KTM vs BMW - here we go again...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsybaron

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Why is it that it is mostly KTM and BMW riders that get in word-fights on the forum? I don't want to start a mud-slinging :ricky: contest, rather a constructive discussion. The DRZ / KLR / Africa Twin / Husky / Triumph / Caponord riders rarely go into such heated discussions as these 2 groups.

Is it because these 2 brands are (perceived to be) better quality? Are they more reliable? Are they better value for money than the "lesser" brands? Do they last longer than the others? Are they more capable off-road than the others? A bike is only as capable as its rider - I know a guy in Hartbeespoort who took his R1200C CRUISER-bike to Botswana, he was an hour or 2 later at the campsite than the guys on their dirt bikes, but he got there and came back - without any problems. Granted, it was "only" sand roads and no rock riding.

For example, imo for similar-sized engines, the Husky is a much better bike than the KTM but 98% would disagree. The Caponord is also good competition for the 990, and looks a lot better than either the Katoom or BM :pot:

The 990 / 950 falls into the same "bracket" as the 1200GS, but they are vastly different. The F800GS rarely gets compared to the 950, rather with the 640 / 690. You rarely see someone compare a KLR with a 640 or F650GS, but they compare only the BMW and KTM with each other....

Servicing - at the agents - is expensive on all brands. Parts availability is a problem on all brands, some more than others.

Please try to keep this thread civil and constructive, if you can't say something good about BMW then shut up!

Just kidding, the Beemer guys must play nice as well.

I think, in the end, it all boils down to personal taste as much as the depth of your wallet. I'd rather wait another year for a F650GS, than get (an affordable) KLE now. Purely because I LIKE the BM, but cannot afford a decent 2nd hand one right now.