BMW R1200GS/GSA - Boxer Engine - UPDATE - SEPT 2010 !!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please use one vote for option 1-3 (bike type) and another vote for option 4-5

• I have a BMW R1200GS

Votes: 56 38.9%
  • I have a BMW R1200GSA

Votes: 70 48.6%
  • I have another BMW 1200 model

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Yes my bike pings and I am concerned about my engine!

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Haven't noticed pinging or problems - not worried!

Votes: 69 47.9%

• Total voters

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
As per Michnus's suggestion to start a new post from: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=48764.0

Seems that there's a massive problem with the Boxer engine that has been tuned for EU conditions.
The problem with the 14.7:1 fuelratio's is that the engine runs far too lean for SA conditions.

Anyone with aviation knowledge knows that fuel mixture is critical to ensure optimal burn and operation. The hotter & higher you go - the less dense air becomes and we have found that on hot days with a bit of a load (maybe a passenger, maybe just a bit of luggage) the bikes start "pinging" really badly.
THIS is causing serious damage to the engine - in fact in 2008 I seem to remember quite a few boxers actually self-destructing.

MY personal issue is that if I ride with my wife and hit the 5000 - 5500 rpm range and this mill below me self-destructs and either seizes dead at 140km/hr - we are going to get seriously hurt............ or she's going to blow out huge amounts of oil, which would be exceptionally dangerous for us and perhaps fellow riders behind us when that oil is deposited on the road.

So do I want to ride a potential death-trap....? No that is not an option.

Solution is actually extremely simple...............

We need approximately 20 GS & GSA's in the Western Cape (being sea-level the testing is also then done where maximum performance of the engine should be noted) to be tested thoroughly with the results then being sent to BMW Motorrad for a response.

Please place your names on the list below..... and I will arrange the testing date as well as see whether BMW SA would perhaps send a representative to be present to check that the testing is done correctly (of course if needed?)

Once we have the list and date set, I will post the details of what's needed and how we go about the whole thing.