Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GPS Challenge - introduction of D/S motorcycles section.  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
GPS Challenge - introduction of D/S motorcycles section.
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »
This is a probing post to try and establish if there would be sufficient support from dual sport motorcycle owners (that is us, the Wild Dog Adventure Riders!) to partake in the so-called GPS Challenge competitions that have been held in South Africa during the past 4 years.  

Having partaken in such events in the past as a 4x4 activity, and knowing that preparations are at present underway for such an event in the near future in the Eastern Cape region, I raised the question to the key organiser ?What about a motorcycle section??.  Obviously the issue of terrain to be travelled was his first concern (I think he had a picture of some rider with his ass in the air leaning into a corner at 160 km/h on some superbike).  After explaining what adventure biking was all about he became very eager to investigate the possibility of introducing a D/S motorcycle section.  Needless to say sufficient support and interest from bikers would be required.

Briefly, the event is to be held over a weekend with one sleep over in the bush somewhere unknown (top secret in these competitions).  Competitors must navigate from given way point to way point in the shortest possible distance, using only a GPS and their ?gut feeling? of where to go.  Time taken is not important as this is not a race, but a navigation skill event.  Sponsors get quite involved, rules are strict, prices reasonably big (last competition I did the 1st price was worth R12 000), and the routes transverse off-road terrain that are usually not accessible to the general public (private land made available by owners for the competition).  Principally, it is a great fun and enjoyment!

Therefore, I need some indication of the level of interest from the forum members to convince the organisers and sponsors to introduce a ?bike section?.  Obviously the event dates, venue, etc will be deciding factors, but giving an indication of your eagerness to partake will help me to get it going.

Admin.  May this could be a sticky for a while? :wink:

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:26:40 pm »
this post has been stickied - duration depending on its popularity. :wink:

a question: what exactly do you mean by "the shortest possible distance" between points?

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:31:08 pm »
I will be interrested if Garmin sponsors me, with a gps, i am more than willing to put stickers on every possible advertising space on both the bike and myself (tatoos  anywhere x'cept my face(ugly enuf as it is.) :D

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 02:20:01 pm »
LS to answer your question:  The basic object of the challenge is to do the required course in the least km's.  You are given various coordinates, ie the so called waypoints, and must find each position using a GPS as navigation tool.  Now it is obvious that the shortest route would be a straight line from the one point to the other - as the crow flies.   But you are not airborne and must find your way overland using any available road, track, etc.  This is not as easy as it may sounds - the GPS always will indicate the direct line of travel, and, for example, you do not always know at an intersection which direction to take that will get you there!  If the wrong choice was made you have to back track, recording unwanted kilometers.

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:42:08 pm »
Dates for the challenge has tentatively been set as 16, 17 March 07.  Owner of local Honda dealership has also today shown great interest as possible sponsor.  He actually even went one better and joint the forum as Sideways.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:19:55 pm »
Klink baie cool

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:27:36 am »
I think it is an awesome idea. Now just got to get a GPS
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 12:06:17 pm »
I will love to do someting like this!!! :D
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline Kat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »
Same date as the Buffalo Rally 2007
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
Done similar in a 4X4. Would be interested, depending on date and venue.
1200GS

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:02:15 pm »
Quote from: "GIDEON"
Klink baie cool

SĂ?ÂȘ die man wat weet hoe om die kortste grondpad uit sy GPS te kry

Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 07:59:18 am »
:laughing3:  :laughing3:
You don'y get 'lost' using a GPS, you find 'alternative' routes..... :D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

shark_za

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:06:07 am »
Are the buffalo rally types and the GPS geek types the same people?

Offline Kat

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:36 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Are the buffalo rally types and the GPS geek types the same people?

What are you triing to say Sharky? :?:  :?:
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
GPS
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 07:52:21 am »
The concept of this is great, I will make an effort to attend something like this.

Comments:
- The locals of the area where the event is held will obviously have an advantage.  If the destinations / roads to them are not on maps, the gut feel thing can work but if it is jsut a matter of getting to a point and the roads are on the map, it will be quite simple.  The TOPO maps are very detailed.
- You will never find a date that is good for all.  Not sure how many "Buff" types will come to this kind of thing - it is something the organizers will have to determine and see how it will affect their event.

Go for it!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
Re: GPS
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 09:02:31 am »
Quote from: "SGB"
The concept of this is great, I will make an effort to attend something like this.

Comments:
- The locals of the area where the event is held will obviously have an advantage.  If the destinations / roads to them are not on maps, the gut feel thing can work but if it is jsut a matter of getting to a point and the roads are on the map, it will be quite simple.  The TOPO maps are very detailed.
- You will never find a date that is good for all.  Not sure how many "Buff" types will come to this kind of thing - it is something the organizers will have to determine and see how it will affect their event.

Go for it!

Speaking from experience, as I have partaken in such events (using a 4x4) it is not as simple as it sounds.  Finding your route on a topo map or even using GoolgeMap and a notebook with some internet connection (3G/wireless) would appear to be an easy way out.  However the organisers are quite aware of these "additional aids" and the routes are planned mostly along tracks and farmroads that do not appear in any detail on maps.  Also, and properly the most important factor, you simply do not know in which area the challenge is going to take place!

To cover all possible areas that may be used in a certain region, it is going to cost you plenty to obtain and take along all the TOPO maps for the region (only the 1:50 000 maps would be of any use to possibly see tracks etc.) - using a D/S bike you will have to invest in really large top box  :lol: .  Total distances to travel can be up to 200km.  Also the competitors are required to meet at a known venue, eg. maybe a sponsor's shop, and only there are you told from where the competition will actually start - this may be 80 km away in any direction.  You are given your waypoints, competition instructions, etc also only at his point when the competition starts.  You simply cannot prepare exclusively for a specific area beforehand!  Also internet connections are mostly not going to be available, hell, even cellphones usually do not even work on these routes.

I come 5th out of a field of 21 last year using a 10 year old Garmin GPS II - so the latest state of the art GPS does not necessarily give any competitor any better change of winning.  It is more about entering the co-ordinates correctly, following a track, doing the various tasks at each waypoint accurately, getting the correct info for the competition logsheet, etc - and a bit of luck in taking the correct initial turn at an intersection.

In the previous challenge out of PE, I really knew some of the areas very well, yet it was still a task to complete some of the tracks.  Local knowledge obviously is an advantage, but it still do not give you a real edge.  

These competitions are actually real fun (very similar to the TV series The Amazing Race) and what I find most enjoyable is the fact that one get to explore new and interesting outdoor places.  Obviously the lekker big prizes on offer make these adventure trips so much nicer
 :D

Offline Offroad Adventurer

• Pack Dog
    • http://www.african-expeditions.com
GPS
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:23 am »
We organise breakfast runs for our 4x4 and DS bike club that are GPS based. :o

The riders get the first coordinate and when they get there they look for the next one, etc. :lol:

We have another event on the 4th of Feb if any of you are interested... it is great fun and follows as many unpaved roads as possible.

If any of the WD's want to give it a try then please PM me so that I can arrange with the restaurant.

All are welcome - you pay for your own breakfast.

Use either PM or offroad@iafrica.com 0825661821
reg
Cape Town
DT175 1984
DT175 2005
KLR 2006  "All men die, but not all men live!"

Offline Leo

Re: GPS
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 10:19:47 pm »
Quote from: "SGB"
"Buff" types

??????  :?

I think I'm the Buff type  :wink: (Have a good time), but I can also like to GPS challenge.   :wink:

.......just can find dates that suite me :?
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 01:31:57 pm »
FEEDBACK regarding GPS Challenge event

Just had a phone call from the major sponsor and organizer of this event.  Unfortunately this particular event will be restricted to 4x4 type cages only :sad:.  Apart from very limited response and commitment from D/S riders, certain landowners across which some of the routes are planned apparently were not in favour of allowing "scrambler hooligans" onto their land (obliviously some no-brain hormone driven off-road junkies made droog big time in some farmer's fields) and now all motorcycles owners belong to the same family of nonconformists.

Nevertheless there is still space for entrants.  It will be a one day event out of Port Elizabeth on the 10th of March at R250 per vehicle and R75 per person for the after event braai/pricegiving.  PM me for specific details.

Sorry :sad: I would really have liked to give it a try.  All the same, I am partaking in my Jeep (entrant no. 3 on the list).

Perhaps we can plan some thing similar at the next year-end bash, a mini-GPS challenge would be lekker. :wink:

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 03:33:48 pm »
Well, wish me luck!   :shock:  Partaking in this event tomorrow, albeit using my 4x4 cage.  Number of vehicles at this time 25, 90+ persons.  Weather forecast lekker - 30 deg's,  no rain.   Look like it will be a very enjoyable day.  Will take lots of photo's and gather valuable info re possible future routes for adventure biking around PE.  I am still a bit sad that my suggestion and wishes for dual-sport motorcycle participants did not materialize   :cry:  Next time perhaps  :?: