Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 14000kms to the Arctic Circle and back - with my son  (Read 732 times)

Offline Old Baldy

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Sneaky Slow
    • OB's Blog
14000kms to the Arctic Circle and back - with my son
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:25 am »
My RR on our 2008 trip from our home near Detroit, Michigan, USA to the Arctic Ocean.

Didn't make the final push to Inuvik, as the rains took out the Dempster dirt road with a major mudslide, so we had to turn back only a couple of hundred miles from the Arctic Circle. We will be back.

Warning - the RR contains gross exaggeration, lies and general BS...to make us seem like "real" adventurers. :)

http://www.motodyn.com

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:18:14 am by Old Baldy »
Old Baldy /  WWBO #451
Ducati 996
Kawasaki KLR 650 '02
Triumph Tiger 955i

OB's BLOG

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: 14000kms to the Arctic Circle and back - with my son
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:51 am »
There goes todays productivity ...  :thumleft:
Carpe BM.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Fantastic trip! Really epic - You managed huge distances with no breaks!  :eek7: Thats seriously hard core.  So cool that you did it with your lightie!  :thumleft: He will always remember it, as will you. I notice he has african blood in him, the fire thing says it all!  ;D

Very interesting to read about the immigration people, I find I get the same treatment coming in at NYC or Miami, we will see how it goes at LAX next month.

Why no photos of all these beautiful women?  :biggrin:

Another question: Is it possible to do the same route (roughly) sticking to dirt roads? I imagine it would take a lot longer and would require some stretches on tar and also extra fuel. Im not sure I would enjoy so much tar as you had.

Your boiling fuel analysis I think is correct. On the Dakar rally this year nearly every bike had that problem on Stage 3 at altitude, in high temps, the fuel boiled in their tanks and it was only once they had allowed the bikes to cool down that many of them were able to restart the bikes. Over 20 bikes dropped out on that day!

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:31:09 am »
Great RR! Thanks for sharing. :thumleft:

Offline Old Baldy

• Sneaky Slow
    • OB's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:55 am »

Another question: Is it possible to do the same route (roughly) sticking to dirt roads? I imagine it would take a lot longer and would require some stretches on tar and also extra fuel. Im not sure I would enjoy so much tar as you had.

Yeah, unfortunately just getting to the cool (dirt) Arctic riding roads means running across the country first....and that means about 5000kms each way of highway or secondary roads. Yes, there undoubtedly would be some dirt alternatives along the way...probably none that would take you all the way without tar, but the issue is always time. I couldn;t spend more than 3 weeks, which for 14000Ks was pressing it enough even using the tar main roads. We rode 8-12 hours each day, almost without stop....and any slower/longer would really have been tough for a soft old arse like my office-chair loving rear end! :)

Our upcoming Labrador/NewFoundland/Nova Scotia trip is half the distance and we're taking 2 weeks, so we will enjoy a LOT more dirt roads up in the North East of Canada, compared to the cross-country Arctic Circle trips.

We'll be riding these roads which get a touch of snow in the winter....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303995
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:08:34 am by Old Baldy »
Old Baldy /  WWBO #451
Ducati 996
Kawasaki KLR 650 '02
Triumph Tiger 955i

OB's BLOG