Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - now with bashplate!  (Read 1423 times)

Offline wiledog_X

DR650 - now with bashplate!
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:20 pm »
i recently bought Sidetrack's DR650 - what an awesome machine! ;D  - and had Blazes fit a bashplate that he'd made. Blazes, thanks for the friendly service & chat!

here's a couple of pics... before & after.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:35:46 pm by wiledog_X »
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
Re: DR650 - now with bashplate!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:22 pm »
Pleasure C--Glad you like it-------------
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:13:26 pm »
Looks great ! The bike is now sorted  :ricky:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:37:16 am »
I beg to differ:
Two eina areas left unprotected at least. The flat rear section of the plate will also do little about protecting the frame cradle from ground contact.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:38:53 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »
Me likey :) But Lecap has a point. Maybe come out with a MkII that has little wings extending down the flanks each side from the ears to the rear of the plate??
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline the_priest

• The Ghostbane Collective
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
I can understand the need to protect the suspension arm thingy (I'm not a mechanic :P), but why would you need protection on the sides of the foot pegs?

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »
A Bashplate is made to protect the engine WTF do you want to start protecting the suspension and footpegs etc  ???

Seen to many guys get grass stuck under the footpegs and even see it catch on fire once--

I built these on instructions and design form some DR riders  ;) This is what they wanted --and this is what i gave them--At HALF the price.

Want something to your own spec--give me the design and i will build anything you want--even if i do NOT like the design--You have money to blow--i will gladly take it ::)
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Hagar

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »
I like your plate.  Should work just fine.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »
I like your plate.  Should work just fine.

Thank's ;)
Current Scooters --

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:28 pm »
Fark if you start bending frame rails you will

1) need more than 3-4mm of alu protection
2) get off a DR and buy a RMZ

:o
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »
Hey blazes, you better keep one for me!   :thumleft:
Lourens de Lange

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
A Bashplate is made to protect the engine WTF do you want to start protecting the suspension and footpegs etc  ???
'cause that's what gets damaged on the DR650 on a regular basis. At least on my seven DR's. Footpeg bracket bolts smashed flat to the point where a socket won't fit or bent are not the exception but the rule.
And do yourself a favour and check for the prices of the nedle bearings in the suspension lever. They will get ruined once the seal has been hit by a stone and bent. Not to talk about a full hit on the front of the lever when going over a curb (like the one at Kriges ;D ) or a rock.

I built these on instructions and design form some DR riders  ;) This is what they wanted --and this is what i gave them--At HALF the price.

I assume "at half the price" is aimed at my bashplates?
Well. you don't have to get your panties into a knot just because I don't like your plates. I have stated clearly why I don't like yours and you are more than welcome to criticise my design.
I am well prepared to explain every little detail of it  :thumleft:
I build bash plates to combine a reasonably high level of protection with low weight and value for money. This is what I wanted. A few others liked the design and others again found out about its advantages. No one so far complained about paying too much.

Want something to your own spec--give me the design and i will build anything you want--even if i do NOT like the design--You have money to blow--i will gladly take it ::)
You see that's where I'm different. If I think it's crap I tell you and I will not waste my time on it.

Fark if you start bending frame rails you will

1) need more than 3-4mm of alu protection
2) get off a DR and buy a RMZ

:o

The frame "rails" of the DR650SE are actually tubes and it does not take much to damage them. I have seen it happen more than once on my various DR's. The sump can actually take much more abuse than the frame cradle. This is due to the fact that the frame tubes are more exposed and vulnerable thanks to their design, shape and wall thickness whilst the cast aluminium of the sump can absorb and dissipate quite an impact without suffering structural damage.

3mm aluminium sheet is well enough to protect the DR's frame cradle from the worst:
You just have to take the right aluminium - not the one they use to make tin foil from :evil6:
and you have to know how to shape it and how to attach it to the bike to make sure it can dissipate an impact  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:59:29 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »
I can understand the need to protect the suspension arm thingy (I'm not a mechanic :P), but why would you need protection on the sides of the foot pegs?

Sorry, did not reply to this above:
The bolts that attach the footpeg brackets to the frame are vulnerable and their heads get often smashed or the whole bolt bends or shears off. Once you've filed a few of them back into shape to be able to fit a socket over them or removed them with a vice grip ::) you'll look for ways to protect them.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:05 am »
blazes/lecap

maybe we should restrict this type of healthy banter to the vendors' section.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline the_priest

• The Ghostbane Collective
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:10 am »
blazes/lecap

Or the DR650 thread. :P
It's actually quite interesting to hear why they built the plates differently. :)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:36 am »
Actually i am not going to get into this--i know nothing--only have sheetmetal and pattern making as my first trade
 trade --so as i said i know nothing-not prepared to knock someone elses design to try and show myself up---Been in bussiness over 30 years for myself and have learnt you give the customer what he asks for -if you do not agree with him you give him your views and let him know what your experience has taught you. The bottom line is --Its His decision and his money------  ;)
Current Scooters --

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• Are You Living to Die OR DYING TO LIVE?
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:29 am »
Looks GOOD Blazers,i like
''Walkerville Rangers'and''PATHFINDERS' 86 KLR600,93 KLX650,06 KLR650 ,08 KLX450,04 BWS100,1983 KLR600(chassis #000181&000182)KLRR650 Versys

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 09:21:48 am »
blazes/lecap

I don't think so. We advertise products in the Vendors section. The vendors section is moderated by the vendors. If you say something bad about my product - fark you! ZAP! I delete it :evil6: :biggrin:

The bikes & workshop is moderated by the (hopefully) impartial deity MrBig and he will call us to order if we're bad boys. IMHO discussion of bikes & technical accessories belongs exactly here.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:43:16 am »
Fair enough. Touch, Pause ...Engage!  :diablo_ani_fire:

Nothing like competition to bring prices down and quality up  :deal:  Both plates are lekker - but I feel Blazes wins this one with a very good price and pretty good protection. A mark II at R1000 with a little more protection for said levers and other dainty bits would be the business, IMHO  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:59:45 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 11:49:57 am »
 :happy1: