Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Insurance of Riding Gear  (Read 612 times)

Offline Beachbum

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Insurance of Riding Gear
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:24 am »
Busy purchasing a new bike and am curious as to how many bikers insure their riding kit. Is it worth it, does the kit get damaged badly or is it normally wear and tear and a few bumps..

Im a noob on the site so please bear with me...

Slowly getting into this adventure biking thing, at the moment it got me by the balls and i havn't been on a ride yet..
You're not yourself today.....
I noticed the improvement immediately.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:11:50 am »
Quote from: "Beachbum"

You are indeed a n00b...
On this site it is generally considered good manners to say hello first before asking us to participate in your polls.

Welcome though
and enjoy the forum

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:43:37 am »
Aloha beachbum 8)

My kit is covered as part of my house contents and specified on there. If you have contents insurance phone them up and ask if they will cover it. My gear is currently worth as much as my bike and of someone steals any of my kit it will cost a fortune to replace again. Not sure if they will cover it for wear and tear although you could possibly get bike insurance that will do that.

Rule number one is your kit is part of the bike as this is what keeps you supposedly protected so personally would insure it.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Leo

Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:18:56 pm »
Good kit, boots, pants, jacket & helmet are worth abour R20K. Insurance on this costs me less than R100 per month. Definately worth the effort.

:wink:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Beachbum

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:25:30 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Quote from: "Beachbum"

You are indeed a n00b...
On this site it is generally considered good manners to say hello first before asking us to participate in your polls.

Welcome though
and enjoy the forum

Respect...i've been browzing this forum for 5 months now, reading all the trips etc...only activated my account this week,,my appologies..

Intro forthcoming..
You're not yourself today.....
I noticed the improvement immediately.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:31:17 pm »
no problem. Glad you finally joined us 8)
...and I did vote in your poll

I did not insure my ATGATT. The option was just too expensive so if I ever crash and damage my kit I'll just have to use my old leathers and superbike helmet until I have the means to buy new stuff

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:36:20 pm »
I recently read something like this BeachBum - and glad you started the poll - indeed its a subject I havent seen covered in this forum before, and I have been here from the start.

My mate insures all his BM kit for something like R60 a month, which is outstanding considering the ridiculous cost of the stuff to replace.

even at R100 a month in a year - R1200 - that will buy you a half decent jacket. Over two years, and R2400, I can guarantee that you will fall off at least once.

A good fall, and your helmet is dinged, means replacement (according to the manuf.). An Arai is around R4K, and so in 3 yrs of insurance, your helmet will have cost the same to replace. Its good thinking imo.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:55 pm »
In the insurance business we call it re-insurance - insuring the insurance  :D  :D

Don't insure mine - got a limited life-span in any case...  At home its part of my house cover - on a trip its worth the risk

H

Kev

Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 04:15:05 am »
All my gear is insured as part of my fully comprehensive policy. It is a deal from my insurance company who just insures bikes.

Offline chrisB

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Insurance of Riding Gear
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 05:39:21 am »
Quote from: "Leo"
Good kit, boots, pants, jacket & helmet are worth abour R20K. Insurance on this costs me less than R100 per month. Definately worth the effort.

:wink:

+1
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II