Cederberg quickie too - the lite version (Apologies to Doubleoseven)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aprilian

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
007, you inspired me to post this RR even though I'm still recovering.

We decided to do The Old Post Route from Tanqua side on a blistering hot Sunday 2 or 3 weeks ago. Of course we slept in a little and had a super breakfast and eventually left from Anton's Tanqua farm at ~ 11h00, in other words the midday trip from hell!

IMG_0605.JPG

Leaving from Tanqua

IMG_0662.JPG

HOT!!

IMG_0606.JPG

Some hectic ditches awaiting the unwary

Then on to Kobus se Gat and the first river crossing..
IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

At this stage I nearly gave up after a few bike pickups- Rallye 2 kinda hot in this type of situation!

But not to worry- only a teeny river bed to climb out..
IMG_0622.JPG

Then another river xsing
IMG_0627.JPG

...followed by another river bank...
IMG_0628.JPG

And then the Karretjies Pass- going up (whereas 007 came down this pass)
IMG_0631.JPG

I'm the spot at the top of the pic

Then the ride on the plateau- Nico makes it look easy but consists of sandy jeep track alternating with pebbly jeep track and bushes impinging on your chosen route leading to several sojourns over middel mannetjie- sometimes with spectacular and exhausting results...
IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

The Right Bike For The Job!!

At this stage I'd run out of water and the others were on their last sips- now hot & THIRSTYYY and starting to panic after doing 55km in 3 hours.

But then- a site to good to be true- shade and water
IMG_0641.JPG

in the form of the Bakkes farm. Man, water never tasted this good!! And shade- what great hospitality from Mr & Mrs Bakkes.
IMG_0645.JPG

After the farm the road is used more and the ridng is much easier and scenic into the Biedouw- stunning.
IMG_0645.JPG

And straight on to aircon and ice cold German fizzy drinks at the local
IMG_0665.JPG

Spirits restored
IMG_0673.JPG

All in all- a day to remember with take home messages- when in the Karoo, travel early in the morning and take plenty of water!!