Six to Secunda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
So we were six that would take the ride to Secunda. I left from Kempton at 7 am sharp and took a nice track through the mieliefields behind Bredell to meet up with the rest of the pack at the Bapsfontein Caltex garage. It was a perfect morning with a nippy bite in the air, actually very nice and refreshing. I was riding straight into the sun and this was a bitch. I overshot a few turns, because I could not make out where the hell the track went with all the shadows and the sun low in my eyes. Travelling due east at 7 in the morning on a twisty sandy track is just what you need to wake you up.
CHorse and JIMBO were waiting at the Garage as I arrived at the same time as Stofstreep. After a few minutes my Brazilian friend, Bruno, arrived and shortly thereafter JustBiking joined as well.

So we were ready to rock:
KnopKop         X-Challenge
Stopstreep XR650
JustBiking         KTM690
CHorse DR650
JIMBO DR650
Bruno 1200GS

We hit some mud right from the get go, tackling the railway line. Awesome riding with huge and deep mud puddles on a very tight and twisty track, just bliss. Stofsteep could not wipe the huge grin from his face. We took some more dirt, a stretch through some boer’s farm, no hassle with this farmer, but that would change a bit later on.

The mist was quite thick at some stages and the temperature dropped significantly, we got pretty darn cold at one stretch. We took a break from the cold in the middle of a mieliefield where the farmer decided it was a bright idea to sommer plough the road as well. This made for some fancy footwork riding the ploughed track, combined with some “alien-mud”. Bruno named this type of mud after it “sucked in” his 1200. He reckons this type of mud sucks you in, the same way an alien ship will suck you up into space. He wrestled it though the ploughed, “alien-mud” like a true champ! CHorse’s DR650 really liked this alien-mud and decided to go and lie down in it a bit. No harm done.

The stop in the mieliefield, just before the alien-mud
SecundaPano1.jpg

Another stop along the way:
20100221-Secunda003.jpg

20100221-Secunda007.jpg

20100221-Secunda008.jpg

We then had a brekkie at the Dros in Secunda, and took some more dirt back to the big smoke. I will post the story of the ride back and the incident with the farmer a little later.