Pre-Rallye Raid Outing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Saturday morning ProAction meeting at 7:00 for an adventure bike ride. Maraisburg the playground and test track. Rallye Raids planner, Mike Glover, who recently competed in Romaniacs and who by chance may decide that this years Rallye Raid needs a new novel challenge or two. We are going to be ready and not disappoint or let KTM down.

Somewhat apprehensive of taking a heavy bike through “technical” terrain. Took my mirrors off as a precaution. Did drop my bike once or twice, rather minor and most probably would not have done any harm anyway.

The first section of Maraisburg is through a Blue gum forest. Time to test ones cornering abilities and to ride the odd whooped section. So far so good.

It was getting hot, or was I just working up a bit of a sweat. These are big bikes that require some force to keep the rubber side down.

We left the usual mine-dumb climbs out - had to be satisfied with riding around. No one was complaining. One of the climbs was attempted by a 990 with little success. Too much power and little grip from the dual sport tyres. A good effort anyway. The same rider did enjoy doing wheelies. Nothing like racing down a town’s main road following a group of bikes with the lead bike on its back wheel. We had arrived and the town was ours. Tell that to the major.

The open trails were a breeze and the bike just soaked up the track. What a pleasure to ride.   

The sand sections took a little more technique. I enjoyed the power of the bike and almost never rode in a straight line. Too much fun to have the back of the bike sliding at the mere thought of opening the throttle.

Mud was another story. My first taste was a deep rutted stream crossing. No line looked easy calling for some momentum and luck to keep the bike from bogging down. Most managed reasonably well. A 990 was dug into a muddy rut which was asking for a good workout to get it free again. Thanks to help of some riders (I was taking pictures and did not want to get my camera dirt!) it was pulled free. I did a similar trick in a rut and needed some help too. I was not about to pick the back of my bike up out of the rut. Rode more carefully around muddy section.

Did an interesting step-up. Looked daunting, the alternative a way around. It was time to test the ground clearance of my bike. Up I went, unfortunately doing a little paddling. Most impressed though. The other bikes made it over as well. Also had a little step-off which I was not brave enough to jump, survived by keeping my weight right back, bum on the rear fender. 

Lunch was enjoyed at Uncle Harry’s in Randfontein. Time to chat and enjoy good riding stories.

Thanks Pro Action, Terry and fellow riders for a great day. Glover, we are getting ready for you!

Pictures:
Marais728.jpg

Marais729.jpg

Marais734.jpg

Marais737.jpg

Marais747.jpg

Marais762.jpg

Marais771.jpg

Marais781.jpg

Marais789.jpg

Marais804.jpg

MaraisMap.jpg