Traveling to South Africa for World Cup 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMEXPAT

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Hello fellow riders. I was refered to Wild Dog bulletin board by ADVRIDER and Horizon's Unlimited. As the title states, my wife and I are traveling to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup. We are coming from Houston, Texas. We are following team USA for the first round and hopefully the 2nd round! We are so excited to visit your country.

I've been adicted to adventure riding for years now. In the past we've had a lot of help from ADVRIDER and Horizon's unlimited on previous moto trips. So I thought I'd try Wild dog for some assistance.

So far we've purchased our airline and match tickets. We are traveling on June 5th and returning on July 4th. We are looking for some help with finding a motorcycle and lodging. Our basic idea is to find a "home base" and travel around the country by motorcycle when not watching matches. The USA is playing games in Johannesburg, Rustenburg and Pretoria. To my understanding they are all relatively close by, especially compared to Cape Town.

The Bike:
I've done some preliminary research on shipping, renting and purchasing a motorcycle in SA. I've narrowed it down to either purchasing or renting a motorcycle. To be honest I prefer to purchase a bike with an agreement for buy back. I'm looking for something 600cc or larger with passenger pegs. I'm not really brand loyal, but do prefer japanese only because that's what I'm familiar with. It can be a dual sport or sport tourer. Since we will only be in the country for 1 month, size and comfort can be comprimised a bit. For example, the furthest trip we may take is to Durban.

Any recommendations on who to contact for something like this? I'd like to start the conversation early.

Lodging:
Anyone want to host a fellow adventure rider or know someone who may want to host? We would like to find a "home base" near the Jo-berg or Pretoria areas. We will pay a monthly rent for a single room in a family home. We are traveling on June 5th and returning on July 4th 2010. Looking FWD to meet some South Africans folk and actually get to know them. My wife and I are both professional, laid back types who like to travel. We are both 30 years old. I work in the oil business and she works in environmental consulting. Can share more info with interested parties.

Here's a link my post on ADVRIDER, basically the same info but with some pictures thrown in.
https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12419887#post12419887

Looking forward to seeing our wonderfull country!