Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: dr650 skidplate  (Read 767 times)

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
dr650 skidplate
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:11:41 am »
Howzit dr guys

I'm building a skidplate and rack for the dr this weekend. The plate will be made out of one point two mil mild steel. I want to copy lecap's attachment setup. Could one of you post some pics of the attachment setup at front?? I like the fact nothing can penetrate the case.

Hey let's organise a dr ride somewhere in the Gauteng area sometime??
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:14:20 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Ganjora

Re: dr650 skidplate
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:12 am »
it attaches through the engine,  where the standard big blot bolt goes through the front.
if you look at a side on shot of the ganjamobile,  you'll see the hole in the side of the bash the bolt goes through that hole and through the engine.
at the rear,  if you lie on your back and look under the bike just in front of the suspension link you'll see some threaded holes.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:11:33 am »
1.2mm sounds a tad thin? I would say 3mm is better?
Also mounting it on the engine? If you whack one of those bolts you will damage the casing?
Not being negative... just trying to avoid tears... ::)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:17:58 am »
In the front the plate mounts to the lower fwd. engine mounting bolt via two angles welded to the plate.

The mounting bolt runs through the two tubes of the frame cradle. The engine sits in between the tubes, the bash plate mounts to the outside.
The mounts are designed to deform & fail before the bolt does.
The engine is never subjected to any forces exerted by the plate or its mountings.

I also think 1.2mm steel will be too thin as it will be very difficult to build structural integrity into the plate to make it more than a stone chip guard.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:04 am »
In the front the plate mounts to the lower fwd. engine mounting bolt via two angles welded to the plate.

The mounting bolt runs through the two tubes of the frame cradle. The engine sits in between the tubes, the bash plate mounts to the outside.
The mounts are designed to deform & fail before the bolt does.
The engine is never subjected to any forces exerted by the plate or its mountings.

I also think 1.2mm steel will be too thin as it will be very difficult to build structural integrity into the plate to make it more than a stone chip guard.
Cool, I misunderstood the whole engine mounting story then. :mwink:
Had pictures of a rock disemboweling the casing like Li's KLR. ::)
Of course aluminum plate is stiffer but one would have to go to around 6mm for comparative strength? Or am I wrong?

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:26:00 pm »
1.2mm Will be great for your mochup,get at least a 3/4mm for the actual skidplate :thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »
Thanks guys. My last plate was one point six mil:

I'll head off to the metal dealer tomorrow to see if I can find some two mil. Thanks for the input okes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:42:28 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:15:35 pm »
Jenks life is to short to built it out of steel.  4.5mm aliminium would weight about as much as 2.5mm steel, and make a much nicer plate for equal (or less) effort.

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »
There's no hope. . .  :D
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:41 am »
hahaha, Martin - ja I've never been one to follow the crowd.

Lecap and I had a conversation about a year and a half ago in the pooratech thread about ally versus mild steel for a bashplate. He was of the opinion that mild steel of around two mil should be adequate and equate to around four mil ally.  :thumleft:

Howzit Hagar - I can fab a metal plate in two days or so for around R300 all inc. It's a no brainer for me, so long as it's strong enough for average dings and looks good. I'll post the results next week.

BTW - my Moose jetting kit (along with magnetic drain plug, oil filter magnet and extended fuel mixture screw) arrived from procycle yesterday!!! But I was at work. The mf-ers didn't call.  :dousing: So they (the post office, I think??) left with it and said they'd return on Monday. I'd have loved to do the jetting as well this weekend ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:51:41 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:32 am »
I ended up going for aluminium for a number of reasons:

Firstly no problems with corrosion. You just leave it blank as no coating will last for long anyway. The plate will get sandblasted and stonechipped very quickly not to mention dings, scratches and cracks from ground contact.

Secondly Aluminium is more ductile. Means you can panel beat a ding very easily, just a few pieces of hardwood and a big rubber mallet are needed to transfom your sorry state bend and buckled bashplate after a few months of hard riding back into its original state - or at least bring it close to it.
The thicker aluminium will also absorb a lot more energy as it deforms, means the bash plate is taking the punishment, not your frame cradle or the mountings.

Of course aluminum plate is stiffer but one would have to go to around 6mm for comparative strength? Or am I wrong?
Remember your bash plate is supposed to work like the plastic bumper of your car - sacrificial protection if it gets tough.
A thin bashplate that hugs the frame is worth nothing as it will not keep the impact away from the frame cradle.
An extremely strong plate will take the impact and snap mountings off or bend the frame it's attached to :o

My plates are 3mm, work very well :D and weight 1.75kg with all fittings.
Admittedly no cheapo tinfoil alloy ;D

BTW: I'd rather work two days and get paid and buy a bash plate with money left over?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:59:20 am »
Yup, makes sense Lecap. Ally will absorb an impact.

But I think 2 mil mild steel will also absorb a fair amount of energy. Also the angling of the plate will mean, I think, that a lot of energy is deflected. (I'm sure your grandaddy can tell you stories (if he's still alive) of the effectiveness of the T34's sloped armour against the vertical armour of the mk III and IV panzers. Rather nasty surprise for the Germans in 1941. :'( )

My attachment points on the plate above were located high up behind the zorst. I might do that again, since there's plenty of space there and the attachment bolts cannot penetrate the case.

Your comments about impact absorbtion have got me thinking though. I'll add some high density foam to the underside of the plate again and maybe some rubber washers and a little bit of play at the front and rear attachment points (similar to engine mountings). Last time I ran foam along the cradle. I'll do that again. A ding would transfer energy, via the entire lengh of the plate along the cradle, I think minimising damage to the cradle and attachment points. Your comments about clearance are well taken.

I can't argue about corrosion! That's my one worry. But the dr's frame is steel anywayz. I spoke to the steel fabrication okes down the road in Westdene when I went to buy the 2 mil offcut (40 bucks!). They offered to do the bends and powdercoating for R150 :) The colur match is very close. They're busy fabbing seats for some stadium and say there shouldn't be any problem with rust. If it does get dinged, I'll just patch it or make another.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing this kind of stuff myself. That plate of yours is very lekker, though, and I must admit being very tempted to place an order!  

As always, you're a mine of quality info, Lecap! Thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:21:00 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"