KTM takes Hilux head-on....a story of good ATTGAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trokkie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Myself and a friend went for a quick ride to the Cederberg on Saturday. Staying in Ceres Oasis is just 100 km's away. We packet swimmingpant and towels and headed towards a couple of beers, a swim and one of Gerrit's Bone steaks.

We spoke on Friday night about the kit we will wear as the predicted 40+ degrees for Saturday. If it is hot we normally wear motorcross body armour with jersey over. It is nice and cool and offers good protection. Andries also has the one piece of of kid i will be getting on Monday, the Leatte neckbrace.

About 8 km's before Mount Ceder still on the way there tragedy struck. Andries was about 300 meters in front and as i was coming over a hill i looked for his dust when all off a sudden i saw a dust explotion standing still. My blood became cold as although i did not see anything but the dust i knew something had gone wrong. He hit a bakkie head-on. My friend was lying lifeless 20 meters behind the bakkie and the 950 was punched 15 meters back in direction he was coming from.

After about 2 minutes or so he started coming around but made no sense, he hit his head hard as the Arai helmet was broken. His wrist was clearly broken and he moaned about his leg. I removed his helmet, gave some water and put shade over him and went for help as there is no cellphone signal and not a lot of trafic. I went to Mount Ceder and found the manager named Thomas who was fantastic. He grabbed a mattres, first aid kit and when i appologized for bothered him he answered " This is what we do, we help " and chased to the seen. Please support him if you ever pass through there.  We stabilized Andries and "spalked" his wrist before thy drove him the 90 km's to Ceres.
He was transfered ro Worcester where they operated on wrist last night. Apart from a lot of bruses his wrist is the only serious injury. A miracle if you consider he fell himself out of his Alpinestar tech 3 boots! One is still missing.!

During June last year we travelled 6500 km's through Botswana and Nam without any mishaps and now this happened 90 km's from home. Just shows you to ALWAYS wear your ATTGAT.
A few pics...

Attachments

• DSCN0060.jpg
    DSCN0060.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1,280
  • DSCN0062.jpg
    DSCN0062.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSCN0069.jpg
    DSCN0069.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,085
  • DSCN0061.jpg