Fine for orange light - R500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacoboos

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Mod, please move to technical if you wish.

OK, so I got a fine for my state of the art orange emitting headlight device on Saturday. This happened on the outskirts of Villiers on our way to Memel. When pulled over I thought it was for overtaking a 1/2 ton bakkie pulling a 2 ton trailer loaded with obscure objects without warning signs. Nope, to my utter shock and amazement it was for this orange emitting light blinding the officer. Before he wrote the ticket he ran a thorough inspection on my pristine 2004 1200GS. Then he proceed to the beautiful manufactured headlight protector. 

Now gentleman, this is no ordinary protector. It consist of a double layer of perspex plate, one fixed clear and one removable orange layer, mounted in a swivel clamp in front of the headlight. This allows me to either remove the orange plate at times (like when stopped by an official and prompted to do so) and still have the clear layer for protection, or drop the whole device down especially when riding at night. Ask Peat, he drools every time he sees it.

When asked why he was writing a ticket he said it was for the headlight not emitting white light. My wife's jaw dropped and I could see it in her face - WTF. No explaining could convince him to undo what he has done. Me thinks he got horribly confused with a red BMW emitting an Orange flavour. 

The law states that the lamp shall emit a light that is white, amber or yellow towards the front. Also, two lamps of the same class shall emit the same colour. What is the same class? Is low beam then the same as high beam on a motorcycle. On a cage it makes sense, there is two of each and left low beam should be the same as right low beam. I’ve seen a number of bikes utilising the dual option of clear and yellow or mostly orange perspex and wonder if it is excepted. Technically, the orange perspex or whatever colour used is not a lamp but rather a headlight protector cover with different emitting properties than that of a lamp. We (I) have reason to believe that it enhances motorcycle visibility.

I have no desire to go to Villiers to defend the fine in court and will pay it. 

79708-Reg 166(2)(b) r/w Sect 89(1) & 89(6)
Front position lamps not emitting white light.
'n Voorposisielamp sonder 'n wit lig wat uitstraal, gebruik het.
R200

80181-Reg 181(1)(a) r/w Sect 89(1) & 89(6)
Lamp emitting incorrect colour / not white or amber to front.
'n Lamp wat verkeerde kleur lig uitstraal, gebruik het / nie geel of wit na voor.
R300

80212-Reg 181(2) r/w Sect 89(1) & 89(6)
Lights of same class of different colours.
Lampe van dieselfde soort wat nie dieselfde kleur lig uitstraal nie, gebruik het.
R300

I hope somewhere someone if possible can use this info to save him/her some moola. I'm back in Gauteng after a fabulous weekend of riding and the orange emitting protector is back in place. Incidently, of all the times being stopped in GP, nobody uttered any concern.

O yeah, I'm not a Stormers supporter but when they nailed the Cheetahs on Saturday I saw images of a Freestate officer choking on his brannas and coke!