Rallye Raid – War Trail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Impossible to have had any more fun! What an adventure in the Southern Drakensberg. Mike Glover out did himself, though with the help of the War Trail farming community and Chris who laying out routes.

Should have suspected it would be cold and sleeping in tents would not help. Tiffendale ski resort being just around the corner. Snow we luckily did not have, frost did cover the world and that was enough for my liking.

Originally planned to trailer down. Changed plans when I learnt the designated parking was 100km away from camp. Whether I did 100km with luggage or 700km from Johannesburg did not seem that different to me. I had not reckoned on the last 50km to be a pass, which look some time to ride up. My early arrival was delayed to 8:00pm, with most of the pass done in the dark. I had ordered a new tyre to be fitted that afternoon. Still got exceptional service from Continental. While I ate a late dinner they changed my tyre, so I was all ready for the following day. Pro Action also got a visit and while I was rushing through breakfast they fixed my loose exhaust. Thanks guys.

We got the routes loaded onto our GPS’ which took much of the guess work out of having to find one’s way. They did route mark with orange stickers, many of them unfortunately being eaten or otherwise removed. Such is life and little one can do.

We had the option of three routes on each of the two days of the rally. I opted for route 2, being a compromise between a technical route 1 and predominately dirt road route 3. I was not disappointed and had more then enough challenges to fill my day. Saving the bike and myself part of the challenge. I still had to ride back home at the end.

It was rather difficult getting out of one’s tent in the morning. The world was icy and subzero temperatures not very inviting. They did provide ample hot water showers, which was a good reason to getting up for. At around 8:00am we set forth into a mist draped wilderness. After a short 6km of dirt road we found our first turnoff. A two-track farm road leading down a valley past a rock shelter. Our eyes were deceiving us. How did we get ourselves into this? This was going to be the level of riding required – and it was obviously not for sissies.  

At riders briefing, we were warned to be at lunch before 12:30pm. No problem with that request until we arrived just in time for lunch. It had not dawned on me that they were not worried about cold food, no, not at all. They knew we had some interesting challenges ahead that afternoon and if we did not want to ride in the dark, we had better start earlier. This plan being devious in nature required a solution just as devious, that being an Enduro bike. Anything heavier was going to result in a serious workout. Off we went anyway, lunch being a pleasant affair. Down some nice farm roads until we turned off into what looked like a nature reserve, specifically for rabbits, Rock rabbits to be exact. We had a long rocky washed out gulley to climb. Any hesitation was penalised with a stop and resultant struggle to find traction again. With some luck I made it up reasonably quickly. Stop to take a picture, helped one guy on a 990 Adventure and it was time to move on. Now we had to ride on what seemed to be goat tracks weaving left and right through minefields of rocks. One’s concentration was tested to the limit. We eventually dropped down to a river and rode along a beautiful section of valley.

That night we enjoyed some live entertainment in the form of three lady musicians. A good job they did entertaining all.

Day two arrived too soon with the dread of having to sit the whole day on a bike again. Sad how quickly the novelty of things wears off. Once on the bike again I would not have changed places with anyone. Down a valley we went and into tribal trust lands. The best section of the ride awaited us. We had huge open fields to navigate across and massive dongas to ride through. Just magic to have such freedom and space to ride in. Loved every minute. This was more technical riding and I drop my bike a few times. Such is life and a sure sign that I was learning new stuff at least. Also did some nasty little step-ups. All for the better for handle one’s bike. Lunch was a wee bit far away. They had to have had a good reason for making us wait so long.

The surprise was warm water pools. Just what a doctor would prescribe after a long days riding. Heaven on earth and a chance to forget all the aches and pains. Time was unfortunately running out and we had to make a hasty return to camp.

A rodeo was arranged for the afternoon, which consisted of a slow race, long jump and barrel race. Just perfect for any child, or the child in each of us. My slow race was a disaster and not to be beaten I turned in front of my competitor and to really put him off I dropped my bike. He vigorously objected to having been fouled and demanded another attempt. Next was the long jump which just required some acceleration up a bank to be air born. Great fun and something I had to try several times. The barrel race was addictive, nothing like dropping the clutch full throttle and holding on for dear life and once at the other end to hit brakes hoping to get around the barrel upright and then to do it all over again.

The two days riding came to an end rather quickly. That night we where entertained by a hypnotist. The local farmers once again provided an outstanding dinner. All that was left was my trip home and some time to reflect on how great life can be.

Mike Glover (Red Cherry Adventures) you are the man – good job! What it is like to behave like a child, for a little while, anyway.  

Pictures
Rallye985.jpg

Rallye991.jpg

Rallye995.jpg

Rallye000.jpg

Rallye005.jpg

Rallye009.jpg

Rallye011.jpg

Rallye015.jpg

Rallye018.jpg

Rallye023.jpg

Rallye028.jpg