Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010  (Read 4851 times)

Offline NMEXPAT

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re: Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2010, 09:22:17 pm »
I really think the overseas media blows everything out of the water... if it were the way they said, we'd be in the middle of a civil war.

Thanks for replying and letting us know more about the situation in SA. Sometime's my replies and questions to WD members makes me feel like an idiot. At least I know not to believe the media 100%. Thanks for being patient with my questions and concerns.

Hope to spot you on the road! I'll actually be in the Drakensberg region on the 28th June, I'm sleeping over in Fouriesburg on the 27th... it's one of the most beautiful parts of the country, be sure to plan your route that it passes through the Golden Gate National park... breathtaking!

Thanks for the heads up about Golden Gate National park and Fouriesburg. I found it in our atlas. We will look it up on the internet. This is near bethlehem and Lesotho border, right?

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:27 pm »
No problem there are quite a few sites dedicated to tourism in the Berg area which will give you places to stay and things to do. Here are links to a few:
http://www.drakensberg.org.za/
http://www.drakensberg-tourism.com/
www.drakensberg-accommodation.com/

One of the earlier posts mentioned Golden Gate, if you are staying in the Northern Berg it is definitely worth riding through here to Clarens there is some great scenery. 

:thumleft: Thanks for the websites. I'm checking them out right now. You don't know how helpfull they are for us! For some reason when we internet search we never find the good SA sites. I think it has to do with our IP address in USA that google wants to give us other types of sites.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:58 pm »
2 places to stay in the Drakensberg area, I have stayed at both & loved them :
cheap , clean, with good food

Fouriesburg Country Inn
http://www.fouriesburgcountryinn.co.za/

Bingelela
http://www.bingelela.co.za/

both extremely biker friendly
WOW! :thumleft: Excellent websites. Very informative. Thanks! Need to show the wife.

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »
Hi There

You must be excited by now. Well if you decide to come down to cape towm you are more than welcome to stay a night or two at my place. My wife and i live in a town called Paarl and is about 60 km from cape town. You can rent a bike from ktm cape towm. email - jakesdebeer@yahoo.cm

Cheers

Thanks for the offer Jakes1. Unfortunately we can't make it to Cape town. Thanks for other invitation!

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »
Agree with your concern.  My wife and I don't travel at night either, especially between towns.  The risk and stress associated is in my opinion not worth it.

I'm glad to see your trip is coming together nicely.  Hope we can meet at the Big Braai.

Thanks for confirming previous advice. It now looks like we will take a match day bus from Joburg to Rustenburg round trip. Looking forward to meeting!

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:58 pm »
Well if any of you are down in the Addo area, we have the Orange Elephant. FREE camping to Wild dog members and tourists :laughing4: on bikes. Pull in and join the fun!!!!!!!

Addo is near Port Elizibeth? If so we won't be making it near there. Thanks for the invitation!

:deal: WD members continue to impress with the never ending invitations and warm welcome! Becky and I wish we had more time in SA! :ricky:

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 07:41:29 pm »
Just had a thought .........
With all this talk of riding round the Drakensberg / Fouriesburg etc - you are aware that it is winter here ?

http://www.southafrica.co.za/weather/
http://www.southafrica.co.za/what-you-need-to-know-about-visiting-south-africa/

I had a mental picture of you both riding through Golden Gate in shorts & a t shirt in the freezing cold
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:45:16 pm by Wild Hearted Son »
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
With all this talk of riding round the Drakensberg / Fouriesburg etc - you are aware that it is winter here ?

Yes, we're aware that it is winter. We're bringing our winter gear, which in short consist of the following for riding:

1. sock liners
2. wool socks
3. BMW Santiago pants, jackets with liners
4. Wool sweater
5. Long underwear, tops and bottoms
6. Leather gloves & liners.
7. helmet liner.

Sticking to mostly tarmac and not planning on riding any of the high / major passes.

Thanks for thinking of us!!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2010, 07:03:32 am »

Yes, we're aware that it is winter. We're bringing our winter gear, which in short consist of the following for riding:

1. sock liners
2. wool socks
3. BMW Santiago pants, jackets with liners
4. Wool sweater
5. Long underwear, tops and bottoms
6. Leather gloves & liners.
7. helmet liner.

Sticking to mostly tarmac and not planning on riding any of the high / major passes.

Thanks for thinking of us!!

yep at dawn each day this week it has been sub zero, but a pleastn 18 to 20 C in the afternoon...see you soon
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Minora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »
Man I can't wait for your ride report NMEXPAT. . .   :deal:  Please share your experience with us when you return home.

Enjoy every single moment of your stay!!! :thumleft:
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »
i am going ot be at the usa game on froday afternoon , so if you wanna hook up and have a bud or 2 pm me yr mobile number and i will call u
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
Man I can't wait for your ride report NMEXPAT. . .   :deal:  Please share your experience with us when you return home.

Diego and Becky are staying with me while in JHB, and went to the opening concert - got home at 2am, then went to Eng/USA game in Rustenburg, and got home close to 3am - on a bike!!! Respect!! Say the park and ride is not up to scratch. Currently off to visit another dog in Empangeni till Friday, but sure they will update sometime :thumleft:

Offline must be...

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • appreciate the plate...
    • must be...
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:05 pm »

Diego and Becky are staying with me while in JHB, and went to the opening concert - got home at 2am, then went to Eng/USA game in Rustenburg, and got home close to 3am - on a bike!!! Respect!! Say the park and ride is not up to scratch. Currently off to visit another dog in Empangeni till Friday, but sure they will update sometime :thumleft:

Cool stuff Pistol... would dig to meet you Diego and Becky - I live in the area... we leave on Saturday for our 2010 World Cup Bike Tour.
a newbie to the biking world, can't believe what I been missing... touring the world cup with our GS... pleased to meet you all

Offline Brink

• Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »
Would like to have a drink with them Pistol - maybe we can organize get-together at Cesco's???
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2010, 08:41:25 am »
Trying to get the drinks thing together when they return on Friday - Would I has offered his house as a potential BBQ!!! venue.

Offline must be...

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • appreciate the plate...
    • must be...
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2010, 09:43:39 am »

Cool stuff Pistol... would dig to meet you Diego and Becky - I live in the area... we leave on Saturday for our 2010 World Cup Bike Tour.

Plans have changed, we leaving on Friday... maybe we'll see you guys in the Berg round the 28th June... please PM your mobile number if you keen... thanks
a newbie to the biking world, can't believe what I been missing... touring the world cup with our GS... pleased to meet you all

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »
Diego here, at just blip it's house. we haven't checked WD while we've been here in SA, we've been going every where having a good time.

Becky and I are having a great time in SA. We've been here nearly three weeks now and it has been fantastic. We've met quite a few Wild dogs, and everyone is so nice. The only thing that has upset us, is the quality of the play by team USA.

Becky and I will be posting as ride report when we return to the USA.

Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2010, 09:15:49 pm »
Pity the USA did not make it to Bloem... would have been a blast meeting you guys. :thumleft:

Offline Minora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »
Come on Diego, the suspense is killing - we want a report  ;)
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline NMEXPAT

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »
Come on Diego, the suspense is killing - we want a report  ;)

You know the symptoms of an excellent trip? Upon returning and facing the real world at home gives you one huge headache. It hasn't been easy coming to terms that our trip is over. The worst part of the trip, was not riding in below freezing weather but realizing that our new found "Africa disease" will not get a fix soon enough...

Becky and I have made it home safely. In short we had an outstanding trip to South Africa. This was a trip of a lifetime for so many reasons!

We will be posting a ride report at Wild Dogs. We are still sorting through the 2900 photos we took. We're also trying to find time together to put our words down from both perspectives.

Wild Dogs should not only be proud of their members but their entire country.

A ride report is coming please be patient.