Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3rd National Offroad - Mafikeng 400 - Help requested -PLEEEEASE !!!  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Splash

Re: 3rd National Offroad - Mafikeng 400 - Help requested -PLEEEEASE !!!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »
Life being rushed and work hectic, eventually leaving late on Friday afternoon – and so sadly missing the time trial. Would have started at the back of the field anyway. Did just make the fuel drop off’s 9:00pm deadline. A friend had booked accommodation and straight to bed I went, expecting a long day ahead. Started at 4:30am with a wakeup call. Bikes impound closed at 7:00am and the start was a 40km drive away.

At the pits, I squatted at the Full Throttle gazebo - really nice of them - not having my own service crew. Basically me, myself and bike. The regional riders had one 200km loop to do and the senior national’s another 100km loop. All in all, I needed to do five refuels. The decontrol (15 minutes rest) after the first loop was at the main pits. Without asking I was helped at each refuelling. Dirt bike people are just the best. Thanks to everyone, passion is obviously part of the sport.

Did this race last year as a regional event. Had been long and took almost the whole day to finish. Was I being over ambitious adding another 100km of racing? Would I need to use my bike’s light to get home? Thankfully, it was not that bad - they had left out the slower riverbed sections which helped due to them being flooded from extensive rain. Then I had not had the pleasure of exploring the ‘digtebos’ loop. Nothing like riding almost an entire loop in thick whooped sand with bush branches lashing one as one passed, possibly egging on one on to go faster. In no time I was in survival mode. To get to the finish I had to conserve energy. Slowed down and attempted to flow with the track. Easier said than done unfortunately. Did on one or two occasions get it right and glide with the bike through corners and over whoops - just magic. Want to do more of that.

The fast regional riders came flying past in no time. Had no ambition of trying to achieve their speeds. They did seem a little out of control, maybe that is just the way it is at that pace. I wonder how my riding style may still change over time, not to mention my appetite for risk. The feeling of speed is something which is universally understood. The vocal and enthusiastic spectators along the route have their thrills from riders racing past and I have had one spectator pointing at her watch obviously disappointed with my position in the race. Normally a wheelie is demanded which I unfortunately leave them disappointed.

Dust was not a problem which made my life more pleasant especially with passing riders. It is remarkable how many riders thank one for one’s efforts. To all of you, it is only a pleasure and I hope in passing in helps your race. If I am in your way, I am sorry, sometimes, maybe even for no good reason, I need a little time to make way for you. Your patience is appreciated. Do I get a Noddy Badge anyway?

Sand has a dramatic effect on a bikes need for fuel. Along the track I found some bikes, abandoned as if dead. What had happened to the riders? Strange thoughts start going  through one’s mind. How did they break their bikes, will mine do the same? Did the riders fall and need to be rescued? Not much further all my questions were answer when I saw some riders making their way down the track carrying fuel. They had run out of petrol! The fuel stop was near by. Refuelled my bike and was happy I would make the distance to the next stop. I do have an enduro tank which holds 10 litres which should be enough for a max of 100km. I was using around 5 litres for each refuel.

The second loop was almost the total opposite of the first with open tracks across wide plains. What a relief to have this as our second loop. The loop went by in no time. Near the end we rode along a dam shore which was made all the more dramatic by stormy weather. I just started dripping and the wind was howling. It was suddenly a serious quest, with the sound of thunder in the background, to make the finish. What a way to end a race.

Thanks to Mafikeng Motor Club. A long way to race and many, many obstacles. Not always so easy to get back in one piece.

Pictures

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:10:39 am by Splash »
Have bike, will ride.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »
Splash, thanks for the report, really a pleasure to read, you write well. :thumleft:

I know exactly what you mean by hitting those corners and whoops perfectly. Whoops are so tiring but fun to do when youre skipping the tops.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 08:40:28 pm »
Theres an ugly old pommie there with the Roost boys called Dave, punch him and say Mr Godsell sent it  :biggrin:
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline Splash

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 09:12:31 am »
Theres an ugly old pommie there with the Roost boys called Dave, punch him and say Mr Godsell sent it  :biggrin:
I will just roost him! Hopefully, still be able to escape with my life - you know those Roost guys.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:26 am »
Here is the report from our team:

This was my third race for the year, and the first since Ermelo 2.5 months ago where I damaged my ACL. The leg was still sore, but much better and I decided to give it a go
The Mafikeng 400 is said to be the toughest in the National series and although the organisers apparently made it much easier this year, it was still a tough race. 95% was deep whooped-out sand and if one was not fit, this race would have broken you.

I did my 200km and was happy with a finish. Well done to Splash who did an additional 100km on the National loop and although the second loop was much easier - it was still another 100km.

Kurt (on the quad), again did not finish, In fact - he almost did not start !!!
The KTM was running VERY well during pre race testing and then suddenly it started to smoke - barrells of smoke. We decided not to risk another blown motor. This created a dilemma - the chances of a win in the silver class this year was now starting to fade.
We phoned around (at 21:00 on Friday night) and managed to RENT, - yes you read right, RENT a YFZ450 for the race. We collected it in Mafikeng and worked until 03:00 in the morning to race prep it.
Problem was, the KTM kill switch was not compatible with the YFZ's ignition, so we have to MAKE a kill switch
So, Kurt started the race on a RENTED quad with a home-made kill switch.
He was either second or leading his class, with only 50km to go (his race was 300km) which the modification failed and the quad died.
So that was it - Another DNF
We really fealt sorry for him - What a disappointment. He is such a good and talented rider

Riaan, - some more sports
During Friday testing, it became apparent that his bike was not pulling well in the sand. We organised additional sprockets, but soon decided that this was not the solution.
The motor was beginning to fail. This bike had ridden a number of races during the season (approx 7) and had so far done well. We deicded to rebuild. A quick call to Pretoria and the ladies picked up the spares late Friday PM.
The motor was stripped down and the parts arrived at 22:00. The motor was reassembled and completed by 01:00. We woke Andri up and he raced through the mielie lande with a headlamp for a light at 01:15. Some adjustments were made and Andri went back to bed.
Bike done by 01:45.
Riaan ended up 7th, just missing a trophy - well done !!!!!!

Andri,
Andri's bike was perfect - It's running well.
Andri came 4th in the Regional class and 7th in the National class (he missed 6th and a trophy by 40 seconds).
Considering that he ran out of fuel just before the 1st DSP and lost a good ten minutes there - the thick sand just ate up the fuel. He also had a VERY bad crash which left him out for about 5 minutes which cost more time.

Jeez, I should be shot !!! - forgot about Morne
Morne,
He did well and came 6th in the National Quad Silver class,

So all in all - we came home with 2 Trophy's

pics to come
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:51:22 am by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 09:37:05 am »
Well done to u and your team ,sorry to hear about the plumbers problems  :xxbah:

I see u are considerring this  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=49492.0   :pot:
Would bee a good choice
Sorry could not help myself ,I really feel for him  :3some:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:43:35 am by REDRIDER »
FTS

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 09:48:51 am »
Well done to u and your team ,sorry to hear about the plumbers problems  :xxbah:

I see u are considerring this  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=49492.0   :pot:
Would bee a good choice
Sorry could not help myself ,I really feel for him  :3some:

Ja, don't know where to go from here
The rider is good, the machine is letting him down

The KTM quad does just not seem to be able to cut it in the racing scene - It's a pity as the bikes are doing well and we decided to support KTM this season.
We just cannot disappoint the rider anymore !!
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 06:07:30 pm »
Eish Plottie, are those 2 strokes really cheaper to maintain than 450´s? ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250