Dinge werk bietjie anders hier in Loxton!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRyPH

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This past weekend a couple of us decided to do a trip on roads that we dont normaly take. For a change of scenery.
We were able to get hold of some tickets to the premiere of a new  movie called "Jakhalsdans" shot on location in Loxton so we decided that this will be where were headed.

We all met up at the Engen Garage at the bottom of Outiniqua pass at 5:30 as it was a long day of riding ahead. We had a support vehicle and by 6:00 everything was loaded on the trailer and we set off for Loxton.  Our group consisted of Myself on the AT, Dr Dirt -KTM 990, Lemac - Suzuki, Pad 1200GS , Dusty - 650GS, TrailRider and wife - Transalp, and one more rider that would only accompany us to Prins Albert as well as the support vehicle and crew..

P1020919.jpg

We decided we had to save a little time so we opted to stay on tar all the way to Oudshoorn where we would go over the Swartbergpass to Prins Albert.

"Trailrider and wife ons swarberg pass"
P1020923.jpg

"Dusty"
P1020924.jpg

P1020925.jpg

"Lemac"
P1020926.jpg

P1020927.jpg

P1020928.jpg

After a very welcome breakfast in Prins Albert we headed of again via gravel to Leeu-Gamka where we filled up again.
From there we took the tar to Fraserburg for a few km's but soon we took the turnoff for Oukloof pass that would take us all the way to Loxton.
Petrol was no worry because Loxton was close enough for us to fill up there. This part of the trip was a real blast! Very soon it was evident that the Karoo saw lots of water in the near history and the road was closed off. Nothing we cant handle on two weels though as we saw some great water crossings. (Unfortunatly I have no photos of the first crossing but maybe our other paparzzi on the tour could help me out with either photos or video?    ahem  hoes hoes, skimp.   Trailrider?)

Some time on our way to Oukloof  it became clear that my rear TKC  would not see the end of the trip. Our support vehicle also had tyre problems so they headed to Beaufort west to get some assistance. After a quick call they said they would check if they can also find something for me to replace said TKC.

Unfortunatly they found that Beaufort dont stock new bike tires but one of the friendly faces there said that he had a second hand Maxxis that we could borrow for mahala if I could just send it back to them when I get back to George.  UNBELIEVABLE!  I will now send it back to them together with any decent second hand tyre I can find that they might be able to use.

However in the meantime we continued on our path to Loxton through Oukloof.
Here are some of the pics taken between Leeu-Gamka and Loxton

"Dusty"
P1020929.jpg

"Pad'
P1020930.jpg

"Dr Dirt"
P1020931.jpg

P1020932.jpg

P1020933.jpg

P1020934.jpg

P1020935.jpg

P1020936.jpg

P1020937.jpg

P1020938-1.jpg

P1020939.jpg

P1020940.jpg

P1020941.jpg

P1020942.jpg

P1020943.jpg

P1020944.jpg

P1020945.jpg

P1020946.jpg

P1020947.jpg

P1020948.jpg

P1020949.jpg

P1020950.jpg

P1020951.jpg

P1020953.jpg

P1020955.jpg

P1020956.jpg

P1020952.jpg

What a great ride! The road surface was not the best, as the rain caused a lot of damage. This made the ride more technical as it caused lots and lots of water crossings. (once again no pics of crossings. Sorry . I was having too much fun to stop for pics)

After a  very long and exhausting , but still great ride, we finally arrived in Loxton.
Now to get to the camp and make ourselves presentable for the evening.

This is when we got our suprise!   Like I said, Dinge werk bietjie anders op Loxton.
Both fuel stations here close on a friday afternoon and only open on Monday morning!!!!  WTF. Now we were totally screwed. We didnt have enough fuel to get to the next town and our time was starting to become a problem as well!.
After a while of worry we decided to try the house next to the Agri to see if we could get help. Luckily this is a typical small town, where everyone is willing to give help if some is needed, and very soon they organised someone , or shoud I say, chased her out of her bath to come and help us.

After a little wait we got some petrol and were on our way again.

We got to Melton wold, where we set up camp and took a very quick shower before we headed to the farm Jakhalsdans for the premiere. (this time we opted for four wheels though)
We also met up here with another rider (Kevin - not sure if his on the forum) and his wife also on a GS1200

"The premiere"
P1020969.jpg

We all had a great time at Jakhalsdans and afterwards headed back to camp.  Most of the guys  headed straight for their tents but myself, Dr Dirt and Lemac decided that Melton Wold's bar needed a visit, and only after a couple of drinks we headed to our own tents for the nights rest.

DAY 2 with lots and lots  (and lots) of tyre problems coming soon.