Jaqhama is coming to the Dark Continent!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaqhama

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Yes that's right guys and gals I've made up my mind to come over and ride around in South Africa and hopefully Namibia, Lesotho and Botswana.

I have not yet decided on a definite date but I will be in-country for a month at least.

I won't be renting a bike because that's just too expensive for that long a period, also most SA bike rental companies have a per km charge also, and that just sux.

I am looking at buying either a brand new 250 to 400cc bike or a good condition used bike up to 650cc.

I would also be prepared to do some kind of a deal with a forum member who might be kind enough to offer me a bike.
My thoughts being it should be fully insured for me to ride; in the event of minor damage I would pay to have it repaired myself, major damage and we'll just claim on the insurance.
I would pay the excess.
After my trip I would pay for a service and tune up, and new tires, chain, sprockets and such like.
I would also be prepared to pay for the next 12 months worth of registration. (Whenever it is due).

I'm happy to negotiate.

I'll say right now that I'm not interested in anything over 650.
It's not that I can't ride bigger bikes on or off road because I can, it's just that I can't be arsed to struggle picking up the bigger bikes if I fall off them. :D
Especially when they have luggage on board.

I am currently looking for advice on the best month for me to come over.
Wino (who suggested I post all this up here) already informed me that Nov to Feb is the hottest time, although often rains in the afternoons.
So I'm wondering if I should be looking at Sept or Oct when it might be cooler and therefore better to do desert sections?

I'd also like help to plan a route and hopefully have some riding companions for some of the more remote places.

I am happy to camp provided it is safe to do so.

Looking at the WD ride reports it's obvious that there are plenty of privately owned hotels/pubs/campsites around.

I'd like to start in Cape Town, pick up a bike there, do rides of up to 500kms or so a day for a short period before heading off on a longer trip.
I read the ride report of the guys who rode to Namibia, then returned to SA thru Botswana.
That route looked good, except I would like to visit Walvis Bay and some of the deserted coastline.

So anyway, that's my ideas at present.

I've ridden alone thru other western and eastern euro countries and not had any problems.
I admit to being wary about SA because of all the crime stories I read about.
But I'm not detered by them, merely more careful in my approach.

Besides I've got to get over there before they tar Sani Pass. :shock:

Cheers: Jaq.
PS: is there a Cape Town newspaper online or website that lists lots of bikes for sale?