Do you check your documentation when buying a new bike? (Learn from my mistake!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagser

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
Note to self, make sure to check vehicle papers when buying any vehicle in future!

Just curious how much you trust your friendly dealer when buying a vehicle, especially a new one?

I bought a new Vuka 200cc scrambler for the wife last year so that she could practise and use it for her big bike license test.
All went well, she passed first time and enjoyed the freedom of the bike.  :thumleft:

The problems started when we wanted to sell the bike a few weeks ago.
Taking it to the test station for its road worthy, the tester noticed that the frame number and number plate does not correlate!
After some searching and investigation it seemed that the dealer delivered two bikes on the same day.
All the documentation was done, but when it was picked up by the clients the two bikes were swopped (By mistake I hope ::)).

In the end to rectify it was not such a big deal, as the dealer only had to do a transfer of ownership between the two bikes.
This was helped by the fact that the other client was still residing in Bloem and his bike was still in a roadworthy condition. Had that not been the case this could have dragged on for months!

Now I know that not a lot of dogs will most probably do business with Vuka, but this can happen at any vehicle dealer, to anyone!