GPS Challenge - introduction of D/S motorcycles section.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
This is a probing post to try and establish if there would be sufficient support from dual sport motorcycle owners (that is us, the Wild Dog Adventure Riders!) to partake in the so-called GPS Challenge competitions that have been held in South Africa during the past 4 years.

Having partaken in such events in the past as a 4x4 activity, and knowing that preparations are at present underway for such an event in the near future in the Eastern Cape region, I raised the question to the key organiser ?What about a motorcycle section??. Obviously the issue of terrain to be travelled was his first concern (I think he had a picture of some rider with his ass in the air leaning into a corner at 160 km/h on some superbike). After explaining what adventure biking was all about he became very eager to investigate the possibility of introducing a D/S motorcycle section. Needless to say sufficient support and interest from bikers would be required.

Briefly, the event is to be held over a weekend with one sleep over in the bush somewhere unknown (top secret in these competitions). Competitors must navigate from given way point to way point in the shortest possible distance, using only a GPS and their ?gut feeling? of where to go. Time taken is not important as this is not a race, but a navigation skill event. Sponsors get quite involved, rules are strict, prices reasonably big (last competition I did the 1st price was worth R12 000), and the routes transverse off-road terrain that are usually not accessible to the general public (private land made available by owners for the competition). Principally, it is a great fun and enjoyment!

Therefore, I need some indication of the level of interest from the forum members to convince the organisers and sponsors to introduce a ?bike section?. Obviously the event dates, venue, etc will be deciding factors, but giving an indication of your eagerness to partake will help me to get it going.

Admin. May this could be a sticky for a while? :wink: