WC- In search of new roads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
The XT`s did a reccie on Sunday , Camelman , Crossed-up and Me.

7am at the usual garage in Richwood , Sat. night DSTV weather forcast very hot weather for Sunday , so I checked the weather at 05h30 and it had changed to cool weather , max 26.

So I ditched the Mx gear for the Enduro jacket , BIG MISTAKE.
It must have been 42 in the shade yesterday.

We went to look at some roads in the Bainskloof area.
The road was very rocky on the way up the mountain , Crossed-up`s hand is still in recovery with 3 screws in it , so he oppted to stop half way up and Camelman said he didnt want to drop his new Tenere before the first service , so I did the rest of the road up alone.

BainskloofReccie044.jpg

BainskloofReccie005.jpg

BainskloofReccie009.jpg

This is a foot path !

BainskloofReccie032.jpg

What spectacular views from up on top of the mountain.

BainskloofReccie011.jpg

BainskloofReccie017.jpg

BainskloofReccie046.jpg

The ride back down was surprisingly easier than coming up.

We decided that  " Die Son Trek Water " and headed for a refreshment at the Calabash.
As we were leaving 20 or more XT660R`s and Tenere`s pulled in the entrance of the Calabash , from Nam. But all Germans , it seemed that half of them wanted beer and the other half wanted to ride , the riders won.

We left shortly after them .
We took the private road , just before the bridge , Past Calabash.

It says private road , but its a farm road that passes a lot of farms , the road passes another sign that says , Private Road , vicious dogs.
We never saw any and the road continues past a lot of interesting Bosbou  roads.

The Wolsley area has a lot of orchards and forests in the area , so they are very sensitive of unwanted trespassers.
So we kept on the " Private Road".

It winds its way to Nuwekloof Pass at Tulbach.
We did the Thomas Baines  Oudekloof  road , but someones put a big gate up , so we did it from the western entrance.
It also comes to a Fence , but for good reason , the bridge over the railway line has been removed to facilitate the installation of the Electrics Train system.

Crossed-Up and camelman of( Kameelkop Movies on you Tube)

BainskloofReccie048.jpg

Dead End

BainskloofReccie050.jpg

BainskloofReccie051.jpg

But its a nice quick detour.
we were scheduled for a vissit to Saron and then Beaverlac , but by this time we were being fryed in the heat , so we opted for Riebeek Kasteel and a beer lunch with a Ham berger.

There we bumped into Mr. Hyde and his GF.

Camelman skipped the berger and headed home , Crossed-up and I made for Porselaneweg and up to Perdeberg en route home.
We were about 30kms from home and I was boiling , so we pulled over at Occudale road , under the Blue gums to disrobe and chill out for 30 mins or so , before heading home.

Oh Yes , and after a successful ride up , I drop my bike trying to turn it round !

BainskloofReccie043.jpg