1277cc's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biesie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
“You don’t have to be home on Friday night”
“Huh?”
“Take your bike and go somewhere”
Kadoempf ….me fainting and hitting the floor.

So it starts that my SO gives me the Friday night off, while her mother and father will help with the twins. Time to really plan something decent was short as I only got the pink slip on Tuesday morning, but the Karoo was on my mind.

Day 1 (Paarl to Gannaga Lodge, 269km, 4 hours)

13:08 and we were ready to roll. We decided to do the D, B&B thing at Gannaga Lodge, so there was not too much to pack.
KarooTrip003.jpg

Hit tar al the way over Bainskloof, filled up in Ceres and klapped tar over Theronsbergpas to the glorious gravel of the R355. The Karoo must’ve had some good rain, as there was water everywhere as is evident from the pic. See if you can spot the flamingos in the foreground. My photographic skills are lacking in some way.
KarooTrip004.jpg

My partner in crime on his 2001 KTM 640 with a genuine 9256 k’s on the clock. Bike is spotless. This was his first decent trip on gravel.
KarooTrip005.jpg

Going for gold at the Tankwa / Middelpos turnoff.
KarooTrip006.jpg

The gravel roads were in superb condition and we were eating the miles. Luckily we both like to keep the rhythm going and therefore did not stop at each and every bump in the road. This being my 1st time with the camera, I wasn’t too good at spotting photo opportunities. This is bound to get better with time. Stopping for a butt stretch at the Tankwa Karoo Park HQ.
KarooTrip007.jpg

The one and only Gannagapas.
KarooTrip008.jpg

The road was recently graded and in good condition.
KarooTrip009.jpg

The view from the top and the stress from daily life start to fade.
KarooTrip010.jpg

Trying to capture some of the pass, but as always a pic doesn’t do justice. You have to go there and experience it.
KarooTrip011.jpg

Right on the escarpment of the Roggeveld berge you get Gannaga Lodge. What a magical and brilliant setup. Highly recommended and situated slap bang in the middle of Karoo DS heaven. Our house for the night.
KarooTrip012.jpg

A pic of one of the rooms.
KarooTrip014.jpg

Bar, restaurant and reception area. Here we were served the best lambs neck I’ve ever had. Being born and raised in Fraserburg, I cut my milk teeth on lamb, but this was the best I’ve ever tasted. Bliksem it was lekker. We made a few doppe and retired early.
KarooTrip018.jpg