Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010  (Read 4850 times)

Offline NMEXPAT

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:13 pm »
Wife and I are open to a "braai" and meeting Wild Dog members and other international riders. I don't mind discussing this topic in my thread. Doesn't bother me one bit. Glad to know some more riders are coming over for the games!

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Offline must be...

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • appreciate the plate...
    • must be...
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 10:56:51 am »
Well, this is awesome, I hope to find more riders who will be using our roads during the world cup... NMEXPAT - What I suggest is what I was advised by adverturer and I will be doing the same.

Once you have planned your routes, and have a solid Itinerary, then best would be to post it in the Planning a ride section, there we can all see where we could maybe hook up for said "braai" & "kuier" plus it's also important so that if you ever run into problems along the way there are always Dogs around to help out.

I will be touring the world cup following the dutch team on the bike throughout the whole tournament so it would be awesome to check out others who are doing similar ventures. Cannot wait!

If anyone wants an idea of our tour, without Itinerary yet... you could always check out the blog - http://bikeworldcup.blogspot.com/ and if we're in the same area at the same time, we'd dig to meet as many Dogs along the way...

O0
a newbie to the biking world, can't believe what I been missing... touring the world cup with our GS... pleased to meet you all

Offline Tuareg

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »
Diego....
If you decide on Cape Town for a stop over, let me know
We've got a spare room, a view of the mountain & a couple of vuvuzelas
Payment down south is far more sophisticated........ Tequila!
Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »
If you find yourself in Cape Town and you need a place to stay I have more than enough room, you are more than welcome. You are welcome to PM me your e-mail address if you need to correspond closer to the time. Even if you find yourself here and whatever you planned did'nt work out we will be here even at short notice. I have access to a full bike workshop and spares if you need to do any maintainance.

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »
I will be touring the world cup following the dutch team on the bike throughout the whole tournament so it would be awesome to check out others who are doing similar ventures. Cannot wait!

Wooohooo! I will also be supporting fellow Dutchmen at their game in Cape Town!

PS. I like the color of their shirts...

Offline Loka

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Loka Studios
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »
What's up NMEXPAT! Another Yank... I'm coming out from NYC, checking out a couple of matches as well (Germany vs. Australia in Durban). C U there.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:28 pm »
Just wanted to give an update on Becky's and I World Cup plans.

With the help of so many WD members we have a place to stay in the Joburg area.  :ricky:

We've discussed having a brai and we want to meet the WD members. I'll discuss with our hosts and see what they have in mind. I don't want to over step here.

We've receive offers to stay at other WD members homes. Unfortunately we're not heading out West to Cape town and such, so we can't take them up on their gracious offer. The offers are very much appreciated.

We are just over 1 week away from our departure to SA. We can't wait!

We've finally worked out a tentative plan for the days between matches. Our basic travel plans are for Eastern SA, Kwazulu- Natal, Mpumalanga and Limpopo areas.  There is a chance of traveling to Bloemfontein for a round 16 game. Depends on the group stage.

Any suggestions on where to stay in Rustenburg for the night of June 12th?

I'll list them out our travel plans below, please give me your advice

June 13th - 17th 5 days / 4 nights
St. Lucia / Isimangaliso wetland park area on the East coast

June 19th -22nd 4 days / 3 nights
Hoedspruit area / Kruger Nat. park

June 28th - July 1st 4 days / 3 nights
Drkensburg / Lady Smith area

Who do you guys think?

Mark and Hannalie if your reading this, plese PM me!

Offline CaptainCrash

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2010, 09:35:40 am »
There is quite distance between Ladysmith and the Berg. So unless you are staying with some one there I would try and find a place in the Drakensberg there is lots more to see and do there.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:16 am »
Any suggestions on where to stay in Rustenburg for the night of June 12th?

Come stay in Magaliesburg, I am 35km from Rustenburg. PM if interested.

Here's my view  ;D

Rustenburg is here:    
                                                                                     |
                                                                                     |
                                                                                    \|/
                                                                                     V
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:53:02 am by DeepBass9 »

Offline Beemer Mike

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:44 am »
Give us a call if I can help with  ANYTHING, even suggest ride routes, etc.

Cheers
Mike
BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »
There is quite distance between Ladysmith and the Berg. So unless you are staying with some one there I would try and find a place in the Drakensberg there is lots more to see and do there.

Thanks for the advice. I simpy stated Ladysmith since on my map it looks like the biggest village around. Believe it or not trying to find places to stay from the US is quite difficult, names, general location and booking is not as easy for us.

Yes the point is to see the Drakensberg area.

Thanks again!

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »
Come stay in Magaliesburg, I am 35km from Rustenburg. PM if interested.

We would love to but I'm unsure of the logistics.

The game this particular evening USA vs England begins at 8:30pm. Game is 90 minutes, so we won't be leaving untill 10:00pm in a perfect world. Traveling at night on a motorcycle has us concerned. We have a place to stay near Joberg, but have been advised not to travel back at this time at night.

We are trying to find a place closer to town or near the park and ride facilities.

Is this even realisitic?

Without actually having set foot in SA yet, I don't know what to believe.

If you believe FIFA, everythings grand and perfect. If you read other news (even R &P here on WD) things are otherwise. The other media gives us the impression there's a mugger on every corner at night. Not trying to start a R & P thread but explain the dilema of a traveler and reading the various biased news sources.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »
Give us a call if I can help with  ANYTHING, even suggest ride routes, etc.

Cheers
Mike

Since we now have a known general idea of where we want to go and when, I've been checking out the other parts of WD. I found the recommended accomodation thread and it was very helpfull.

I'm going to PM some other members who have offered us a place to stay in other parts. so keep an eye out for a PM if you contacted awhile back.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2010, 11:32:51 pm »
Like any other Country we also have our more high risk areas. But the places you will overnight, will tell you where to go and where not.

If you go to any game in Soweto, go in and go out. Don't go look at the night life after the game ended at 22h00.

But when you are here, just ask any local peeps about the different risk areas, they will help.

Generally speaking it is safe here, as long as you don't go looking for trouble. Overseas media always makes it 10 times worse than it actually is.

Offline must be...

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • appreciate the plate...
    • must be...
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:32 am »
I love this country, it's beautiful... I went to a rugby match in Soweto for the first time last week, and the locals are so inviting, but I agree, don't go looking for nightlife there after the game, the country will be awake this whole month, so you'll always find a place to be...

I really think the overseas media blows everything out of the water... if it were the way they said, we'd be in the middle of a civil war.

I'm sure you'll love every moment of it! it's just like any other place, it's just that our dirty laundry has been there for everyone to see for years.

Hope to spot you on the road! I'll actually be in the Drakensberg region on the 28th June, I'm sleeping over in Fouriesburg on the 27th... it's one of the most beautiful parts of the country, be sure to plan your route that it passes through the Golden Gate National park... breathtaking!
 O0
13 days to go!!!!!!!!
a newbie to the biking world, can't believe what I been missing... touring the world cup with our GS... pleased to meet you all

Offline CaptainCrash

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2010, 02:29:11 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I simpy stated Ladysmith since on my map it looks like the biggest village around. Believe it or not trying to find places to stay from the US is quite difficult, names, general location and booking is not as easy for us.

Yes the point is to see the Drakensberg area.

Thanks again!

No problem there are quite a few sites dedicated to tourism in the Berg area which will give you places to stay and things to do. Here are links to a few:
http://www.drakensberg.org.za/
http://www.drakensberg-tourism.com/
www.drakensberg-accommodation.com/

One of the earlier posts mentioned Golden Gate, if you are staying in the Northern Berg it is definitely worth riding through here to Clarens there is some great scenery. 

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:58 pm »
2 places to stay in the Drakensberg area, I have stayed at both & loved them :
cheap , clean, with good food

Fouriesburg Country Inn
http://www.fouriesburgcountryinn.co.za/

Bingelela
http://www.bingelela.co.za/

both extremely biker friendly
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son

Offline Jakes1

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2010, 10:36:29 am »
Hi There

You must be excited by now. Well if you decide to come down to cape towm you are more than welcome to stay a night or two at my place. My wife and i live in a town called Paarl and is about 60 km from cape town. You can rent a bike from ktm cape towm. email - jakesdebeer@yahoo.cm

Cheers

Offline Rooies

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »

The game this particular evening USA vs England begins at 8:30pm. Game is 90 minutes, so we won't be leaving untill 10:00pm in a perfect world. Traveling at night on a motorcycle has us concerned. We have a place to stay near Joberg, but have been advised not to travel back at this time at night.

Agree with your concern.  My wife and I don't travel at night either, especially between towns.  The risk and stress associated is in my opinion not worth it.

I'm glad to see your trip is coming together nicely.  Hope we can meet at the Big Braai.
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:52 am »
Well if any of you are down in the Addo area, we have the Orange Elephant. FREE camping to Wild dog members and tourists :laughing4: on bikes. Pull in and join the fun!!!!!!!
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com