GOC - Witklip Off Road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Wet, muddy and slippery. What more could one want for a good days entertainment, for spectators naturally. Riders had to suffer to reach the finish.

The race was in the Bronkhorstspruit area which is less than an hours drive from Johannesburg. Early start to allow the quads to race in the afternoon. The dirt road was enough of a challenge and ensured that I not only was going to clean my bike but my car too. Parked close to the entrance - not taking any chances of do a little 4x4 driving.

The first section of the race was through mielie fields. Nothing too dramatic and a sample of the mud conditions we were going to contend with. Easy does it and not taking any chances. The track was twisty with no long straights. One biker found a huge roll of discarded fencing. He was not getting that out of his wheel in a hurry. Passed him with a new perspective on hidden dangers.

Next, some twisty forest sections which quickly become mud baths. My strategy was to find any line that did not have a rut in it and take that. As the day progressed this become an exercise in futility. Was lucky enough not to get stuck and luck was the only thing I could thank.

Just to keep the motor cross riders happy we did a section of a MX track. What fun was had. Dropped my bike here once on each lap. On the first, came to a sticky end on a steep bank. My crowning glory was on the second lap, went flying up a bank only to discover I had no space to stop and went off the side into a muddy lake. Throwing caution to the wind did not pay off. On the third lap I tried to ride around a stranded rider only to get myself stuck. Was kindly helped out of that mess by another rider who was helping his mate who had made a hole to equal the one in Kimberley.

Now for some rocky sections. This was not bad compared to what was to follow - river closings. White river rafting came to mind as I watch the water churning passed. Care was called for and I walked my bike across. Not serious. But wait, this was not all. They found a few more crossing as we zigzagged up the river valley. A detour was made circumventing two crossings. Had a steep downhill – was drier. The last crossing was at a wide section. Was brave enough to ride though – not getting my feet wet.

Homeward bound and time of a little pace. Unfortunately, found a huge hole and went flying over my bars. The candy tape warning had been ridden though and I missed a sharp turn around this danger. Not happy with myself for being so stupid. No harm done at least, this time anyway.

A strange section of track to get into the pits and somehow it did not feel as if I should be back already. I did know this was not going to be any ordinary race, proving to be extremely demanding. Was up to it and found a good pace and relished each section as another challenge to conquer. This was a race of many parts with time vanishing far to quickly.

Somewhat different from the usual. The marking was a little confusing, the terrain and weather did make for a great day. Thanks Gauteng Offroad Club. 

Pictures
Witklip44.jpg

Witklip45.jpg

Witklip47.jpg

WitklipMap.jpg