Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010  (Read 4848 times)

Offline NMEXPAT

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
Hello fellow riders. I was refered to Wild Dog bulletin board by ADVRIDER and Horizon's Unlimited. As the title states, my wife and I are traveling to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup. We are coming from Houston, Texas. We are following team USA for the first round and hopefully the 2nd round! We are so excited to visit your country.

I've been adicted to adventure riding for years now. In the past we've had a lot of help from ADVRIDER and Horizon's unlimited on previous moto trips. So I thought I'd try Wild dog for some assistance.

So far we've purchased our airline and match tickets. We are traveling on June 5th and returning on July 4th. We are looking for some help with finding a motorcycle and lodging. Our basic idea is to find a "home base" and travel around the country by motorcycle when not watching matches. The USA is playing games in Johannesburg, Rustenburg and Pretoria. To my understanding they are all relatively close by, especially compared to Cape Town.

The Bike:
I've done some preliminary research on shipping, renting and purchasing a motorcycle in SA. I've narrowed it down to either purchasing or renting a motorcycle. To be honest I prefer to purchase a bike with an agreement for buy back. I'm looking for something 600cc or larger with passenger pegs. I'm not really brand loyal, but do prefer japanese only because that's what I'm familiar with. It can be a dual sport or sport tourer. Since we will only be in the country for 1 month, size and comfort can be comprimised a bit. For example, the furthest trip we may take is to Durban.

Any recommendations on who to contact for something like this? I'd like to start the conversation early.

Lodging:
Anyone want to host a fellow adventure rider or know someone who may want to host? We would like to find a "home base" near the Jo-berg or Pretoria areas. We will pay a monthly rent for a single room in a family home. We are traveling on June 5th and returning on July 4th 2010. Looking FWD to meet some South Africans folk and actually get to know them. My wife and I are both professional, laid back types who like to travel. We are both 30 years old. I work in the oil business and she works in environmental consulting. Can share more info with interested parties.

Here's a link my post on ADVRIDER, basically the same info but with some pictures thrown in.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12419887#post12419887

Looking forward to seeing our wonderfull country!

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:43 pm »
he he I also do environmental consulting as part of our consulting engineering firm. EIAs and EMPs. Im in pretoria. I have a large house and spare rooms. You would be welcome to pop in and stay.

How many days accomodation do you need? Just a few nights between trips? Im not confortable taking money from people. Especially just to stay in something already here and paid for.. Maybe just throw in some meet or whiskey. Its not like you moving in, just a home base while you tour.

Only one condition, some may take offence, but then they dont have to come here. Its just my beliefs; You are both white. I raise my kids like that. If not, no offence.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »
a pic of them on advrider
Rallye

Offline NMEXPAT

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:48 pm »
he he I also do environmental consulting as part of our consulting engineering firm. EIAs and EMPs. Im in pretoria. I have a large house and spare rooms. You would be welcome to pop in and stay.

How many days accomodation do you need? Just a few nights between trips? Im not confortable taking money from people. Especially just to stay in something already here and paid for.. Maybe just throw in some meet or whiskey. Its not like you moving in, just a home base while you tour.
We need a place we can stay / sleep off and on during this month period and store our stuff - helmets, soft luggage, boots etc. The USA games are on June 12th, June 18th, June 23rd. We have match tickets for June 26 or June 27th depending on group game outcome. Before the games start, in between games and after June 27th we will be traveling around SA. Don't know where yet on the off days. We are still researching trips consisting of a few days at a time. Our goal is to find a safe and steady place and actually get to know some South Africans, who happen to ride.

We MUST pay rent for our stay, etiher money, food, booze or some combination.

Only one condition, some may take offence, but then they dont have to come here. Its just my beliefs; You are both white. I raise my kids like that. If not, no offence.

Thanks for being straight about this.
I'm Mexican American and my wife is White. Now what does that mean to you? I guess you could say I have Spanish and American Indian blood in me. I have olive colored skin. Here's a link to a photo of me
http://tunastuna.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/A-moto-Christmas-in-Mexico/1002327/450778626_KpAPE-M.jpg

I can share more information via PM or email if you want.
Thanks so much for replying!

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:16 pm »
We have lotsa places to ride here, after all it is Africa!!  :thumleft:

Awesome scenery, lovely gravel roads. You guys will love it here.

I can see in the end you will skip the soccer games and just ride and ride  :imaposer:  :thumleft:

Offline Robski

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »

Wow, thats a little embarrassing... but each to their own I guess?...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:23:10 pm by Robski »
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »
             To be honest I prefer to purchase a bike with an agreement for buy back.                     

Don't know if you will be able to pull that off bud. Cheapest way is to rent, believe me!! The money you will loose when selling after a month, will be more than the rental bill I think. Maybe someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.

Maybe a WD member on here has a second bike they will rent out? Don't know, worth a try?

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:08 pm »

Thats a little embarrassing... but each to their own I guess...  :-\

Maybe, but let it slide. If this turns into a R&P thread it will be even more embarrasing  :thumleft:

Offline Robski

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »
Should I delete to keep the peace?
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline HeadNorth

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:29:21 pm »
Welcome in advance to our country!! I am in Nelspruit, awesome area for riding, stunning mountain passes and close to Kruger Park. I have a vacant garden cottage on my property. You are welcome to stay here, be glad to show you some South African hospitality.

Oppad

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

I'm afraid the damage has been done. FFS, these are educated, well-travelled people. On the one hand HVDM has to commended for his honesty, if not for his views. I'm afraid that attitudes like this will only serve to entrench perceptions that South Africans and Afrikaners are die-hard racists - even worse, attitudes like this bode nothing good about a future South Africa. Since about December last year this site has become a repository of right-wing views rather than a biking site. I do not feel at home here anymore and will be taking a break for a while.

Offline fixit

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:44:19 am »

What!!! FFS!!! What is the bloody difference. HVDM, I cannot believe you said that?????WTF!!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline jshump

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:27:59 am »
WTF indeed!!!!! :dousing:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Ė Mark Twain

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:39:14 am »
The man is entitles to invite into his home whomever he wishes to .... its his home.

its possibly a tad off colour though
Born to lose, live to win!!

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:51:36 am »

bad darts hvdm.  :o

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:00 am »
Insensitive, sad and really embarrassing.  :-\

To add too Sot's comment, this is not the view and ideology of most white South African's and also of this site.

Offline HVDM

• BANNED
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:06 am »

We need a place we can stay / sleep off and on during this month period and store our stuff - helmets, soft luggage, boots etc. The USA games are on June 12th, June 18th, June 23rd. We have match tickets for June 26 or June 27th depending on group game outcome. Before the games start, in between games and after June 27th we will be traveling around SA. Don't know where yet on the off days. We are still researching trips consisting of a few days at a time. Our goal is to find a safe and steady place and actually get to know some South Africans, who happen to ride.

We MUST pay rent for our stay, etiher money, food, booze or some combination.

I'm Mexican American and my wife is White. Now what does that mean to you? I guess you could say I have Spanish and American Indian blood in me. I have olive colored skin. Here's a link to a photo of me
http://tunastuna.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/A-moto-Christmas-in-Mexico/1002327/450778626_KpAPE-M.jpg

Ok, then you are welcome. Drop your stuff, stay the nights you need in Pta, make any contribution you feel you need to make. I have an outside room with toilet seperate entrance etc, or you can stay in the main house. Give me notice when you arrive, and if you need transport from the airport etc.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:14 am »

I'm afraid the damage has been done. FFS, these are educated, well-travelled people. On the one hand HVDM has to commended for his honesty, if not for his views. I'm afraid that attitudes like this will only serve to entrench perceptions that South Africans and Afrikaners are die-hard racists - even worse, attitudes like this bode nothing good about a future South Africa. Since about December last year this site has become a repository of right-wing views rather than a biking site. I do not feel at home here anymore and will be taking a break for a while.

Agreed.

Racist views appear to be in the majority (perhaps just amongst the vocal participants) on this site. International adventure riding sites seem to mostly be populated by open-minded types who are delighted to encounter and explore the world and all its peoples.

Our site, because it's so local, has become a social/friendship space for many of its members, and as such, apparently a free space for expression of offensive (at least to some of us) views. I often think that international riders - not to mention the few black riders who happen by here (and immediately leave) - must be quite shocked by some of what they read.

Personally I'm of the opinion that expressions of racism in any form should be restricted to sordid little braais or AWB forums of some other type. Really, they've got nothing to do with riding a bike, and are quite at odds with SA today, let alone a SA about to host the World Cup. Orania beckons - and the busts of all the old monsters on the hill need a polish!

Offline espresso

• Bike: Mars (all models)
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:06 am »
WTF indeed!!!!! :dousing:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAargh.
WTF. HVDM keep your racist remarks for amongst your friends - I certainly aren't one of them.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:47:28 am »

you're very understanding of the issue... that aside though, welcome to SA. Please note, we don't all share this view (in fact from what you've seen as replies on this thread most of us are opposed)

be that as it may, i have 1 question, 1 suggestion and 1 request:

question: will you be visiting cape town at all?
suggestion: organise a dual sport bike
request: see as much of the country, and travel as many far away gravel roads as you possibly can! the real beauty of south africa is neatly tucked away in it's backroads and small towns, and, of course, the cape  :mwink: