Over the Bastervoetslaanpad to the Hole-In-The-Wall with Tulie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
DAY 1:

Route: Centurion > Johannesburg > Kroonstad > Bloemfontein > Reddersburg > Smithfield > Rouxville > Zastron

Distance: 650 km

The rest of the group left from Bethlehem at 10:00 on Thursday, but since I still had a lot of work to do I left my house in Midstream at 13:30 to catch up with them in Zastron later the evening.

I knew I had to make good time so I stayed on the N1 to Bloemfontein and then took the N6 to Rouxville, hoping to get to Zastron before the sun set.  This didn’t work out (if I knew about the roadworks between Reddersburg and Smithfield I would have taken another route!) and I had to ride the last hour in total darkness. All the potholes between Rouxville and Zastron didn’t help either...

Anyway, I found the Aasvoelberg Buitelug Sentrum in the dark, just as the others were putting the meat on the fire, and after a couple of drinks all the hassles of the day were soon forgotten.

Apparently Hentie (Hentie bm), Errol (Hermit), Tulie (Tulie), Theunis and Tiekie had a great ride that day, taking all the dirt roads along the Lesotho border from Bethlehem to Zastron, and I hope they post some pics of that too.