs4.jpg

dsc00290mediumks7.jpg

After riding every possible gravel road, we headed for Wellington and a colddrink and then on home via the wind generators and Durbanville farms.

173km of amazing fun.