Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WTF - Time to hang out da laundry - POST MORTEM!!  (Read 3189 times)

Offline koplamp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
WTF - Time to hang out da laundry - POST MORTEM!!
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:28:22 pm »
When I am gooing with my GS around 5500 rpm it feels like it realy takes off. I think it has something to do with the second set of spark plugs or something. Anyway, after I had the Akra system fitted it kinda hesitated around 5500 before it actually got that second wind. This hesitation became a slight stutter and then a "sluk" which became a real irritation as I was gooing around bends and powering up out of curves.

I had the technician note this during the last service and was told that it was sorted. During my visit to Nam I had a helluva time as it appeared to worsten to the point where the bike sputtered when I had the throttle wide open. This meant that I could not freely accellerate nor could I really pass with comfort or maintain any speed above 160 km / h. The sputter became associated with a few misfires and a drop in power. As I can not venture the slightest guess as to what caused it, I can only describe that it feels like the bike is either misfiring (timing) or getting too little or too much fuel when this happens.

I took the bike back to the dealer where I bought it and where it was serviced and they told me that they found nothing wrong with the bike. However, the problem disappeared. I thought maybe the technician overlooked it during the service and covered up by fixing it and then saying that there is nothing the matter.

Over the weekend when I was playing around the mountains behind Elgin, it reappeared. This time much worse.

Any ideas while I rest the typing finger...

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »
Metaljockey had the same kind of nonsense, it is most propably the spark plugs, change them with new ones or another bikes plugs.

It sound too obvious but you describe the same problems he had on his bike, we changed everything between our bikes to try and get to the problem, and in the end it was the plugs.

Offline koplamp

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:48 pm »
Thanks for the idea Michnus.

At present it is under the care of Dr. B.M Dabbelwoo and I hope to get a diagnoisis from the team.

Offline Katoom

bmw
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:41:16 pm »
You now what me thinx...
It is your destiny my son.
Join the darkside
Life's too short.

Offline koplamp

Re: bmw
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:04:24 pm »
Quote from: "Katoom"
You now what me thinx...
It is your destiny my son.
Join the darkside

I thought that's what you'd say my dark lord. Patience for now please...

I am due to get an answer on why BMW detachable topcases go flying and why BMW bikes sputter...

BTW I can't make up my mind...

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:11:04 pm »
have the same problem on my dakar, specifically mentioned spark plugs and cables to the stealership, they refused to change the plugs saying mine is fine. It only happens at speed 120+ after about 40mins of riding. the techie said they could not simulate the fault, i asked weather he took it for a test ride, "Yep, i took it around the block"...after i told him to take the bike for a ride even filled the tank up for him...anywayz, gonna mention it at service time, and the better fix it, else im gonna start makin some noise.

The service manager even admitted to BMW supplying faulty spark plugs, but said mine is fne, and does not need swopping...

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:16:24 pm »
The black one, no the orange one, er no the b.........
who cares as long as it's KTM ADV  :D  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »
after owning a more exclusive black one myself.... I reckon go for the Orange one.... its so visible on the road, and is just beautiful to look at.
 :)

Offline BlouVark

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 04:44:49 pm »
The "S" is on my wishlist (who needs ABS), looks a lot better than the orange, the black.....they're going to run you over without seeing you.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline koplamp

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 05:00:50 pm »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
have the same problem on my dakar, specifically mentioned spark plugs and cables to the stealership, they refused to change the plugs saying mine is fine. It only happens at speed 120+ after about 40mins of riding. the techie said they could not simulate the fault, i asked weather he took it for a test ride, "Yep, i took it around the block"...after i told him to take the bike for a ride even filled the tank up for him...anywayz, gonna mention it at service time, and the better fix it, else im gonna start makin some noise.

The service manager even admitted to BMW supplying faulty spark plugs, but said mine is fne, and does not need swopping...

Exactly. The 1200 only starts with its troubles after like 2 hours of riding and also only above 160 km / h. I dunno. The technician at the dealership also "rode it extensively" but claims I shouldn't smoke Robertson's Missing Herb before I gooi mielies.  :rr:

You oukes won't believe how close I got to buying Orange last week.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 05:10:21 pm »
Ask them to check the routing of the lamda sensor wiring, my 1150 GSA had a similar problem, the lamda sensor wiring was too close to the HT lead of the bottom spark plug, as soon as it was rerouted the problem went away. BTW, the second set of spark plugs always fire with the first set, they only help with fuel emmision.
I hope this sorts out the problem. Sorry, also, your 1200 has 2 lamda sensors, get them to check both.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline koplamp

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 05:16:03 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
Ask them to check the routing of the lamda sensor wiring, my 1150 GSA had a similar problem, the lamda sensor wiring was too close to the HT lead of the bottom spark plug, as soon as it was rerouted the problem went away. BTW, the second set of spark plugs always fire with the first set, they only help with fuel emmision.
I hope this sorts out the problem. Sorry, also, your 1200 has 2 lamda sensors, get them to check both.

I'll update you on where I am at with them at this moment. I phoned in yesterday to say that the problem persists and that the technician can no longer accuse me of substance abuse as both my pillion and riding mate heard and saw the problem. The service advisor said I should bring the bike in and they will try to find the problem. I exclaimed that time and money is not always as abundant and that I can't take the bike on the 140 km roundtrip again as it is now the third attempt to fix a problem that they can't find. Ouk told me to take off the seat and phone Motorrad Assist. They collected and took it to another dealer (closer to me) and that is where they now have her.

Offline Katoom

bmw
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 07:54:45 pm »
Lampies
Sorry to hear about your k@k.
I reackon its about here that you should really start giving the guys the sharp end.
Life's too short.

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:47 pm »
Quote from: "koplamp"
Ouk told me to take off the seat and phone Motorrad Assist.

Why did you have to take the seat off?
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Kat

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:01:27 pm »
Quote from: "spyker"
Quote from: "koplamp"
Ouk told me to take off the seat and phone Motorrad Assist.

Why did you have to take the seat off?

The BMW Road-assistans number is under the seat.
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:31 pm »
Aahh. Ok. Thanks!  :D
Thought they won't come fetch the bike unless you took the seat off??!! :shock:
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Katoom

bmw
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 10:18:37 pm »
:laughing3:
Life's too short.

Offline koplamp

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 07:04:38 am »
Quote from: "spyker"
Aahh. Ok. Thanks!  :D
Thought they won't come fetch the bike unless you took the seat off??!! :shock:

There is a sticker with some of the VIN numbers and the telephone number for the "big red helicopter" under the seat.

I thought about giving the oukes uphill, but decided to use SGB's more gentle and caring brokeback mountain approach. Apparently the gentle foreplay persuedes them to really give you the required level of service and attention. Let's see.

Is there however nobody else on this forum that experienced or heard of this problem? Surely I can't be the only one.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:50 am »
Never had this problem on my 1200
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Stephan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 08:21:19 am »
Had exactly the same problem with mine, problem caused by sparkplugs, replaced the sparkplugs problem gone.  Tell your dealer to phone Lyndhurst BMW, they sorted mine under warranty and told me that it is a known problem.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela