Oh no, not another NOOBIE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanator

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Yes, your crusaders in the field won't leave unsuspecting nice people alone. Kept getting acosted and told to visit here.

Ok, enough about you, let's talk about me now. :wink:

Left SA many years ago and have lived the past many years in England. Returned April '06 as the UK became too small. Spent the last 14 years riding and touring Europe, mostly on BMW's and almost always on road bikes. Current PED is an 1150RT, yes, the road beastie. (Bored yet?)

OK, here's a pic to wake you up.....
20060624CitrusdalOffroading2.JPG

This sort of explains why I'm here really.

I've done about 9000 miles (14,000k's) since April (in SA) and have now run short of roads in the Western Cape. There are of course miles of tantalising dirt roads and my inquisitive self won't let the fact that I ride an RT, stop me from going to have a look.

But that's not really the right thing so, am waiting for Kawasaki dealer in Cape Town to call when his stock of KLR 650's arrive. Thoughts did rattle in my mind about a 650GS but in the end, I came to this conclusion:

If I drop the GS, I'm gonna cry when I get the bill.
If (when) I drop the KLR I'm gonna laugh at the moment (then cry a little, if nobody is watching). Had an IT 495 many years ago (before I was allowed to ride one) which was huge fun, but massively over powered for my slinky frame at the time. I'm sure the young, dumb and full of ... bravado, which used to be me, is now tempered significantly. Still, I'm game and looking forward to being off-road again and slithering on sand instead of snow.

So, the other boring bits are...

Lawrence, married to Theresa who hates bikes, biking and bikers (me included), two years till my 40th so still a young sprightly pup, and a freelance contractor implementing e-commerce and internet strategy in media, publishing and retail environments. Absolute worst sense of humour, in fact personality, but I'm told it improves dramatically with Jack Daniels - so come armed. I live in West Beach, north of Cape Town and love the way women wear swimming costumes in this country, so am often found on Blouberg Beach front.

Till I'm on the KLR, wave when you pass and, if it's a finger salute, at least disguise it as a wave. :D

Cheers

Lawrence 8)