DR650SE - Lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossies

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Following on a request from another old post of mine here is some info on how I lowered Mrs Bossies DR650SE.

1. Fitted 20mm bar raisers and pushed the forks through the yokes. Le Cap has a more permanent and correct way of removing spacers in the forks so that you don't need to adjust the yokes. As can be seen the forks are pushed through by about 2". This has made the steering very quick and when stationary the bars want to fall to either side. On the move the bike is very stable.
CIMG0678.jpg

2. Fit longer (or shorter depending on bike) links / dog bones. The standard link on the DR650SE is 115mm between centres of bolt holes. The longer links I had made as a favour from a engineering company is 140mm from hole to hole. Also move the suspension bolt at the bottom of the monoshock to the lower setting (refer to photo)
CIMG0681.jpg

CIMG0682.jpg

CIMG0683.jpg

3. Shorten the side stand
CIMG0692.jpg

4. Cut foam out of seat but leaving enough so that it's still comfortable. What usually gets uncomfortable is the remaining edges of the seat that cut into your thighs. So don't take out too much.

CIMG0685.jpg

New seat height is 750mm unladen. With rider seated I would guess at 675mm. The DR650SE brochure says its 845 high on the standard lower setting. So this exercise will lower it by a further 10cm.

Mrs Bossies is 5.1 and she gets her feet down almost flat now and there is sufficient ground clearance for the average rough gravel road.