Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Huskyman down at Amsoil Race today  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Huskyman down at Amsoil Race today
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:33:01 pm »
HHHusky had a tumble today at the second race of the Amsoil series at Rhinopark

Broken collarbone and according to his SMS he is going in for some extended carpentry tomorrow

Thanks to Jaghond and his Wife for taking him home and we've got his bike safely to our place until he is able to collect
Get well soon  :thumleft:
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Gee S

Re: Huskyman down at Amsoil Race today
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:00:42 pm »
Thats a kark one. Get well soon.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:35:25 pm »
Het ek daai KDX te mean gemaak :biggrin:
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »
Ag no man.

Heal quick, chicks dig scars.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »
Ag no man.

Heal quick, chicks dig scars.

He's gonna get screwed, and throw in a plate or 2  O0
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline HHHusky

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »
Plottie, Jagshond (and especially your wifes), and Splashes mates, sincere thanks for all the help. Collarbone smashed into 4 pieces, but already screwed, glued and plated together by overpaid carpenter.
Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:41 pm »
What some people won't do for a "screw"..  :peepwall:
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
Take it easy and heal well Husky! :thumleft:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline krister

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
Heal well, Broer!   :thumleft:
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure; BMW R1200GS

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:21:17 am »
Get well soon!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GRIM

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:19 am »
Sorry bout the fall, & glad you're doing OK...

Riding in the trial this Sunday?  :peepwall:

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline jaghond

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:41 am »
Pleasure helping  :thumleft: :thumleft:
And all the best for recovering
Live to play. Play to live!

Offline Splash

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:09 am »
Rhinopark is east of Pretoria making for a short trip this weekend. Quads went first in the morning and we went off at midday.  Did three laps totalling 160km in 4:07 at an average speed of 39km/h. Was not technical and speeds high (maybe a little too fast) –like a normal off road event. Disappointed that it was too easy. Imagine saying that. Finished in the bottom middle of the field – happy.

Shared pits with HHHusky who was trying this race on my suggestion that he would enjoy it. He did not! Broke his collar bone hitting a lurker (rock) on his first lap. Such bad luck. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Been exceptionally lucky. Race experience must be helping dealing with the unexpected. At all costs I try to remain on the bike, even holding on for dear life if necessary – the bike has suspension, I have nothing. If the bike flips, all bets are unfortunately off. Did not fall during the race which was a relief. Checked my computer, top speed was 116km/h – a crash landing would be hazardous to the bike, rather painful too. The bigger bikes would be reaching 140km/h if not more and an average speed of around 70km/h – looks to have stopped when these guys hurtle past. The winners are just even more insane. It is a race and that is what it takes to win. Maybe not for me.

The pits proved to be interesting. We parked on the edge of an operational runway. If one was not careful, a quad could take one out in the pit lane, otherwise a micro light while taking off.

My race highlight was the motocross track - sandy and wide with some big jumps (rolled over them). A long twisty section over a large field started the race off. They put in some short forest sections so one had to miss trees. A tiny bit of rocks which just begged one to ride up the little hill. Maybe next time they will use more of this section. The mielie fields smooth and easy to open up on. A few tiny muddy sections.

My bike’s air filter was very dirty by the end of the day – one had to take it easy in the dust.  The weather was good though. Cannot have everything.

Thanks to the race organises for a fun days racing.

Pictures:

Have bike, will ride.

Offline UFUDO

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:22 am »
Plottie, did your guys not race?
"Africa is not for Sissies!!"

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 01:05:37 pm »
Shit H sorry to hear but glad u gonna be OK :ricky:
FTS

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 01:12:18 pm »
Plottie, did your guys not race?

We did - will do a short writeup

Kurt on Quad (KTM 525) - 2nd in Open Class
Andri - 3rd 250 class
Riaan - 5th 250 class

I'll be out for a while due to my ligaments that are off
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »
Sorry to hear man - heal quick!
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
http://www.leondekock.com/
Building Plans - A Concise reference
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1093937
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1576543716

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »

Jammer om te hoor

Word vinnig gesond, soos hulle se Gals dig scars

:thumleft:

Offline HHHusky

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 09:33:16 am »
Crash report – like a ride report, but without the happy ending

Now honestly, I should never have crashed. I was keen to try a slightly longer race, and although I love the EWXC races (I never let lack of talent interfere with my enjoyment), I wanted to see if the KDX actually had a third gear. Maybe try and do more than 10 km in 2 hours. I heard from numerous EWXC warriors that the last Amsoil race at Naboomspruit was a nice mix of technical and more open riding, with reasonable speeds, and I was hoping that Rhino Park was going to be the same. It took about 500m of racing for me to figure out that this was going to be very fast, and guys came flying pas t me like I was standing still. Now as it will become clear, these fast off-road races are not my cup of tea, but the speed, skill and bravery (stupidity dressed up?) of the good riders was just awesome. I however realised that the speeds were way above my skill level, so I slowed down to well within my comfort zone. After the first few km’s a rider (think it was Johny Lochner, seasoned and super fast Masters rider) who had just passed me had a silly low-speed spill on a slippery corner, and as I stopped to assist I could see he was in real pain. Turns out he had broken his arm. I helped him get to some shade, got his bike out of the way, gave him a painkiller or two, and waited with him until his friend came and collected him. At some stage a marshal arrived and said the ambulance was not available, as some other rider had just had a bad high-speed crash. Whoo boy. This took probably twenty minutes, so when I finally got going again I was stoooooone last, and in no mood to follow the example being set by my fellow riders. So I really just pottered, having a bit of fun in the few twisty sections in the trees, but generally being an embarrassment to the sport. Then I was coming down a simple grassy twee-spoor track, and I started slowing down for the approaching corner (guess speed was around 20-30 km/hour, ok more, but the Mrs is editing this), and the next minute I hit the ground (think head/left shoulder made first contact) fucking hard. No warning, no bike getting out of control – just instant transition from riding to smash!!! When next I became aware, I was lying curled up on my left shoulder, stuck under a barb wire fence. I tried moving, but there was a searing pain in my left shoulder, and it made very wrong clickety noises. I couldn’t move, and slowly started rotating my body by using my legs, until finally I got out from under the fence, and onto my back. Lay there for a while, then rolled onto my stomach and used my right arm which seemed OK to get up. More bad pain and clickety noises, and I was too scared too look. I stood up, but I was feeling very dizzy, and think it was adrenaline that was keeping me up. I slowly walked to the bike, which looked OK, and contemplated what to do next. There was no one within miles, so the obvious thing to do was to wait for the race leader to come around as ask him to alert the medics, but in my dazed state I though that will be unfair to the leader, as he will lose time helping me. So I decided to try and get the bike going, and make my way help. I could see the entrance road was about 1km away, and I could see a marshal’s head sticking out over the long grass. Lifting the bike one-handed was no fun, and shoulder kept saying clickety-click and it just felt very wrong – but there was no blood so I knew it was not a compound fracture. Got bike upright, managed to get on, got it started, used right arm to move left arm so I could get the left hand on the handlebar, and off I trundled. Made it to the tar road, and just kept going, and drove right up to the medic tent. They helped me remove my helmet, neck brace and body armour, and it took about two seconds for the medic to figure out I need to get to Wilgers Hospital chop-chop. Then Plothond and Jagshond took over, and again I cannot thank them enough for getting me home safe. Then my saint of a wife took over, and this is what my collarbone looked like – white line is where the bone should be :eek:

Some screws, glues and plates later and I'm in one piece again, but for a few days I suffered from bad headaches, neck bruising, and many bumps and abrasions. Also bumped into a lady rider at the hospital who had badly damaged her foot at the race, plus the nurse mentioned there were several more hurt riders at the Hospital.

One week later I am however well on my way to recovery. Thing is, it was a hell of a hard fall, and it really was messing with my mind – what the fuck happened? So this morning I decided to go back to Rhino Park to get some closure. Here is the twee-spoor where I fell, and you can see the corner I was approaching – looks pretty innocuous

But look closer – to the left side of the track there are two lurkers, and the big one on the left is even now covered with crass cuttings, and almost impossible to see.

Here is a close-up of the bigger rock - nasty bloody thing

I must have hit one or both rocks, the bike probably high-sided me to the left (methinks my ample weight 105kg and very basic suspension of KDX might have been part of the problem – not much compression damping), and the arrow shows were I ended up

I remember a really heavy impact as I hit the ground, and as I walked from the lurkers to my final resting spot I came across this rock in the long grass right along my flight path – ten thousand years of accelerated rock-erosion courtesy of HHHusky!!! OK, maybe it was the bike, then again maybe it was me :mwink:

What did I learn from all of this? Shit happens – you ride a bike, you’re going to fall, and sometimes it is going to hurt. I’m OK with that. I do believe that the neck brace might have saved my neck by transferring the impact load on head and neck onto the collarbone. Collarbone can be fixed, so please get one. A brace that is – you probably already have a collarbone. Two actually. And use the best ATGATT you can afford – I am getting a new helmet and better boots. Finally, I however have to conclude that these off-road type events just are not a good idea for an amateur like me – the speeds are too high and the course is too long for organisers to mark all lurkers and dangerous bits. Although my accident was not speed related, I saw too many people badly injured on the day. For the same reasons, this new adventure class in the national off-road events is a really kaark idea, and people are going to get hurt – a 150 kg bike with limited suspension hitting a rock at 130km/hour with inexperienced rider on board is just plain stupid.  I will stick to the EWXC events, where Will will torture me, but I don’t think he will kill me.

Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:25 am »
Very difficult to mark lurkers like this if the route made with a brushcutter behind a tractor, if the route was made using hand operated brush cutters lurkers like this are easier to mark.