Another World Cup Traveler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello everyone! 

I'm a fellow rider from Seattle, USA and I'm headed to the World Cup in June with everyone else and am hoping to fit in a short motorcycle trip when I arrive.  I don't have a ton of dual-sport experience, but I've done a lot of trail riding on smaller 250cc bikes and ride an old BSA for most of my in-town trips, so I should be able to handle a variety of terrain. 

I'll be headed out of Jo-burg the morning of June 8th and need to be back for the opening game on the 11th.  I've been leaning towards a Drakensberg trip based on research and recommendations, but I'm pretty open to most anything, just want to maximize my time.  I've been having trouble getting a good idea of reasonable travel expectations and local knowledge would be really helpful.  I'll need to rent almost everything except my clothes, but I'm open to anything from hotels to camping.  Any suggestions on reasonable loops, places to stop/stay (Clarens?), hikes, or bike rentals would be greatly appreciated, thanks!