Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What you need to know to go Offroad/Enduro racing:  (Read 19885 times)

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: What you need to know to go Offroad/Enduro racing:
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »
e-dirt is a pretty good place to start  :thumleft: Also Racecontrol has a calander.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:51:56 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Ross Riddle

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:36 pm »
Thanks
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 01:26:15 am »
Thanks

Let us know how it goes here ou boet!! :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
Wow, this thread makes me nostalgic.

I haven't raced in a looong time. In fact, I have not ridden a bike in a touch over three years. Not totally out of pure kak-sleg'ness, in my defence  :biggrin: but circumstances have recently been changing for the better and I have been contemplating getting my aging ass out of this couch and get back into it.

I can see that there are reasonably often questions on here of how to approach the enduro/offroad racing scene. Once I get my 'arse in gear' I intend to offer as much advice as I can, but it is important to me that I qualify myself. I am no racer, never was, never will be and that is kind of the point. Even though I was never any good or never achieved any great success, I was able to enter and compete and have a fantastic time, just as much as someone who was really good at the sport.

I have had the priveledge though of getting tips and advice from some quality riders and the experience of trying my hand at quite a few different enduro class races.

So one message that I would genuinly like to bring accross is: If you've ever thought how cool it would be for you to try it out but thought (like almost all of do at least at some point); "nah, this is for professionals and people who are brilliantly good at this", then you are wrong. There are groups, clubs and races that cater for everyone... yes, even you in your 40's, 50's, whatever, it's not too late and you're not too noob!

As far as forums go, for plastic bikes racing I recommend www.e-dirt.co.za

So ja, my plastic bike ('08 KTM 250XCW) needs a little bit of TLC (not sure exactly how much yet) after standing under a tarp in storage for over 3 years. As soon as I have her sorted out I intend to start from scratch... at 39 years old I realise full well that you don't try and hero any shortcuts anymore. I will be happy to pay-it-forward, as a great group of guys (Berserkers) once did for me, and offer advice to any who would like to get started too.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
Dutchie, it sounds like you need to do the Amageza rally ;D
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 03:35:37 pm »

I will have to educate myself on the topic... I don't know anything about it other than I think I skimmed over a thread recently in which Brett competed... staying over at some sports grounds, sitting in the pavilion while it was raining... something like that... and that it was a more of a rally type than an enduro?

I'll read up.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:06 am »

I will have to educate myself on the topic... I don't know anything about it other than I think I skimmed over a thread recently in which Brett competed... staying over at some sports grounds, sitting in the pavilion while it was raining... something like that... and that it was a more of a rally type than an enduro?

I'll read up.

Yes, its our own home-grown Dakar. Long days of riding with long specials stages each day as well. Check out the Amageza 2014 thread near the top of the racing section of wilddogs.

Offline Wihan

• Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 04:16:05 pm »
Dutchie
At 39yrs you're still young boet, I am 40 and race enduros with much older guys -into their mid 50's- and they still kick my arse.
Get your bike ready and start racing, at our age we don't have to be so competitive any more, can just get out there and have a jol. :ricky:
Carl Rohrbeck (age 52) rode with me and Jacques this past holiday, he made us look like complete amateurs...... :-[

So age in this sport is just a number.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:15 pm »
There's all sorts of stuff you have to know about going racing. So I finally decided it's time to do my homework, but www.motorsport.co.za is down.  Does anybody know anything about this?  I hope this is just a passing glitch.

Offline Buff

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:06 pm »
Just a glitch, I received a mail today that they're in the process of upgrading. Try again later in the week  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline BigMikeKTM

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:43 am »
Just a glitch, I received a mail today that they're in the process of upgrading. Try again later in the week  :thumleft:

what racing do you want to do bud ? the EWXC's is a great enduro series as are the Lowveld Enduro's, for something less techincal, the GOC's are a great place to start as well. you can look at the moto101 forum for all your dirtbiking and racing questions. would probably be quicker to find out what you need to know.

Offline Adolf Botes

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:25 am »
For National Off-road and Enduro racing you'll find all the information you need on www.dirtracing.co.za. Currently under the tab 2015 Racing you'll get the Launch Presentation as well as the Off-road and Enduro dates with the SSR's (Rules and REgulations) pertaining to each.

You can also follow us on twitter : @DirtRacingSA as well as Facebook : Dirt Racing and also the Group : Off-road & Enduro SA and Instagram : dirtracingsa

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
The 2015 WFO races are not up on WFO's site yet www.wforacing.co.za/ Does anyone have access to this info? I'm more specifically keen to know if Champaigne Valley is on the roster and if so, what date.

Offline Morokai

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 12:28:20 pm »
Also interested in this, thanx for all the info.

I reckon I will start with some of the FUNDURO'S. Can someone please clarify for me if you still need a club membership,racing license, number, bike ready for scrutineering etc.
I presume the answer is NO, but would like to know for certain.

Can you just pitch up the morning, enter and have fun?
Fear is temporary, Regret is forever.

DR650SE, DRZ400E

Offline Buff

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:34 pm »
Yep, for the "funduro's" like the one happening this weekend in Piketberg you just pitch and ride, nothing else required besides a helmet, boots and enough fuel
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 03:48:12 pm »
And to sign an indemnity form for when you faarkyourselfup  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »
Also interested in this, thanx for all the info.

I reckon I will start with some of the FUNDURO'S. Can someone please clarify for me if you still need a club membership,racing license, number, bike ready for scrutineering etc.
I presume the answer is NO, but would like to know for certain.

Can you just pitch up the morning, enter and have fun?
It all depends on what race and where, there are three "types" of races, MSA races, WOEMZA races, and non sanctioned races, as a beginner I would go for the non sanctioned races, depending on where you are located as to what races are in an area close to you !
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Morokai

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 04:14:22 pm »
Nice one. Pitch up, sign away and ride....seems like an easy way to start

DR650SE, DRZ400E

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:55 pm »
Going with the other two bodies races it ends up costing you so much that it leaves a bitter taste at the end of the day, also remember why you are doing it,, FUN,, when you get to national levels it's no longer fun
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Morokai

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:42 am »
Going with the other two bodies races it ends up costing you so much that it leaves a bitter taste at the end of the day, also remember why you are doing it,, FUN,, when you get to national levels it's no longer fun

Ya this makes alot of sense. For now it will just be for fun, probably just going to.stay like that aswell

DR650SE, DRZ400E