Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Price of bike hire  (Read 808 times)

Kev

Price of bike hire
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:59:47 pm »
I was looking at "the bike business" web site: http://www.thebikebusiness.co.za/english/bikehire.php

What do you think of the prices to hire a bike from these guys?
Do you think the price is more geared to overseas visitors than to local folks?

These prices are actually similar to what you would pay in Europe.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Re: Price of bike hire
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:15 pm »
Quote from: "Kev"
I was looking at "the bike business" web site: http://www.thebikebusiness.co.za/english/bikehire.php

What do you think of the prices to hire a bike from these guys?
Do you think the price is more geared to overseas visitors than to local folks?

These prices are actually similar to what you would pay in Europe.

Def overseas tourists , them prices are high ....

if you going to rent for a while u better off buying your own and selling it again i reckon...
Born to lose, live to win!!

Kev

Re: Price of bike hire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:15:37 pm »
Quote from: "IceCreamMan"

Def overseas tourists , them prices are high ....

But in SA, the price of bikes can actually be MORE than in Euro land or the US. So surely this is fair then?

As for the buying thing, you pay for convenience, no? Sometimes it is just not worth the hassle. If you were doing really long trips (time and distance), then maybe buying would work out the better option. :dontknow:

Offline Martyn

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
Price of bike hire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:17:01 pm »
I looked at another site for road tours for tourists at www.sabiketours.com and it works out to about R4000 per day all included. That is bikes, petrol, insurance, guide, accomodation, meals etc. sounds a bit heavy for locals but at 275 Pounds a day I suppose it's not toooo bad?
Artifical Intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

Why arn't YOU an Organ, Blood, Bone Marrow or Platelet Donor? That is Saving Lives!!!
www.odf.org.za www.sanbs.org.za www.sunflowerfund.org.za

Kev

Price of bike hire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:26:43 pm »
Quote from: "Transalp"
I looked at another site for road tours for tourists at www.sabiketours.com and it works out to about R4000 per day all included. That is bikes, petrol, insurance, guide, accomodation, meals etc. sounds a bit heavy for locals but at 275 Pounds a day I suppose it's not toooo bad?

Mmm... ?400 per day. That seems a lot for South Africa.
France per day:
Hire of GS 650 including insurance - ?75
Fuel - ?15
Meals - ?30
Accomodation in decent hotel / guest house - ?50

?170. And it can be done a LOT cheeper. Something doesn't seem right with those figures. Where they staying, 5 star hotels?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Price of bike hire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:54:25 pm »
but at 275 Pounds a day I suppose it's not toooo bad?

Yeah I suppose that is not bad taking into consideration what you would pay in England for something like this

BMW's two-day Level One an Two, Off-Road Skills courses each cost ?£360 for participants riding a BMW F650 GS or a F650 GS Dakar. For those riding a R1200 GS, the course is ?£395. The price includes two-days of instruction, motorcycle hire, third party insurance, fuel, meals, refreshments and a certificate of completion.

?£275 is taking the piss out of foreigners I think.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Martyn

Price of bike hire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:59:43 pm »
As far as the web site says they are good guest houses?
I think it is a lot for locals and I'm sure that none here would pay that amount.
I Ihave no idea what salaries are in the UK now, but when I left in 1985 I was earning about 100 Pounds a week.

I think the biggest mistake that tour operators and the like are making is to price everything from the tourists currency. Us poor bu88ers in RSA can't aford to go on holiday in our own country :!:

Why arn't YOU an Organ, Blood, Bone Marrow or Platelet Donor? That is Saving Lives!!!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • What me worry?
Price of bike hire
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 02:10:38 pm »

The last 4 years i have done week long tours around ZA , up the west coast , up the east coast , cape town etc etc ...week long tours have never cost me more n 3k ...thats food,petrol,accom,rum,beer ,crayfish and everything else thrown in... although we do camp as much as possible we normally set ourselves a budget an strive to stick to it..

r4000-00 a day is a rather expensive holiday i reckon although i spose with everything thrown in makes it look a bit fairer but its still expensive

Offline Martyn

Price of bike hire
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:46:03 pm »
Thats what I mean ICM, for locals the price is waaaaay out of line :cry: , but as Maverick said when you look at the big picture for tourists.... :?:

Offline MrBig

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
Price of bike hire
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 08:09:54 am »
I agree with all you guys say. Personally I would NEVER do a R4000 pd holiday. Not when you know what life is like travelling on a bike!!
I wouldn't even do a R1000 pd holiday!!

BUT.
There are many of our families and friends who goes off to Mauritius for a couple of days at similar daily costs. Or any other 'exotic' destination for that matter.

AND
Last year June I rented a Hardley Ableson Wide Glide in Arizona for 1 day (24 hours) and it came to R1300... (well over $200)
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline Gerry

• Bike: Suzuki DR350
Hire Costs
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 10:33:31 am »
These prices are outrageous ?

No wonder most of the UK riders head for europe / north africa .

Value for money ??

Alfie Cox tours , including bikes , accomodation , transport etc was less than ?£1000 per 8 day tour !

I dont know what his current price is , but even so allowing for inflation !!!!
Current bike - BMW R1100S   an old man's sport bike

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,
When in trouble hit the throttle ! !

Kev

Re: Hire Costs
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 10:55:20 am »
Quote from: "Gerry"

I think most UK riders head for North Africa and Europe because they can ride there with their own bikes, ie, they do not have to hire. The hire prices of the bikes alone is inline with that in Europe. Do you think it should be less, even though the cost of the bike may actually be slightly mor ein South Africa?

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • What me worry?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:01:12 am »
Quote from: "Gerry"

I think most UK riders head for North Africa and Europe because they can ride there with their own bikes, ie, they do not have to hire. The hire prices of the bikes alone is inline with that in Europe. Do you think it should be less, even though the cost of the bike may actually be slightly mor ein South Africa?

Should be less i reckon...as a matter of illustration i can rent a 120 000 (price of GS) for about 300 rand a day incl 250 km's free.... its the value of the vehicle that should be used to determine the cost of rental. imho

Kev

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 11:06:24 am »
as a matter of illustration i can rent a 120 000 (price of GS) for about 300 rand a day incl 250 km's free.... its the value of the vehicle that should be used to determine the cost of rental. imho

That seems like a very good deal. Do you have the price for unlimited kilometers? (To help me compare to prices here). A new basic GS here will cost about the same as in SA then... but you are looking at around ?100 to ?125 (unlimited) to rent one here. That is around R 1000 to R1200 per day.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • What me worry?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 11:12:52 am »
as a matter of illustration i can rent a 120 000 (price of GS) for about 300 rand a day incl 250 km's free.... its the value of the vehicle that should be used to determine the cost of rental. imho

That seems like a very good deal. Do you have the price for unlimited kilometers? (To help me compare to prices here). A new basic GS here will cost about the same as in SA then... but you are looking at around ?100 to ?125 (unlimited) to rent one here. That is around R 1000 to R1200 per day.

oooops i left out the lil word "CAR" ,i meant i could rent a 120 000 rand car for about 300 rqnd a day with 250 kays thrown in...not a bike..sorry

Kev

Price of bike hire
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 12:28:26 pm »
Funnily enough, it is cheaper to hire a car here too than a bike. I wonder why that is?

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Price of bike hire
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 12:52:53 pm »
Here is an outfit in PE from which one can also rent a d/s bike.  Would you consider their prices to be fair ?

KAWASAKI KLR 650   
R550.00 per day
300 free kms per day      
R1.50 per km after 300 km   
insurance included
R6000 refundable deposit   

YAMAHA AG 200
R200 per day
150 free kms per day
R1.50 per km after 150 km
insurance included
R2000 refundable deposit

Red Cherry Adventures

Kev

Price of bike hire
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:44 pm »
Quote from: "Watty"
Here is an outfit in PE from which one can also rent a d/s bike.  Would you consider their prices to be fair ?

KAWASAKI KLR 650   
R550.00 per day
300 free kms per day      
R1.50 per km after 300 km   
insurance included
R6000 refundable deposit   

That is what you would pay here to hire a BMW 650 GS for a day.

This R1.50 per kilometer is a catch though. Looking at the ride reports, a lot are more than 300km per day. At 500km, it becomes rather expensive.