Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R1200GS/GSA - Boxer Engine - UPDATE - SEPT 2010 !!!!  (Read 31947 times)

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
Re: BMW R1200GS/GSA - Boxer Engine - UPDATE - SEPT 2010 !!!!
« Reply #640 on: October 08, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »
Also not sure why the cam timing should go out but apparently on the DOHC motor its common. Only takes 5 min to check when doing routine services with the heads open.
Pass this way once!

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #641 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »
Also not sure why the cam timing should go out but apparently on the DOHC motor its common. Only takes 5 min to check when doing routine services with the heads open.

Please ask if there's something I can try and explain, if it wasn't clear. If you got sorted by what you did, that's great. I know the DOHC motor pulls lekka anyways. Thing is that the R1200GS shouldn't have knock issues, based solely on the fact that it has knock sensors which avoid knocking (unlike R1150GS/A).

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:12:04 pm by volroom »
2003 R1150GS

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #642 on: October 09, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »
Battlestar - I do not know tge DOHC engines at all so I might be way off the mark. Perhaps the DOHC has adjustable (so-called "vernier") cam sprockets?
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

The following users thanked this post: ec guy

Offline Mark62

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Mark
« Reply #643 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
  :ricky:
Te lui om als te lees wa bly Die Goose
nog in Napier wil kom kuier en chat
Mark
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:59:07 am by Mark62 »
BMW  1200  GS Adventure 2014                                       4000km so far +10999km
BMW    650  X    Challenge 2013                                       8000km Sold
Yamaha 660 Z Tenere my first Bike 2010                    47000km Sold
VW 1970 WESTFALIA

Offline pwt

« Reply #644 on: December 26, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »
Revivng an old thread yes but just to let you guys in on my latest experiance. I have been in contact on and off about this issue with goose and im happy to post the below PM i forwarded him today

Hey Goose

Trust you are well.

Matter of interest regarding the pinging on my bike. My bike has been pinging badly ever since ive owned it. Especially bad under hard and realtively moderate acceleration between 3800 and 5900rpm.

Went to my dealer Saturday morning and they had a trade in 2009 adv. Took it for a 50km ride and i could not replicate the pinging under any circumstances and trust me i rode it hard. Arrived back to the dealer and told the sales oke lets do a deal. Trade my DOHC in on the 2009. New head mechanic overhears the converstation with the sales guy and asks what the problem with my adv is to which i explain. Says let me take into the workshop and have look. I request if he doesnt mind me coming and says no problem. opened both heads and turns out the cam timings were out. Re adjusts them to the correct settings. He then plugs my bike into the bmw PC and shows me there is a map for the bike to run on 91 RON fuel. I tell him load it which he does. He did mention a possible reduction in power but that didnt worry me. Puts everything back together no charge and sends me on my way. Get onto the highway and wind the big girl up and guess what zero pinging. Nothing not even on aggressive throttle movements. I tried everything that made her ping before and its not there anymore. Just though i would let you know that my ping problem appears sorted and if it is still there i definately cannot hear it anymore. For good measure as an added precaution I ordered a booster plug and will fit that also for good measure
Hi Battlestar
Sounds great, just curious to know which dealer you went to, definitely a feather in their cap

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #645 on: December 27, 2014, 06:17:32 am »
Ryder Motorrad in Pinetown. Top guys. Only ever had awesome service
Pass this way once!

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #646 on: January 29, 2019, 07:26:30 am »
mine used to ping alot. Since fitting Akrapovic headers and therefore removing the cat, it doesnt ping at all now.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #647 on: January 29, 2019, 09:08:46 am »
mine used to ping alot. Since fitting Akrapovic headers and therefore removing the cat, it doesnt ping at all now.

Time to sell it now and get that 1250  :pot:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #648 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:26 am »

Fokit! I do have the itch even though BMW pissed me off. Going to see one today.

PS. Will message you. Need to pop past to get some stickers. Maybe today after work if you have time.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #649 on: January 29, 2019, 09:25:32 am »

Fokit! I do have the itch even though BMW pissed me off. Going to see one today.

PS. Will message you. Need to pop past to get some stickers. Maybe today after work if you have time.

Tell us what BMW did to you or at least point me to the thread where you have told us
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key