2 rookies on their way from the Cape to Lesotho and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I am pretty new to the Wilddog forum so I will give you a bit of a background, us doing the DS thing.
As a professional waterman for more than 20 years it happened hat I was never far away from the beach in fear I could miss a good day on the water.
Only recently I found out what I have missed in all these years, never being able to explore the inland of all the countries we have visited.
When my wife Claudi and I moved to Cape Town in 1997, we soon bought a 4x4 to explore the coast line from Namibia up to Tanzania, in search of the best surf and windsurf spots.
Then it happened that our 4x4 was only used in 4x2 mode for a couple of years and I decided to sell it in 2008 to a fellow Swiss guy who wanted to explore Southern Africa.
What next?
Claudi was a keen biker before I met her and I also owned a Yamaha TT 500 for brief time 25 years ago.
So we both made jokes about riding a bike again.
I would have opted for the same bike I have once owned, but I remembered that it was a highly uncomfortable ride on longer distances. In my mind the next best thing with more comfort would be a BMW 100GS, it took me more than 6 month before I actually found one.
It needed some TLC but soon we could go out for a ride.
First we had to settle on the driver and pillion order. Sure Claudi could ride a bike quite well but I told her that it will be against my knowledge of the physics to put the heavy guy on the back seat, but she was not easily convinced.
Then we made a deal. If she would be able to get the bike on and off the centre stand, I would ride on the back seat.
That was settled quite quickly as she was not even able to get her feet close to the ground. Harry in front, Claudi on the back was the packing order since then.
In fact I have offered her to find a fitting bike for herself but she decided to ride pillion instead.
To cut a long story short I really love my 100GS but in terms of ergonomics I could never ride that bike longer than 4 hrs no matter what I have tried. Lower pegs, raised handle bars, reshaped seat, Airhawk cushion, nothing really could keep me on that bike long enough to go the long distances I would like to do. I still love this bike but I mainly use it to ride to town and back.
Then I did a test ride with the 1100GS from a friend of mine and I immediately could see that it was a much more comfortable ride for me. My hopes were up again to find a fitting long range DS bike.
In January this year I bought the cheapest 1150GS I could find, to start another restoration project. I rode this bike from Centurion to Cape Town without too much trouble and I was convinced that I could sit 8hrs straight on that bike any day.
By March the bike was ready and we took it out for our first 1 day trip to Citrusdal and back. Half of the distance was done on dirt road and the bike felt great on and off the tar.
After that day I was reading all the ride reports on the Wilddog forum, and I was planning our first proper bike trip.
Sani Pass and Baviaanskloof were rated highly from all the members, so I thought it will be a good idea to combine these two during a 10 day trip and throw in a few more mountain passes along the way.
Almost ready to go I wanted to pack our sleeping bags on the bike, but Claudi gave me the only limitation for our trip. She didn’t want to sleep outside in the cold. Well, we agreed to keep the bags on the bike in case we have to sleep next to our bike in an emergency, but find proper accommodation along the way. For the better understanding you should know that my wife gets cold easily in anything below 30’C.

We have never done a longer trip on a bike, in fact my riding experience is limited to the 5000km I have done on the 100GS on day trips during the last two years and commuting. Claudi's riding knowledge was limited to tar anyway. But I was hoping that we could learn the tricks of the trade while we are on our way – learning by doing is my motto anyway.

Sunday the 25th of April we were on our way. Cape Town – Sani Pass – Cape Town sounded so sweet to me.

Day 1 Cape Town – Worcester – Robertson – Montague – Ladysmith – Swartberge – De Rust
I took it slow over the Du Toitskloof  pass towards Worcester as the newly fitted tyres were not run in properly and felt quite slippery.
After Worcester we hit the dirt road towards Robertson.
The bike handled quite differently with the new tyres and all the luggage. Sure I would get used to this over the next couple of days.
At 80km/hr the bike started to get unstable so I remembered a tip from other Wilddogs. Deflate your tyres off the road.
I deflated the tyres a bit and the bike felt more stable, there you go. I was able to settle on a comfortable 100km/h.

13313426.jpg

19076851.jpg

2breederiverday1.jpg

68297886.jpg

The small stretch from Robertson we went briefly on the R 62 to hit the dirt road after Montague again, all the way to Ladysmith. This is a pure high speed Karoo dirt road and I opened the throttle often to over 120km/h. Claudi on the back seat usually signals any obstructions in our way with a punch into my kidney area, so I usually prefer to use the brakes before that happens. I still received a few punches that day and I am glad she did because I can be a bit of a hooligan at times.
The next thing I have noticed that every time Claudi takes a picture on the back seat the bike becomes very unstable on these fast dirt roads. Something I have to better get used to it before we loose control at these high speeds.
73220128.jpg

Short stop halfway to Ladysmith.
quickstopday1.jpg

lesothopartone021.jpg

lesothopartone019.jpg

lesothopartone023.jpg

Claudi could be mistaken for a Wilddog at times.
wilddog.jpg

Where is the water?
day11.jpg

lesothopartone028.jpg

Not much of a crossing either.
72540697.jpg

Ouber Pass with the Prinsrivier Dam
35733654.jpg

55592625.jpg

Lunchtime.
lunchbrakeday1.jpg

yummiday1.jpg

On our way towards the Swartberge.
lesothopartone041.jpg

swartbergmountain2.jpg

lesothopartone054.jpg

swartbergmountain1.jpg

In the distance you can see the road to the Swartberg pass. We have to leave the pass for later on our way back as it was already getting late.
swartbergpass.jpg

Then we had a little race with a funny looking vehicle.
lesothopartone057.jpg

quite fast for a 2 donkpower cart
donkeyraceday1.jpg

One of our sleeping bags decided to fall off. Claudi was quick enough to realize it and we found it only 2km back in the middle of the road.
lostbagday1.jpg

Now it was time to head to our only pre-booked accommodation on our trip. The Little Cross Retreat Farm near De Rust, where I have booked a cottage and a braai pack for the first night.
This was actually our best accommodation in regards of value for money and hospitality. R 400 for the cottage and Jack was even lighting the braai fire for us that night. He also organized me some cold beers, thanks Jack.  Really a great place to stay with a great view as a bonus. The Eagle Cottage has got the best view.
littlecross1.jpg

viewfrombalconyday1.jpg

Day 2 to be followed soon.