Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GlenInk`s 2006 KLE 500 Thread !  (Read 71828 times)

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
Re: GlenInk`s 2006 KLE 500 Thread !
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »
To be honest ... this bike was the biggest mistake I ever made!!!! >:(
I bought it in October for R17k and it was supposed to have been in use by a guy in Kimberly and he used it for touring with his wife, but it was underpowered so he was selling it. He resprayed plastics, fitted new switches, tyres, sprocket & chain. It was an 93 model with 35 000k on the clock and motor had never been opened.

New switches are chinese crap and off is on etc - failed roadworthy because of this (and rusty spokes).
I bought it unseen and first he couldn't deliver as he had a church function on so he brought it the next week ... but instead of arriving at noon he got here at 7pm - in the dark.

I used it on the Monday and noticed an oil leak (he had told me about a small oil leak from the gear shift seal) so I gave it a high pressure clean and next day weent to PTA ... oil filled up the bash plate and was dripping onto the floor when I parked.
Turned out casing was cracked and the motor had been opened as silicone was everywhere.
It was bad, cost R6k to fix inc new cam chain & tensioner. Next it needed a radiator cap, then waterpump seals and now it looks very bad. Rad fan comes on after 10km on a highway at 120km/h .....
I might sell it as spares - plastics, tank frame wheels etc are all okay

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2010, 03:06:46 pm »
To be honest ... this bike was the biggest mistake I ever made!!!! >:(
I bought it in October for R17k and it was supposed to have been in use by a guy in Kimberly and he used it for touring with his wife, but it was underpowered so he was selling it. He resprayed plastics, fitted new switches, tyres, sprocket & chain. It was an 93 model with 35 000k on the clock and motor had never been opened.

New switches are chinese crap and off is on etc - failed roadworthy because of this (and rusty spokes).
I bought it unseen and first he couldn't deliver as he had a church function on so he brought it the next week ... but instead of arriving at noon he got here at 7pm - in the dark.

I used it on the Monday and noticed an oil leak (he had told me about a small oil leak from the gear shift seal) so I gave it a high pressure clean and next day weent to PTA ... oil filled up the bash plate and was dripping onto the floor when I parked.
Turned out casing was cracked and the motor had been opened as silicone was everywhere.
It was bad, cost R6k to fix inc new cam chain & tensioner. Next it needed a radiator cap, then waterpump seals and now it looks very bad. Rad fan comes on after 10km on a highway at 120km/h .....
I might sell it as spares - plastics, tank frame wheels etc are all okay

Eish, that is just plain bad  >:(
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »
Rant on :

I went to my local spares place two days ago to order an oil filter for my bike, so they order one. No problem they say. went in yesterday and no filter, call gets made, they forgot . . . . So no problem, everything happens slowly in this town so not much of an issue.

Went back today and they tell me the filter is there ! Cool? NO ! They sent the wrong filter !!! So ok on the phone, they will send the correct filter asap. Cool? NO !!! I asked for a price  . . .  R190.00 ! For an oil filter? You have got to be kidding me !!!!  Couple of weeks back I was at a bike shop in Queenstown and they have the filter I`m needing for R97.00. I did not have any money at the time so could not get one . . .

Is it just me or is there something wrong here?  ???

RANT OFF !

Ok so I`ve let off steam and now I`m still in the same boat . . .

Is there a vendor on the forum that can supply me with an oil fiter for a KLE 500, 2005 model, part number 16097-0004 ? If so how much postage included?

I would be grateful for the help !

Thanking you kindly !

Glen

Glen,

The oil filter I've always got from my local bikeshop for the KLE is the same as for a CBR600 if i remember correctly, I think it was Vesrah SF4007?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline buzzlightyear

• Grey hound
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
Rant on :

I went to my local spares place two days ago to order an oil filter for my bike, so they order one. No problem they say. went in yesterday and no filter, call gets made, they forgot . . . . So no problem, everything happens slowly in this town so not much of an issue.

Went back today and they tell me the filter is there ! Cool? NO ! They sent the wrong filter !!! So ok on the phone, they will send the correct filter asap. Cool? NO !!! I asked for a price  . . .  R190.00 ! For an oil filter? You have got to be kidding me !!!!  Couple of weeks back I was at a bike shop in Queenstown and they have the filter I`m needing for R97.00. I did not have any money at the time so could not get one . . .

Is it just me or is there something wrong here?  ???

RANT OFF !

Ok so I`ve let off steam and now I`m still in the same boat . . .

Is there a vendor on the forum that can supply me with an oil fiter for a KLE 500, 2005 model, part number 16097-0004 ? If so how much postage included?

I would be grateful for the help !

Thanking you kindly !

Glen

Glen,

The oil filter I've always got from my local bikeshop for the KLE is the same as for a CBR600 if i remember correctly, I think it was Vesrah SF4007?

According to Vesrah it is SF4005, http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/dirt_oil_filter.asp and enter 16097-0004 in the OEM field.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:27 pm »
Engine is out. Water pump seal looks new, but we did discover the clutch arm is badly worn (haven't measured clutch yet) and it also seems as though balance shaft is unbalanced (I just thought it was quite vibey for a twin - same as my boet's BMW 650).

Engine will be apart for me to see tomorrow but it seems as though we'll do headgasket and o-rings on the barrel as a precaution ... eish this is costing me money .... soon it will be a brand new bike!!

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »
Atleast when you done you will know its good !  :deal:

Good luck !  :thumleft:
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »
It needs a rebore, pistons and big ends ..... but pistons are already 0.5mm oversize so the fun starts .....

Don't forget this is a motor the buyer told me he'd never opened, but it had recently been opened and resprayed. Obviously someone went to great lengths to make a piece of shit look nice........hope he dies slowly!

Offline buzzlightyear

• Grey hound
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2010, 04:37:32 pm »
Unfortunately buying 2nd hand can mean this.   :-\ That's why I prefer to check things out myself or have it checked by someone you can trust.

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2010, 08:50:36 pm »
Yup ..... I got conned coz I trusted someone I didn't know.
Mow, the bike is already bored to its max so I need to find a s/hand barrel or complete engine or sell it as spares ...... anyone need KLE bits?

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:36 pm »
Yup ..... I got conned coz I trusted someone I didn't know.
Mow, the bike is already bored to its max so I need to find a s/hand barrel or complete engine or sell it as spares ...... anyone need KLE bits?

Eish man, can`t they resleeve it?

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2010, 05:27:09 pm »
I can get std sleeves and pistons but spares will come to R7k and labour, engineering etc will easily be R4k.

The other problem is that the clutch plates r worn way past the limits and I'm then stuck with a '93 KLE that owes me way over R30k.

if I don't spend the money to fix it I've got no bike (just a heap of bits) and it will be cheaper to fix it than buy another 'cheap' bike. If I fix it at least I know what I've got ..... the most valuable '93 KLE in the world!!

Offline buzzlightyear

• Grey hound
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2010, 05:58:34 pm »
Remember the ER5 road bikes had/has the same engine, so you *might* get stuff easier, maybe an engine from a pranged bike?

Offline steveKLE laptop

• Pack Dog
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
There was also a GPZ500 with 10 hp more .... but I have never seen one here

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2010, 09:11:14 pm »
Found a trashed ER5 motor with a useable barrel so I'll buy new pistons, rings etc and do the job properly  ... then I end up with a '03 KLE that I'll have to keep forever .... yeehaa!!

Offline buzzlightyear

• Grey hound
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32:08 pm »
Good man, that's great news!

Offline cassiebotha

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLX 400SR
  • Olie misbruiker Ge-org Zuid Afrikak
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32:42 pm »
Hey Glen
EK het juis ook my user manual gedownload en is lus om my bike te strip as ek kans kry.  Ek ken 'n pel wat goed daarin is en gaan hom vra om my te help om te kyk na die lugfilter en die oliefilter. Asook die petrolfilter en natuurlik die olie af te tap.  

Jy moet bietjie kyk op internet vir die KLE se user manual.  Daar verduidelik hulle nogal lekker breedvoerig hoe en waar alles in mekaar pas
Moes grootword, bike moes gaan
Moes in George werk soek want ek wil nie trek
Moes bike verkoop ding lek te veel olie

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:55 pm »
Hey Glen
EK het juis ook my user manual gedownload en is lus om my bike te strip as ek kans kry.  Ek ken 'n pel wat goed daarin is en gaan hom vra om my te help om te kyk na die lugfilter en die oliefilter. Asook die petrolfilter en natuurlik die olie af te tap.  

Jy moet bietjie kyk op internet vir die KLE se user manual.  Daar verduidelik hulle nogal lekker breedvoerig hoe en waar alles in mekaar pas

Ek het klaar die service manual op pdf file Cassie  :thumleft:

Cassie KEN JY VAN SPANNERS SWAAI? As jy nie weet hoe nie los dit eerder anders gaan dit jou n` klomp geld kos !  :deal:

Offline cassiebotha

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLX 400SR
  • Olie misbruiker Ge-org Zuid Afrikak
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:59 pm »
Nee maar my bike het al sy tools bygekry
Ek wonder of dit goeie idee sal wees om te karring
Moes grootword, bike moes gaan
Moes in George werk soek want ek wil nie trek
Moes bike verkoop ding lek te veel olie

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:26 am »
Nee maar my bike het al sy tools bygekry
Ek wonder of dit goeie idee sal wees om te karring

Nee moet eerder nie karring nie ! If its not broken don`t fix it !  :thumleft:

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
Right, spares have arrived so I'll deliver them to the shop tomorrow and get a new bike next week .....
Might take pics of the motor tomorrow