Jhb, Baviaans kloof & Die Hel... and back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Uncle Bob

I did the trip with Johan Kriek as advertised here - https://www.wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3698 .

A photographer/reporter went with us and this ride report will also be in the Feb issue of Dirt & Qaud, she made me this AWESOME album with a bunch of pics in, the great thing is that now i actually have photo's of me on a trip, not just landscape photo's.

All the photo's below were taken by Gillian Hine of Unicorn Pictures
I Just scanned them in to show off :D

Saturday, 16 December
Depart at 10h00 from the ?Grasmere ENGEN? which is situated on the N1 south just before the Grasmere toll plaza.
Our route will take us via Parys and Bothaville to Hertzogville, from where we will turn away to our Guest farm which is situated close to Boshof.
Baviaans0001.jpg

Baviaans0002.jpg

Baviaans0003.jpg

Baviaans0004.jpg

Sunday, 17 December
Depart after breakfast.
Follow the gravel road via Koffiefontein and Luckoff, before we cross the mighty Orange river. Now in to the Cape province to De Aar, from where we get back on dirt and ride to the beautiful karroo guest farm ? Altringham, where we will once again overnight

Baviaans0005.jpg

Baviaans0006.jpg

Baviaans0007.jpg

Monday, 18 December
Depart after breakfast.
Follow the dirt to Richmond, from where we stay on dirt via Murraysburg and the Valley of Desolation? to Graaf Reinet. Now back on tar via Jansenville to Uitenhage, before we arrive at our beach camp sites at Kabeljous.

Baviaans0009.jpg

Baviaans0010.jpg

Baviaans0012.jpg

Baviaans0013.jpg

Tuesday, 19 December
Pack-up, and head for Patensie. After re-fuelling, we ride deeper into the mountains on our way to the breathtaking Baviaanskloof.
We now cross streams, ride on narrow tracks across the mountains, until we reach our destination in the middle of the Baviaans ? Bakkrans.

The campsite is located beneath a dramatic cliff overhang in a gorge close to the road and with easy access from parking. The site is equipped with gas and paraffin lamps, built- in braai, hot and cold shower and flush toilet, mattresses, cooking utensils and it can accommodate up to 15 people.

Baviaans0014.jpg

Baviaans0015.jpg

Baviaans0016.jpg

Baviaans0017.jpg

Wednesday, 20 December
We explore the beautiful wild Baviaanskloof, and overnight once again in the lovely Bakkrans

Thursday, 21 December
On the road again!
Exit Baviaans at Willowmore, and ride via Kommandokraal to the quaint little town which nestles at the foot of the Swartberg Pass - Prince Albert.

Baviaans0022.jpg

Baviaans0023.jpg

Friday, 22 December
The Swarberg Pass.
Prince Albert lies at the entrance to the 27km Swartberg Pass, considered one of the most spectacular mountain passes in the world: an untarred road winds to the summit 1 583 metres above sea level in steep zig-zags and sudden switchbacks, with breath-taking views at every turn. The turn-off to Gamkaskloof (Die Hel), lies near the summit of the pass.
"Die Hell", is a fascinating valley, where a small, proud community lived in isolation for more than 100 years. Access was on foot and horseback and harvests of dried fruit and wild honey were carried out by pack animals.

Legend has it that Gamkaskloof was discovered when trekboers lost their cattle and followed their spoor into the fertile valley. Petrus Swanepoel was the first to farm there and the valley supported the hard-working community until 1962 when a road was carved into the valley. A gradual exodus occured and the last farmer to leave was Piet Swanepoel in 1991.

Baviaans0025.jpg

Baviaans0026.jpg

Baviaans0028.jpg

Saturday, 23 December
Depart from this wonderfully historical place.
We now ride back towards the Swartberg Pass, with which we descend into the valleys of the Klein Karroo. We visit the famous Kango Caves, before our wonderful tour ends at Kleinplaas in Oudtshoorn.

Baviaans0029.jpg

This is where i left the group to return home and spend Christmas with my family.

I just want to say a huge thank you to Johan Kriek for organising such an amazing tour, To Gillie for the great pictures and to Darryl and Craig for just being awesome company.

Baviaans0030.jpg