de wildt - new rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazy-eyes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
for those of you that ride de wildt regularly, here is some feedback on some recent happenings:

As we all know, good riding areas are becoming increasingly under threat and many have already been lost due to various reasons, from development to abuse.
With this in mind, Butch Hirsch and myself (Gary Franks) welcomed the opportunity to meet with Municipal Counsellor Maleta, the PR authority for the Madibeng Municipality - this is the area into which de Wildt falls. Butch kindly offered the use of his helicopter to let the Counsellor point out sensitive areas from a bird's eye-view.
It turns out that Mr. Maleta is a very reasonable gentleman, and a very productive meeting ensued. The long and short of it is that the local authorities actually welcome the bikers in the area as, for some reason, it seems to keep the crime level in the area down! This was good news indeed!

They would like to keep a good relationship going between themselves, the locals and us, the bikers. Also good!
The immediate problem is 2 or 3 roads which we need to stay off completely!
The one is a new tar road which, for some reason I can't fathom, quads and bikes have been using to get to the "3 fences" riverbed. Why would anyone choose to ride a quad or a dirt bike on tar when there is a sand road option? The pics will hopefully help you identify which road it is, but let me explain as well.
After the "Red Sands" or "Pipeline" sections, many head for 3 fences. You should cross the tar road at the end of the pipeline road and head along the twin-track road towards the beacon. Some are choosing to rather go down to the T-junction and turn left onto the tar road to get to the beacon. The problem is this tar road is a very cheaply built road and has already shown signs of damage from the off road tyres. Guys, whatever the reason is, there is a perfectly good option open to us - let's use it and respect their wishes!

The 2nd problem follows on closely. Where the beacon is, we usually turn left to travel down the long boring straight road to the start of 3 fences, then right into the riverbed just before the bridge. From now on we are to not turn left onto this road. Rather continue straight past the beacon for about 1.4 km's and then turn left, which will take us into the "Twisty Riverbed", which leads to 3 fences. The other access road to Twisty River, which runs right past some farm-houses, should not be used at all.

The 3rd one is apparently used by quads who travel down the previously mentioned long boring road to the start of 3 fences, but they go past the bridge and then turn right onto the next sand road (maybe because the early parts of 3 fences are not quad friendly?) Sorry guys, they don't want us to use this road either - you need to find another way that does not take you right past homes!

What is really impressive is the Counsellor has taken a very friendly approach to this situation and would like to work with us rather than against. He has agreed to discuss in his monthly meetings with his team, any problems we might experience eg. wire tied across the trail, shootings etc - to see how they can assist us! This is refreshing, especially when compared with other municipalities where they have arrested bikers, confiscated bikes etc!

Guys, let's please support this request and talk to everyone we know who frequents the area, so we can look after the best area we have in this part of the country! I hope the pics help - if you have any queries, please contact me.

Regards,
Gary Franks
Enduro World Magazine
Tel: (011) 792 1136
Fax: (011) 792 1134
Alt. Fax: 0866 868 370
Cell: 083 283 1869

dwng1_336.jpg

dwng2_101.jpg

dwng3_445.jpg