Plunging into the Rally scene

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Watching the Dakar every year always makes me want to get on my bike and ride off-piste until it hurts.  ::) And when I do it, I get an amazing satisfaction from it: You know, the kind where you find you can hardly move for two days afterwards from being tired and sore. Now I want to do this now more often with other similar minded masochists. :whip2:

The obvious answer is to start rally racing. Not enduros or MX, but long days and big distances of hard, technical, off piste riding.  :ricky:

So this will be my n00b´s rally update thread where I will plot my progress as I venture into this rather daunting world of "Camel-man" riders for those of you who want to follow my journey.  :komet:

I´ll be including lots of details on the bike, the preparation, the licencing, the problems encoutered etc. so hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes and discoveries!

I would be most grateful for any wise words of advice, encouragement or warning  :patch: you may have.

My plan is finish at least one rally this year, probably the Dos Sertoes in August, check it out HERE. This rally is 10 days of ±300km technical riding per day. Its pretty daunting for me I must say!  But I know if I put my mind to it and prepare properly I can finish. Thats the only target I am setting myself for now. To just finish.

A bit about me:
I´m a budding 25 yr old trapped in a 38yr old body. Its tough, but what can you do - You have to work with what you have. Im reasonably riding fit, can do a long, difficult dirt sessions on my 800GS no problem. But I can only do a few hours of hard, off-piste, enduro style rallying on my wife´s KTM 450 EXC before I am totally shagged. So I´need to build up my fitness. Im not a gym kind of guy, looking gay in tights and flexing my muscles in the mirror is really not my thing. I guess Im going to have to learn to get over my dislike of gyms at some stage in the near future. Well worry about the tights later ;D In the meantime Ive started a couple of basic fitness improvement programs: 100 pushups per day (right now I can only do 20! :eek7:) and 200 situps/crunches. I plan to be there in 6 weeks.  From there on I guess I´ll have to go to a gym. Im going to start riding enduro style at least 3 times/week as well.

I also need to eat less fat & grease, drink less beer and also less whiskey n coke!  :-\  Basically Mr Lardass needs to turn into He-man.

A bit about my ride:

Im in the market for a second hand rally bike, but theyre hard to find, so I looked around at whats ridden out there:

Honda 450
Honda 600
KTM 450/520
KTM 690/650
Husaberg 530
Husqavarna 450?
Sherco 450
Yamaha 450
<edit> o ja, the BMW 450 but maybe not after only 1 of 4 finished the Dakar.. :deal:
I am most likely going to buy one of these:

Yamaha-WR450F-2Trac-2004.jpg

And then prep it into one of these:

791438505_kE7H9-XL.jpg

Im still open to advice in choosing the bike, I need to make a decision by the end of next week. Why did I choose a Yammie 450? Its light; I´ll be able to pick it up more times than a 690 before I´m totally pooped. Its easier to ride and control than a bigger bike. The rally kit is narrower between the knees and more balanced than the KTM, or Honda counterparts and the kit is fairly easily availible. Its a reliable machine that is fairly common on the big rally circuits, so spares are not an issue.

Once I have the bike, then I need to have it prepped and ready by mid April, I´ll be attending a rally "training school" in Arizona in Mid April. So there is lots to do.

Thats it for now.