Wild Dogs Do Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ride to Berg River Dam

After receiving loads of replies and lots of PM's I invited a whole bunch of riders, WD's and friends to join me on this ride. :D

I managed to obtain permission to ride to the top of Middelberg koppie which is between the new dam project and the town of Franschhoek.

We had a quick briefing regarding the route (in case some riders got lost) and soon we were riding. Well that is what we are here for!!!

We left Durbanville and got onto the gravel :lol: just next to the Fisantekraal informal settlement. The road "tosses and turns" and soon we are in the Joostenberg small holdings.

Regroup

DSC00004Medium.jpg

DSC00005Medium.jpg

DSC00006Medium.jpg

DSC00008Medium.jpg

We then took the road passing the Tygerberg zoo and then again onto the gravel to rejoin the tar at Klapmuts.

DSC00009Medium.jpg

A few of the riders missed a turn :oops: and after about 10 minutes they found us and then we had to wait for len who had gone to look for them. I called Frik to say we would be about 15 minutes late. :(

And so as we approach the bridge crossing the Berg River we spot Frik waiting for us. :D

So we stopped and all met Frik.
DSC00012Medium.jpg

DSC00014Medium.jpg

DSC00016Medium.jpg

DSC00017Medium.jpg

Len explaining his point to Mark
DSC00018Medium.jpg

Madal contemplating!
DSC00019Medium.jpg

DSC00020Medium.jpg

DSC00021Medium.jpg

DSC00022Medium.jpg

We finally get going and after signing through security we start the road, or should I say track to the fire lookout. I drove the track a year ago and it has got BAD. The riders had been warned of this and I had suggested to Frik and Lance not to bring pillions.

After making it to the first place to stop we did and within the forst 500m a few riders had taken a tumble. :shock: :shock: I would grade the the track 4 (other opinions are welcome).
DSC00023Medium.jpg

First view of the dam.

DSC00024Medium.jpg

The track (Hey I was not going to stop and take the pics of the bad parts - I would have fallen off). :oops:
DSC00025Medium.jpg

At the first stop
DSC00026Medium.jpg

DSC00027Medium.jpg

Finally we arrive at the fire lookout and the top of the mountain. :D
DSC00029Medium.jpg

Almost at the top
DSC00032Medium.jpg

At the top

DSC00031Medium.jpg

DSC00036Medium.jpg

The dam from the top
DSC00038Medium.jpg

DSC00039Medium.jpg

DSC00040Medium.jpg

Brekkies was calling and so we did the descend. Amir and I took the eastern track which was much better until I came around a corner and found a fallen tree across half of the road...and it just happened to be the side I was on. I saw my #%$&^. :( :oops:

Hey Africa is not for sissies. :)

Brekkies at the Franschhoek Inn (food was amazing) :lol:
DSC00041Medium.jpg

Frik went over the pass to Greyton and we all went home via the backroads.

DSC00048Medium.jpg

DSC00051Medium.jpg

Thanks to all the riders.
Clive, Bruce, Philip, Colin, Lance, Amir, Madal, Mark, Frik, Francois, Chris, John, Steve, Mike, Len and Edric :wink:

Next time I promise a more mundance run with no rocks and wash aways.