Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2 Stroke Enduro bikes  (Read 2884 times)

shark_za

Re: 2 Stroke Enduro bikes
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 09:58:34 am »
If you ride VERY fast you might be ok.

But seeing as its your first few events you will stall a lot and be more tired at the end.

At least a flywheel weight, change the sprockets to sort out the bottom, don't worry too much about the top end if you are not entering national offroads.

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 10:10:23 am »
Can u add weights, or do u replace the flywheel?
What effect does it have?
Cost of flywheel?
Cost of wr box?

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »
R4 500 for a wr box, but me research tells me its not really needed.
So the plan now is to sell the drz, get a yz of equal value. Then lots and lots of training.
And then to start racing enduros. Id like to do a enduro cross too

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »
Ettienne, you are on your way, good luck and enjoy!!
Years from now you can return to D/S with a wealth of offroad experience behind you.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »
Ettienne, you are on your way, good luck and enjoy!!
Years from now you can return to D/S with a wealth of offroad experience behind you.

Montagu...23 April...eek

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 06:26:37 pm »
I was lead to believe a 2t is cheaper to run than a 4t? Then I came cross this now:

The following applies to enduro riding

I am going through the buying process looking at 2t's and 4t's. I was shocked when I started calculating how expensive a 2t is to run.

- it is about twice as heavy on juice than my 4t
- you have to add R 25 per tank extra for good two stroke oil
- you have to redo top end every 150 hrs
- the tyre goes twice as fast (compared to 250 4t)

There is a huge misconception about 4t's being expensive - this is completely wrong. If you maintain both machines you will end up with double the running cost on a 2t. In the 5 years I have spend less than R 3000 on all my engine parts (racing since 2005).

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »
Ettienne, you could overhaul 4 YZ250's for what you have just spend on your 4T.

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 06:41:24 pm »

Cool!

Het die yz 'n seperate ding vir die 2t olie, of gooi jy dit in die tenk?

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »
In die tenk, 40 tot 1. [ 1lt olie by 40lt petrol ]

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:47 pm »
watse olie is beste? Prys?

Offline Riebeek

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »
Ettienne, moet asseblief nie Montagu doen vir jou eerste enduro nie, maak nie saak op watter bike nie.  Kies een hier in die Boland soos Wellington, Malmesbury, Darling of selfs Bredasdorp, maar net nie Montagu nie.  Daai klippe sal jou nie gou weer op 'n bike laat klim nie.

Tweedens onthou dat dit 'n paar Rand kos om 'n bike reg te hou vir 'n enduro.  Die onderhoud is strate meer as om naweke te speel, kyk 'n man verloor mos kop as al daai ander donners deur 'n moerse moddergat jaag en dit boonop hul agterwiel.  As jy by die huis kom en sien daai modder het die splinternuwe diskpads verwoes en jy kan nie daai handelbars terugbuig waar jy in die boom vasgef.k het nie - dan is jy spyt en heelwat armer.

Onthou 'n enduro fiets is heeltemal anders as 'n mx fiets.  Kyk selfs die vinnige enduro ouens soos Grim, Altus ensovoorts lyk bra stadig met hul enduro bikes tussen die mx ouens by Zone 7, maar sit hulle op 'n mx fiets dan bly hulle saam met die ander.

My keuse vir 'n enduro fiets is 'n KTM200 en as die geld skraps is 'n KDX200.  SÍ my eers wie sal 'n goeie enduro rider op 'n KTM200 met 'n KTM300 wen en dan verander ek dalk my opinie.
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
1980 Vespa P200E
2005 KTM 450 EXC (ex) 1984 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1983 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1986 Yamaha DT125 (ex) 1983 Honda MBX50 (ex)

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:40 pm »
kyk 'n man verloor mos kop as al daai ander donners deur 'n moerse moddergat jaag en dit boonop hul agterwiel.  As jy by die huis kom en sien daai modder het die splinternuwe diskpads verwoes en jy kan nie daai handelbars terugbuig waar jy in die boom vasgef.k het nie - dan is jy spyt en heelwat armer.

Klink of jy experience hiermee het? :D

My mind is opgemaak, ek het 'n Enduro YZ gevind, het iemand wat die naweek na die drz kom kyk, hopelik koop die persoon hom. Dan kan ek begin hiermee

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2010, 09:10:33 am »
Ok, so I have decided on a YZ250, that's what I want, and that's what I'll go for

Next question.
Wil the standard YZ, without wr box and flywheel, be able to do enduros? Or is that out of ze question totally?

Brett lewis won 3 Wp enduro titles and the 2006 sa enduro 200cc title

he raced standard kx250 box.
I also used standard Kx 250 box with 15 47 gearing for faster races.

The wr box is nice (my 450 is shimwells conversion with wr box) because you don't overef the motor so much and you don't have to run high gearing
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010, 09:16:07 am »

Ditto

250 4 smokes are heavy on valves if you ride them hard.
450 i do about 30 hrs on a top end and 100 on main or big end.

the 2 smoke oil  I would recommend is either Motul or Yamalube. they run cleaner and Yamaha likes them.
Even the gearbox oil. they make my clutches last up to 40 hrs.

150 hrs on a topend for a yz 250 is possible, but you will destroy the barrel and will have to replace or get it renicasiled.

I still think a good Yz 250 2 smoke is your best bet.
OH and DON"T do Montague as your first race you will never race again
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
So I was riding Gideon Joubert's YZ250 enduro today, the bike won the wellington offroad or something like that

OH MY GOODNESS!
46hp / 96kg , what an awesome machine.
You can ride it in 4th gear out of the powerband, downgear then it jumps into the powerband and just starts sliding.
Awesome suspension, awesome brakes and awesome power (no really, it's fast I can see myself getting into serious trouble with this) ;D
Im so sold on this bike!!! I want one!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:18 am »
It may interest you that there is a thread in ADVrider on racing with a DRZ400.  :eek7: Not quite the right bike but its a good read.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline atkinse

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Stoetbul Mod 101
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 07:53:25 am »
watse olie is beste? Prys?

Yamalube of Motul

Albei baie goed
Work to live, Live to Ride

Offline GRIM

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:20 am »
Ipone full synthetic strawberry flavor...
Alcohol is essentially natureís Leatt Brace Ė with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Huggels

• The Friendly
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Be a man what counts
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 09:25:57 am »
So I was riding Gideon Joubert's YZ250 enduro today, the bike won the wellington offroad or something like that

OH MY GOODNESS!
46hp / 96kg , what an awesome machine.
You can ride it in 4th gear out of the powerband, downgear then it jumps into the powerband and just starts sliding.
Awesome suspension, awesome brakes and awesome power (no really, it's fast I can see myself getting into serious trouble with this) ;D
Im so sold on this bike!!! I want one!

Does it have a WR gearbox? Those are very nice saw one in JHB on the gumtree the other day with WR gearbox... Think it was about R27k not sure though

Offline Padawan

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 10:44:44 am »
Ettienne,

Since I am new to the forum and planning to get into d/s biking, let my try and return the favor by giving you my 2c coming from enduro riding.

First, you are going to luv it! It's tough, but nothing beats the satisfaction and joy you get from conquering a really tough obstacle or finishing a really tough race. The community is awesome and you will make lots of new friends. 

My advice would be to get an enduro bike if you are planning to get into enduro racing - KTM, Gas Gas, WR, Honda X, Husky, TM...

The MX bikes cost a lot to convert and are never noob friendly enduro bikes...The converted yamaha is good if it has a weighted flywheel, wr box, kickstand, trip meter, bigger fuel tank, different suspension settings - all of this that a purpose build enduro bike covers out of the box.

The pro's can ride any bike to victory and have the sponsors to modify their bikes to do what they want it to do...so don't look at what they ride.

You can go and look at the e-dirt.co.za forum (great site) and even there people recommend you go for the right tool straight away. But is seems like you can get an already "enduro friendly" YZ.

In theory I also wanted the perfect bike that can do MX and enduro, but soon found for the mx riding I actually do the enduro bike is fine. So unless you plan seriously getting into MX and doing huge jumps - there is no need to get a mx bike. The mx bike will be a handful in technical enduro terrain, but most modern enduro bike can handle a mild bout of mx riding. Unless you get something like a KTM EXC or converted YZ - but again you will compromise in terms of it being a very "racy" enduro machine which doesn't really suit most noob riders. 

A great starter bike is the KDX 200. I started with it and if it was not for the "I want a new bike fever" I would still have been very happy with it. You pick them up cheap and once you know what your style is, what terrain you like to ride and have taken lots of other bikes for a spin - you get your weapon of choice.

2-strokes are awesome for enduro since they are light, fun and you learn more fundamental skills on them.

Also I reckon the smaller the better - depending on your weight. For most a 200 and 250 is fine. The 300s are nice, but I personally believe it is overkill and for "bigger" people/people that like to ride lazy. Why ride a bike at 60% of its ability because you are scared of the top 40%? Most people lug the 300s and never use the top end except on long straights (which your are not going to find in most enduros/hare scrambles).   

Rather learn to master a smaller bike and know you can handle it most of the time. But again that is just my opinion. I have ridden bigger bikes and prefer the KTM 200 because it is super light, you can point in anywhere, you can ride longer and it is super fun (you have to ride it aggressively).

See this article if cc's matter to you:
http://www.ktmworld.com/view_news_article.asp?id=16

Also, start with a smaller club race like an Enduro World Cross Country or a local hare scramble. Confidence and just finishing without too much drama counts for a lot...You can always move up.

I think for most noobs the first race is pretty intimidating. Lots of dust, lots of bikes next to you in a confined space all racing to get to that corner first or squeeze through that obstacle, large bottlenecks/bikes lying everywhere that require aggressively riding in between riders (if you don't also wanna get stuck), obstacles that you might encounter for the first time, the adrenaline rush of racing and the spectators (usually standing right next to those tricky obstacles).

Most importantly remember most of us do it to have fun!