Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Carlos

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
Re: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 10:51:41 am »
I have a 1 bedroom flat that I rent out as a self-catering unit..if you in Port Elizabeth and need a place let me know and I can keep it for you..otherwise just pop in for a drink :)

Offline Tagsy

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Piss poor planning, Piss Poor Performance
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:20 am »
Hi Guys
Based in Limpopo, North West 2-3 hours from Pretoria, we have spare rooms etc, if you come this side no problem, PM  if you need anything
"life's too short, deaths' too permanant"
That's why I have a KTM

Offline TC

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 12:27:49 pm »
HVDM
Wow - in today's day and age comments like yours boggle my brain. I feel sorry for your kids being brought up in such a racist manner. Hopefully they will learn that prejudice based on religion / sex  / skin colour etc is a load of BS! I could go off on a tirade for another 10 pages, but I suspect that your beliefs are so deep rooted that you wouldn't pay 2 seconds worth of attention to any logic.
I'm proudly South African, as long as the majority of South Africans are not like you! Moron.

Offline Oetie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »
I am speechless  ???  :-[
Live life to the fullest!!

Offline Iron Shark

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
Guys get a life... YOU are all entitled to your own views and opinions....

HVDM was man enough to speak his mind and the "Guests" were fine with responding to his comments ....

SO DROP IT NOW PLEASE ...

Go talk race and politics somewhere else!

Kawasaki KH 175 - sold
Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - sold
BMW 1200 GS - sold
BMW 1200 GSA - loving it

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:53 pm »
Only one condition, some may take offence, but then they dont have to come here. Its just my beliefs; You are both white. I raise my kids like that. If not, no offence.
Thats a little embarrassing... but each to their own I guess...  :-\

I'm afraid the damage has been done. FFS, these are educated, well-travelled people. On the one hand HVDM has to commended for his honesty, if not for his views. I'm afraid that attitudes like this will only serve to entrench perceptions that South Africans and Afrikaners are die-hard racists - even worse, attitudes like this bode nothing good about a future South Africa. Since about December last year this site has become a repository of right-wing views rather than a biking site. I do not feel at home here anymore and will be taking a break for a while.

Not all of us Sot, but the technical section has died
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:03:20 pm »
I'm sure there was another way this cat could have been skinned...   

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »
Fook I can't believe you guys ran with this.

Nice, fooked up thread, thx agfain to "YES we are allowed to discuss R&P on the forum"  >:D

I so wish that section will dissapear overnight  >:D  >:D

Sick and tired of reading about it, only place were there is NOTHING about it is in the For Sale section  :pot:  :pot:  :pot:

I think he must rather avoid any of us WD members and search overnight place somewhere else, well if I was him I would do that in anycase.

Offline NMEXPAT

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:09 pm »
I didn't expect my thread would turn out this way. It is puzzling to me.

Anyways,  I didn't know how to respond, but I appreciate his honesty because IF we arrived and didn't meet his criteria to enter his house, then we would have a tremendous problem.  It is his house and I would have to obey his rules if I were to stay there.

I would appreciate it if we can keep the R & P out of this thread. My wife and I really need some help and want to meet fellow adventure riders!

I will respond to each post individually.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 09:33:31 pm »
Don't know if you will be able to pull that off bud. Cheapest way is to rent, believe me!! The money you will loose when selling after a month, will be more than the rental bill I think. Maybe someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.

Maybe a WD member on here has a second bike they will rent out? Don't know, worth a try?

I should clarify, I wa thinking of purchasing a USED bike.

The idea I roughly had, was to purchase the bike (basically a full 100% deposit) use it while we are there, return it to the owner, receiving my deposit back LESS some previously agreed upon amount. In the worst case bike is stolen or damaged beyond repair, the owner has his money. If there is slight damage I pay for repairs. The agreement could include new tires, oil change etc, in exchange for use for this period.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:48 pm »
Welcome in advance to our country!! I am in Nelspruit, awesome area for riding, stunning mountain passes and close to Kruger Park. I have a vacant garden cottage on my property. You are welcome to stay here, be glad to show you some South African hospitality.

Thank you so much for the offer. I can find Nelspruit on the map, in general to the North West of Johannesburg.

What is the traveling time to Pretoria, Johannesburg and Rustenburg?

The matches we have tickets to are in these cities. Some Matches will end in the evening, so I need to consider traveling at night back to your place.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »
Ok, then you are welcome. Drop your stuff, stay the nights you need in Pta, make any contribution you feel you need to make. I have an outside room with toilet seperate entrance etc, or you can stay in the main house. Give me notice when you arrive, and if you need transport from the airport etc.

I will respond via private message with my email address so we can discuss further.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »
be that as it may, i have 1 question, 1 suggestion and 1 request:

question: will you be visiting cape town at all?
suggestion: organise a dual sport bike
request: see as much of the country, and travel as many far away gravel roads as you possibly can! the real beauty of south Africa is neatly tucked away in it's backroads and small towns, and, of course, the cape  :mwink:

Thanks for responding. My wife and I will try to visit Cape Town, it appears to be very far from the Johannesburg / Pretoria area. We have gap days of roughly 5 days. Is this enough time to travel round trip to Cape Town and actually get a feel for the city.

One of our objectives is to travel on as many gravel roads as possible, that's why I'm here on this website.  I'm originally from New Mexico, which is very rural and high desert area with lots of Mountains. One can travel hundreds of miles on dirt roads without seeing another person. Unfortunately Texas is not like that.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:23 pm »
WELCOME !!!!

Ignore some of the shit and dumbass comments above, lets talk bikes and all the AWESOME places to ride and see in SA.

I agree with the_wes, get a Dual Purpose bike, any brand will be fine. KLR650, DR650, 650GS, Transalp, all of these will be more than suitable for your requirements.

With regards to riding places, Gauteng will be a great base to ride from, the only "problem" is that all the really nice places to ride (Mpumalanga, Eastern Freestate, Lesotho, Kwa Zulu Natal etc etc) is between 2 and 4 hours away. But there are some great rides in the areas around PTA/JHB that is great for day rides.

I cannot help with a bike or place to stay, but I can take you on some rides in the areas surrounding Gauteng, even a trip or two to the Eastern Freestate.

Enjoy your time here!

Just remember you will always get the small minority, that share completely different views from the main. I guess you get that everywhere, don't let that upset you or spoil your trip to our amazing country.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 09:53:32 pm »
I have a 1 bedroom flat that I rent out as a self-catering unit..if you in Port Elizabeth and need a place let me know and I can keep it for you..otherwise just pop in for a drink :)

We will keep you in mind. My wife and I are thinking of visiting Durban or Port Elizabeth on the coast, especially because Cape Town is so far away from Johannesburg / Pretoria area. I'm thinking travel time to Port Elizabeth is less than Cape Town?

I'm interested in the coast because I work as naval architect. We've had projects stop in Durban before.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »
Hi Guys
Based in Limpopo, North West 2-3 hours from Pretoria, we have spare rooms etc, if you come this side no problem, PM  if you need anything

Thanks so much for the offer!

We will keep you in mind. Please understand we are still working out our accomodation and travel details. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the country. I think I found the "Limpopo" state on the map. Since I'm still getting my bearings, I can't commit right now. We have a few months to work out arrangements.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
WELCOME !!!!

I agree with the_wes, get a Dual Purpose bike, any brand will be fine. KLR650, DR650, 650GS, Transalp, all of these will be more than suitable for your requirements.

With regards to riding places, Gauteng will be a great base to ride from, the only "problem" is that all the really nice places to ride (Mpumalanga, Eastern Freestate, Lesotho, Kwa Zulu Natal etc etc) is between 2 and 4 hours away. But there are some great rides in the areas around PTA/JHB that is great for day rides.

Yes I'm looking for any of those types of bikes to either rent or purchased used from a member here. They would work just fine. In between games, we will have roughly three seperate 5 day gaps to visit some places. The 1st and last days would be travel days, anywhere from a few hours ride away to the entire day. while we are away will need to find a place to stay such as guest house, but most of our stuff would stay at our home base.

I cannot help with a bike or place to stay, but I can take you on some rides in the areas surrounding Gauteng, even a trip or two to the Eastern Freestate.

Enjoy your time here!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

We are really looking forward to our trip. We've been losts of places before, but we consider this a trip of a life time. Once we have a home base sorted out and a bike sorted out, we will be asking for information about destinations and routes.
 :ricky:

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »
SA is not that small as it may appear  :biggrin:

You will have to do alot of planning to go everywhere you want, and still work in your Soccer Matches.

JHB to Cape Town is around 17hours. That is via tar, not gravel. Nonstop riding.
JHB to Durban around 6hours.
JHB to Port Elizabeth 13hours.
JHB to Nelspruit 4 hours.
JHB to Pietersburg 3hours.

There is alot of far off places to see via gravel, but that takes time. So in the end, if your planning is not tip top, you may loose out on some places  :thumleft:

I suggest you decide on two or three areas, and go do a decent ride there. Otherwise you will hop so fast from one place to another to be everywhere you will miss out on alot.

But just ask, we all here will help bud  :thumleft:

Offline darkhelmet

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »
Don't know if you will be able to pull that off bud. Cheapest way is to rent, believe me!! The money you will loose when selling after a month, will be more than the rental bill I think. Maybe someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.

Maybe a WD member on here has a second bike they will rent out? Don't know, worth a try?

I should clarify, I wa thinking of purchasing a USED bike.

The idea I roughly had, was to purchase the bike (basically a full 100% deposit) use it while we are there, return it to the owner, receiving my deposit back LESS some previously agreed upon amount. In the worst case bike is stolen or damaged beyond repair, the owner has his money. If there is slight damage I pay for repairs. The agreement could include new tires, oil change etc, in exchange for use for this period.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough.

I think your stay is too short to consider buying a bike.
And riding a bike in some one elses name is what hiring is invented for  ::)
I think that hiring is the best most hassle free option you have

I've had very good experiences with Sama Tours in Pretoria. Prices for 7+ days can be negotiated. They picked me up from the airport and I could leave all the stuff I wanted behind. They are very helpfull, maybe you can send them and email : http://www.samatours.co.za/

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »
I think your stay is too short to consider buying a bike.
And riding a bike in some one elses name is what hiring is invented for  ::)
I think that hiring is the best most hassle free option you have

I've had very good experiences with Sama Tours in Pretoria. Prices for 7+ days can be negotiated. They picked me up from the airport and I could leave all the stuff I wanted behind. They are very helpfull, maybe you can send them and email : http://www.samatours.co.za/

Thank you for the suggestion on Sama Tours. I've seen thier website. Some tour operators and motorcycle hiring companies are using "high" season" rates for the time period during world cup, when normally this is "low season".  I'm still researching my options.