Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "On the road" costs, unacceptably high  (Read 841 times)

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
"On the road" costs, unacceptably high
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:43:13 am »
I was charged R1800 for "on the road" costs when I purchaced my new F800GS. This was charged over and above the purchace price of the bike. I do realise that there are costs involved to have the bike licenced, etc but charging the client R1800 for it is out of line and I feel it is just another way to squeeze more money out of us.
My personal feeling is that these "on the road" costs must be taken out of the profit that the dealer makes on the bike.

Below is the "explanation" given to me by my dealer:

Elke handelaar het 'n standaard "On Road cost " wat met elke transaksie gedoen word om alle kostes te dek waarvoor die motorfietsverkoopsafdeling verantwoordelik is.  Dit sluit in die volgende:-

Werkswinkelkostes:    Aflaai van motorfiets van trokke af  wat minstens 4 werksmense vereis,  uit die krat haal, aanmekaarsit, en skoonmaak van die motorfiets om op die vertoonlokaal te sit.  Ons koste aan die werkswinkel beloop R450.00 per motorfiets wat deur verkope afdeling betaal word op elke motorfiets.

Wanneer die motorfiets verkoop word, gaan dit weer na die werkswinkel wat dan die voor aflewerings diens, en verpligte sagteware opgradering doen op die rekenaar. Daar word ook 'n verpligte toetsrit gedoenmaak en die fiets word vol petrol gemaak.  Daarna word dit weer behoorlik skoongemaak, en sodra dit geregistreer word, word die nommerplaat aangesit.  Daarvoor betaal ons die werkswinkel  R250.00   

Die registrasie fooi beloop R244.00 vir nuwe motorfietse.   Die nommerplaat (met die metaal agterkant soos nou wetlik vereis word) kos R180.00.

Die dokumentasie fooie, insluitend papier, fotostate, voltooi van vorms, Fica, versekering ens. beloop R350.00.

In totaal is die koste vir die verkope afdeling ( wat net van 'n persentasie van die wins kommissie ontvang)  Bykans R1,900.00 per motorfiets.  By groter motorfietse wat meer petrol moet kry kos dit die verskil meer.

Ander handelaars vra tot R2,500 per transaksie.

Ek dink dus dat dit net regverdig is om van  die kostes te verhaal. 

We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Slowmow

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME !!
Re: "On the road" costs, unacceptably high
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:24:23 pm »
Ek het in 2008 'n nuwe KLR gekoop en die dealer wou my R1700 charge om die bike te registreer en op my naam te sit. Ek het hulle hartlik bedank en ges ek sal dit self doen. Die kostes was registrasie R175 en 30min van my tyd. Nomerplaat R50 en 15min van my tyd. Soo als in als met ry na die registrasie kantore toe na die nomerplaat vervaardiger toe en huistoe en die nomerplaat opsit het dit my 1H30 gevat en my R225 gekos.

Dit is nie soo baie moeite om 'n nuwe fiets op die pad te kry nie, hoef nie eers vir RWC te gaan nie.
2008 KLR650
AirAge Pipe
HID LIGHTS
Twin air horn, 115db @2m
22c Mod www.klrclan.co.za - Member

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26:17 pm »
Slowmow,    :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:29 pm »
It cost me the teporary registration fee, the dealer did not charge any extras for un-crating, pdi or the paperwork involved. This is a ripoff imho!

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:37:02 pm »
A bike has to have a pre-delivery check.  Not all the parts are fitted to the bike at the factory; mirrors & things like that.  To do the fitting & pre-delivery checks they have to unload the bike.  Pre-delivery check is part of the factory guarantee.  Contact BMW Mottorad.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:24:36 am »
I pay for my bikes--ask for the papers and do the registration etc on my own time--Under R350 for a bike--Not going to get another cent from me as far as i am concerned.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Christian Kuun

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:28:54 am »
Bet the salesman doesnt tell you about those costs when trying to flogg the bike to you.

I JUST HATE ALL THE F@#%ING HIDDEN COSTS. Rather just give me 1 price- an all inclusive price.  >:( >:( >:(

I get the sh!ts when they say "the price is R299, sir"
"with or without vat?",
"thats ex vat, sir. vat inclusive is R341 sir"
"with or without on-the-road fee?"
"ex OTRF, sir. OTRF included it is R385 sir"
"Okay, so it is R385 all incl on the shelf?"
"No sir, a service fee must still be added..."
"Well, WTF is the service fee?"
"R25 sir"
"Okay, so it is R410 all incl on the shelf?"
"Yes sir."
"SO WHY THE #$%& DIDNT YOU JUST SAY SO FROM THE START YOU MORON!?!?"
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:34:07 am »
 :laughing4:
That was funny but 100% true.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:01 am »
off loading a bike is for their cost, why de hell must you pay for it, additional? And the pre check is also their problem. So maybe they must contact you when your bike arrives and you and your palls go off load your bike and then you can also do the pre-fitment as it gets out the crate, which you can do yourself....

but wait, they won't allow you doing that.

Dealers, sure as hell deserve the name stealer's, they will nail you for every cent they can, why not make you pay for the courtesy coffee in their shops?  ;)

PS: waiting for the wise-asses that's going to say if you can afford a BMW you must squeal about the on-road cost.   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:41:22 am by michnus »

Offline XXL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I am Blessed
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:05:25 am »
I agree with all of the above. Since when must I pay additional fee for my vehicle to be assembled (in the brochure it's already assembled!) Why must I pay additional for their friggin QA!? :xxbah:
My strip-mater hits red like Christian....I am buying the vehicle already assembled for goodness sake!!! :dousing: I didnt buy a "Bike-in-a- Box"!
Thats also your workshop....so if you want me to pay them seperately, let me find my own workshop at a price that I, as the purchaser, are willing / able to pay! If I have to pay for all these services, then let me find the suppliers or at least have an opportunity to negotiate with them
BTW I recently paid R120 for a replacement number plate...

A RIP-OFF I TELL YOU!!!!!!!

Offline Losper

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:44 am »
I am glad to see that you guys agree with me on this one.  :thumleft:

Offline GS Jane

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:13 am »
A bike has to have a pre-delivery check.  Not all the parts are fitted to the bike at the factory; mirrors & things like that.  To do the fitting & pre-delivery checks they have to unload the bike.  Pre-delivery check is part of the factory guarantee.  Contact BMW Mottorad.

The clutch lever/mirror mounting point was loose when I collected my 800...   :patch: :peepwall:
Don't go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail

BMW R1200GS LC; Honda Quest Africa Twin number 8;  KTM 200 XC-W; Kawasaki Z400 J2 (sold);
BMW F800GS (Sold);  G650X-Challenge (Sold);  BMW F650GS Thumper (Sold)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 11:26:35 am »
i been looking at buying a bakkie ...popped into a dealer they charge 3k for this ,so i ask what is this about ?

Sir, its a pdi fee and registration fee etc

so i skeem , i must pay you to do a PDI on a vehicle you selling me ...something screwy there ...
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32:38 am »
yea - them charging you for the PDI is off-sides, I would throw toys.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Hennie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:24 am »
Would this not perhaps be an oppertune time for our esteemed forum vendor to enter the fray?  :peepwall:
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »
And the best of all is if you finance, you pay a lot more than the R1800 over the lets say 5 year period with interest etc...  I once made them an offer of what I would be prepared to pay (was about 30%) and paid it cash... :biggrin:  Was on a cage though...

Offline lecap

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 07:32:03 am »
Wait until you need to fix something.

R 90 S brake caliper repair kit R1400 (yes sir, you have to buy the piston to get the fluid seal!)
You need two! :o
Dust cap brake caliper R 350 (yes, for one!).

BTW you can use an ATE Alfa Romeo repair kit for the fluid seals which leaves you with change for a long & luxurious weekend away with the better half.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline XXL

• Race Dog
  • I am Blessed
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:56 am »
And the best of all is if you finance, you pay a lot more than the R1800 over the lets say 5 year period with interest etc...  I once made them an offer of what I would be prepared to pay (was about 30%) and paid it cash... :biggrin:  Was on a cage though...

...bring your own lube... >:(