A Visit to Sasol Ellisras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
We (me (650 VStrom) and PH(1200GS)) got a invite from Wyntand(had a 1150GS) to visit him at Sasol's Mafuta open cast coal exploration mine at Ellisras. All that we had to bring was sleeping bags. The rest (food and drink) will be there. Seeing that I have never been in an open cast mine I had to accept it. After SWMBO shuffled her schedule (thanks SWMBO) the date was set for the 6th of March. PH quickly had to do a Microlight flying session in the morning so the time was set to leave at 7 AM from his place and breakfast in Thabazimbie. As things go I got a SMS at 6:30 saying that he is not going to make 7 and have to postpone to 7:30. At 7 he phones and says that he should be ready by 8 but will phone. He phoned just before 8 saying that he is leaving the airfield now and will meet me at the house. When I got there he was still busy packing.

I have been awake since 5. My initial idea was to leave by 6, breakfast by 9 (in Thabazimbie) and on the gravel (sand) roads by 10. I knew what the gravel (sand) roads look like and how hot it can get so I wanted to be there early and take it easy. Well that didn’t happen. We got away at 8:20. So far no breakfast.
IMG_1981.jpg

We quickly stopped in Harties to fillup and check that everything on the bikes is fine. Ok sorry only the GS had to check.
IMG_1983.jpg

This is still a beautiful bike.
IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

The idea was to still stop in Thabazimbie for a breakie (ok lunch now) because neither of has eaten anything so far. From here it was just straight on to Thabazimbie. As we got into town PH was in front and I see him looking at the Sput as we pass it, and he just goes on. Well then it will be the Wimpy I thought. We got to the Wimpy and he just goes on. No stopping. So as we leave town I realise that there will be no eating here today. I was going slower and slower and PH just carries on. I am sure that he got into some sort of meditated state and didn’t realise what he was doing. I eventually just gave up and on we went.

I was looking for a specific turn off from the road and on the map it said Sentrum. So I assumed that we will be able to get something to eat there as Wyntand said that there would be not lunch. We (I) eventually found the turn off, but there is nothing. PH is still in his meditated state and don’t realise that we are here. A little bit further on with the road I saw a little shop where I pull over and leave PH to go on and do his own thing. At the shop I got a non heartburn steak and chilli pie and a coke. They took it out of the freezer, heat it up in the microwave and I have finished eating it before PH realised that I am not behind him anymore and he turned back.

We eventually left Sentrum (on the map but not in real life) at about 11:15. We still had about 80km of sand and gravel before we get to our destination. It was here that I took my riding jacket off and put the chest protector on. This was one of the better things that I have done as it was already getting hot and the sand was ahead. I knew that if I fall now I will be losing some skin but that was a risk that I was willing to take.

In the first couple of km’s on the gravel we both had a few almost oops moments. I think it was the adjusting from 300km tar to going on gravel that put us of.
IMG_1988.jpg

Luckily we had to stop to let a Kudu run in the road and that gave us a breather. I could not get a photo of her as she was too far in front and quite frightened by the bikes and kept on running into the fences. She eventually just stormed one of the fences and pushed her way into the farm.

From here things went a bit better until we got to the T junction (no this is not the Karoo).
IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

This is PH.
IMG_1990.jpg

From here on things went downhill and got bad. We have hit the sand and were struggling.
IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

PH did not hurt himself with this off.

My helmet sounded like a bunch of primary school girls going to a party as I kept on shouting to myself. It would start with a silent “keep the throttle open”. Which will grow to a “KEEP THE THROTLLE OPEN”!!Which will continue into a “I TOLD YOU TO KEEP THE THROTTLE OPEN YOU ABSOLUTE !@#$#@#% @#%@ !%#$ #$@^ @#$^”!! “THAT’S IT. Now that you have opened it again keep it open”. “I SAID KEEP IT OPEN!!”

To say the least we were struggling. After we picked PH bike up we could not get it away. He was riding, I was pushing and the clutch was burning. When we got him going it was so bad that we were riding on the side of the road where they have cut the grass. The traction here was a lot better.
I eventually felt like one of these.
IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

And we still had 40 km to go to get to Steenbok pan. We have now done about half of the sand distance that we need to do and it took us more than an hour. At one point I was even considering calling one of these.
IMG_2001.jpg

The plan was to leave the bikes just where they were, get the taxi into Steenbokpan and call Wyntand to come and fetch us. We will then arrange for a trailer to fetch the bikes.

We were standing there discussing our problem and the way that we were riding. I have read a couple of post about sand riding and was trying to keep the throttle open and when (not if) the front end starts to go all over the place to open the throttle a little bit more.It was very difficult to do. PH on the other hand was doing everything wrong. When the front end was sliding away he would close the throttle and grab the front brakes with feet flying all over the place to help and keep the bike upright. We also only now decided to let the air out of the tires. I have never done this before and my tyre pressure meter where at home. Well what do we have to lose? The worst will be to leave the bikes were they are and get a taxi to Steenbokpan. And from that moment on things went better. We have seen the light. The heavens have opened. We would reach our destination without catching a donkey cart. Immediately the speed went up and in no time we covered the rest of the distance to Steenbokpan.

Here we filled up petrol and phoned Wyntand to fetch us at the gate. There were no more problems for the rest of the day.
This is the office and our accommodation for the night. The aircon stayed on the whole night at 20° and it was still hot.

It is Wyntand on the right.
IMG_2003.jpg

So we reached our destination at about 2 the afternoon. 5 hours after we started and about 350km later.

Just to give you some idea of what they (Sasol) are doing. They need to extract about 350 tons of coal that will be tested in Secunda before the final decision to continue mining here. This test exercise is about 250 million rand. There are only 5 Sasol employees on site. The rest is all contractors.
At the moment the pit is only 50m deep. When they are done it will be about 90m deep and 40mx40m big. It sounds big and that there is enough space, but if you see the amount of machinery that is used, it is small. There is not a lot of space to move.
We wanted to take the bikes into the pit and see who can go where, but were not allowed to do it.

Here is just some pic’s of what the operation looks like.
IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

We had a nice braai and watched the Cheetas beat the Hurricanes.
That is PH on the left, Wyntand in the centre and me on the right.
IMG_2028.jpg

PH’s wife will not believe this.
IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

The steeds had a good rest that night and were ready for the day back home.
IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

On Sunday we took the easy road home. We had gravel till Steenbokpan and then took the tar road to Ellisras and all the way home. This time we did stop at the Spur in Thabazimbie for lunch and from there it was just open throttle all the way home. The tar road was very boring. It is straight. There is only one set of twisties about 30 km out of Ellisras so were riding quite fast. There is no photo’s because it was so boring.

We went past the new Madupi power station that they are building. There is some people there with big balls. The height of some of those cranes and were the people are working is just amazing. I heard afterwards that at this site, after each part of the building process they get some surveyors in to see that the building is right. Apparently the tolerances between the buildings are something like 3mm.

I were back home again at about 2 the afternoon and about 420 km later. I think the Strom handled the sand better than the GS. I think it was more the rider than the bike but I am sure that being a bit lighter did help.

Total distance 772 km.
Time: about 10 hours.
IMG_2034.jpg