Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Tuareg

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Braap....
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »
Check out this South African website
Xrad Trailers

Present: Yamaha TW 200Husaberg FE 650KTM 990 Adv RHonda XR650R
Past: KTM 450 XC-WKTM 950 Adv

Offline Tuareg

• Braap....
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 04:18:01 pm »
As tested by EnduroWorld

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 04:28:52 pm »
:imaposer:

Thats pretty cool lookin

Offline TK-Ten

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 05:01:44 am »
The Clio is actually a nice little car . Have you heard that Renault and Toyota decided to merge the Clio and the Auris ?
Guess what the name will be .......... :peepwall: :D :D
Find ecstacy in life , the mere sense of living is joy enough .
KTM990 ADV . XR650R . FJR1300A . Yamaha Grizzly 550 4x4 . Kawasaki GTR1400

Offline Tuareg

• Braap....
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 07:14:39 pm »
The Clio is actually a nice little car . Have you heard that Renault and Toyota decided to merge the Clio and the Auris ?
Guess what the name will be .......... :peepwall: :D :D

What.....
The Auricle  :mwink:

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 07:36:30 pm »
Ettienne, a bud of mine made a rack like that to fit onto the rear of his Landy Defender. Except for the fact that the Landy has a strong enough chassis to handle the stress, it was remarkable haw heavy the rack became by the time it was sturdy enough to hold his old WR426. Not for a small sedan/hatch.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline runningbear

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 05:30:52 am »
50 kgs on a tow bar, my word i way 130kgs and stoot on the goose neck of a towbar on a citi Golf no problem, i too have been designing this type of mobibar for m/cycles how else do you get you bike anywhere without a trailer or bakkie?
To pass the learners licence or drivers /riders licence, copy me, I can give you a guarantee, and if you mess up,..... my training was not 100% therefore i will work with you till you achieve your licence at no cost!! K53 School Driver Training College Pty ltd

Offline Kreef

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 06:14:53 am »
Hi Ettienne

Contact Goonrider and get some info on the racks. He made one for his MX bike a few years back.

He has now graciously donated the rack to me so that I can carry the pitbike on it :) Just have to fit the rack to my towbar and then no more petrol smell in my car :) Whoot whoot.

But on a serious note, these racks are heavy. Very heavy. So even without the weight of the bike, their is already quite a load on the towbar. And because the handlebars are quite wide, the bike is placed far to the rear. This places additional stress on the towbar.
From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few. We band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Offline lecap

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 06:36:55 am »
50 kgs on a tow bar, my word i way 130kgs and stoot on the goose neck of a towbar on a citi Golf no problem, i too have been designing this type of mobibar for m/cycles how else do you get you bike anywhere without a trailer or bakkie?

Try to stand on the towbar for 2500km with locked knees ::) There is a very slight difference between static and dynamic load. About the same as standing on a towbar and studying mechanical engineering :evil6:

Maybe have a look at what happens to your axle loads when attaching a carrier with a 100odd kg bike strapped onto it.
And consider the momentum in roll & jaw the load induces.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:10 pm »
i had a clio

Dammit! I knew it was a girly car...now it's been confirmed..

:peepwall:

Its only girly when a girl drives it. When a guy drives it its pretty gay. :D
But everyone needs at least one gay car in their lifetime :)

Offline runningbear

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:26 pm »

Try to stand on the towbar for 2500km with locked knees ::) There is a very slight difference between static and dynamic load. About the same as standing on a towbar and studying mechanical engineering :evil6:

All my bikes have got shocks as well as my vehicles so i dont have a problem i have designed light weight high stress metal that can take a load up to 300kgs and made models that i am testing, problems with length of bike as only 300mm may protrude beyond either side of the vehicle carrying it, stone chip, wind resistance to fuel economy and wind noise. Traffic legislations etc. 8)

Maybe have a look at what happens to your axle loads when attaching a carrier with a 100odd kg bike strapped onto it.
And consider the momentum in roll & jaw the load induces.
To pass the learners licence or drivers /riders licence, copy me, I can give you a guarantee, and if you mess up,..... my training was not 100% therefore i will work with you till you achieve your licence at no cost!! K53 School Driver Training College Pty ltd