Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2nd National Offroad - (Vryburg) Kalahari 400  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
2nd National Offroad - (Vryburg) Kalahari 400
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »
Who's going ?

This is the thorny / dusty one
Will Jade do it again? He seems to be cleaning up at the moment

Will be there with our high pressure washer again - it was quite a treat helping out all the big names at the Ermelo time trial. Made some nice friends  :thumleft:
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: 2nd National Offroad - (Vryburg) Kalahari 400
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:17:16 am »
Who's going ?

Will be there with our high pressure washer again - it was quite a treat helping out all the big names at the Ermelo time trial. Made some nice friends  :thumleft:
Just mentioning that it is an infringement of the Enviromental Code to wash a bike in an off road event if there is no purpose built wash bay. Watch out for the Enviro. Officers!

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »
Thanks RobC

Interesting ? - Now that you mention it - I do recall reading that somewhere.
Question: Even if no soap/degreaser involved ? - Just washing the mud off ???

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:19 pm »
Thanks RobC

Interesting ? - Now that you mention it - I do recall reading that somewhere.
Question: Even if no soap/degreaser involved ? - Just washing the mud off ???
I will re read the code but I know at a MX event it is a no no to wash your bike in the pits or any other place except the wash bay's, I would think the same applies at an Off Road.
Edited... did some reading. ::)
Environmental code 14.14 is the paragraph. Basically if permitted by the regulations, only at designated cleaning facilities. Scanning the 2010 Off Road/Enduro regs. there is no provision for washing facilities but this may be mentioned in the particular R&R for an event. Rule of thumb seems to be "no washing" at Off Road/Enduro's. Check the Rules&Regs for the particular event to make sure I would say.
I would not provide wash bays as they are expensive to build to Enviromental Code specification just for an Off Road unless it were a semi permanent venue maybe. We have noted in our Enviro Log that our wash bays at our MX track will be modified at some time to include oil traps and proper filtering to get rid of the mud and sand!
I think MSA is using 2010 as an educational year with regard to the Enviromental Code and that from 2011 the Regs will have more to say on this matter with fines/penalties etc for infringements.  A whole cartload of EO's have been trained... I think there are more EO's than any other class of official! :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:13:19 am by RobC »

Offline Splash

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:16:01 pm »
Entry forms are on http://www.platinumoffroad.co.za/ . Have till 17 March 2010 before regional entries close.
Have bike, will ride.

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:22:03 pm »
Predictions...

Jade
Louwrens
Gavin Louw
Riaan
Bollie V Rooyen

The Kawa's will do better at this one, they are super fast.

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:50 pm »
Predictions...

Jade
Louwrens
Gavin Louw
Riaan
Bollie V Rooyen

The Kawa's will do better at this one, they are super fast.

That is my hope too!

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »
After watching Gavin at Lichtenburg - My money is on him

Offline Roof of Africa

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »
1st Lourens Mahoney  Yamaha
2nd Jade Gutzeit          Yamaha
3rd Spencer Kriel          KTM
4th Theo Potgieter       Honda
5th Clayton Enslin        Husaberg  correction KTM 530
6th Bollie van Rooyen   kawasaki
7th Riaan van Niekerk  KTM
8th Christopher Webster Yamaha

Manufacturers Award     Yamaha
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:18:07 am by Roof of Africa »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:13 am »
So what happened to Gavin?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Roof of Africa

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:46:12 am »
So what happened to Gavin?

Listed as a DNF

Offline Roof of Africa

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Hey all - does any-one know what sort of trail the newer adventure section had? - would like to find out what the conditions were
Who's going ?

We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Orangeswifty

• Race Dog
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »

Geez - sorry bout that one
Does any one know what sort of conditions (trail) was laid out for the new adventure section of this enduro race?

Offline Roof of Africa

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:50 pm »

Does any one know what sort of conditions (trail) was laid out for the new adventure section of this enduro race?

Same route as everybody else - just shorter. Only 2 entries and I think both were KTM 690's. Both finished.

Offline Orangeswifty

• Race Dog
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »
Thanks Roof

Same route as everybody else - just shorter. Only 2 entries and I think both were KTM 690's. Both finished.

Offline Splash

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 06:44:29 am »
50km outside Vryburg at a farmers association we started the Kalahari 400 National Off road. I entered seniors requiring 75% of the route to be completed. Masters and regional had to do 50%. They laid out two loops of approximately 100 km each – red and yellow loops. The bikes started on the red loop, then switching to the yellow and back again to the red. The quads started on the yellow loop. National riders had to do a time trial the day before for seeding purposes, which consisted of an additional 45 km loop.

My time trial went well, beating Dillon Inggs. Dillon suffered a mechanical problem. Had to nurse his bike to the finish taking my last place. One of the benefits of riding in the national class is that one takes off before the regional riders which on a dusty track makes a difference. I will also claim any discount I can now being a national rider. Not mentioning that I barely finished. Averaged 49 km/h over the 300km. My time trial averages was 52 km/h. Consistent I think.

Had an unwelcome passenger joining me along the way. Somehow he flew in the back of my shirt. Panic set in. Did not know if it was a bee or wasp likely to sting or maybe something less viscous. Stopping to taking of my kit was not an option, I was racing. Relieved as long as it was only exploring. Wandered if it would be gassed if it found its way anywhere near my arms pits.  Did eventually find its way out leaving me to concentrate on riding and not the quickest way of getting my shirt off.

An adventure class for adventure bikes was offered. Not sure how successful that was. Did not see any big bikes racing. Maybe next time more would be interested.

My time trial went well. Started of on the jetting strip with all the big boys making sure my bike was just spot on – not that I was going to do anything about it. Top speed reached was 109 km/h. The 450’s must have been somewhat quicker. The start of the time trial was delayed allowing the last quad to clear the track. They went off in the morning, leaving the afternoon for bikes. My bike felt good and was riding easily in the sand and keeping direction well. Very impressed how well the bike was responding to where I put it. Built confidence allowing me to try different lines. The top riders made a meal of the track and almost flying through it at average speeds of around 85 km/h. Did not seem extremely dangerous and I enjoyed maintaining a good pace. The track had been altered to accommodate the adventure class with some of the more technical sections being left out. Not complaining.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine did not make it back in one piece. Just into his second lap he collided with an anthill while trailing a bike in its dust, coming off at around 150 km/h. He went to hospital and was lucky enough not the have broken anything and apart from being very sore and only a cut on his arm. His protective gear did its job.

Good thing my top speed is limited. Do not like reaching mad speeds. Not going to win the race, just want to have a good days entertainment and get home with a few good tales. Definitely did that this weekend.

By accident I cut off a friend whom I pit with. Not a good strategy to keep friends. When I “stopped” to let him pass the bike behind him jut slipped passed us both. Try to let fast riders have a clean line passed me. The sooner they get going the sooner their dust clears.

Managed 300 km without any major incident or much excitement really. Got into a groove and just enjoyed the sand. Did some sections amazingly fast and was still passed, even by other two strokes. Did twist my throttle a little to discover that it did have more to give. Decided to save the bike, or maybe that would be, to save myself.

One of the really tricky sections was through some tight bushes. Difficult to slow down after maintaining a high speed. Almost did not make the first few corners and eventually did overshoot one or two with general devastation evident from the number of ripped up bushes. Had to eventually calm down slowing to a controllable pace. No harm done.

Thanks to the organisers for a great race. Adrenaline is a marvellous thing if nothing goes wrong. I was flying high, or was that low, for most of the day. 

Pictures

Have bike, will ride.

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:05 am »
Nice one Splash, so you doing the Lesotho offroad as well? I am sure that the speeds will be slightly slower..... ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:57:04 am by Smilye »
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:11 am »

Just 2? That in effect put's and end to that experiment, I doubt that the next race's organizers will want to cater for such a small field? This does not even cover the expenses for the prizes?

Offline Splash

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 11:38:26 am »
Nice one Splash, so you doing the Lesotho offroad as well? I am sure that the speeds will be slightly slower..... ::)
Lesotho is a scary place. Will see. Think I will book a holiday far away at that time just in case!
Have bike, will ride.