Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - now with bashplate!  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
Re: DR650 - now with bashplate!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »
Lecap,I dont want to argue with you...But come on man,A skidplate is there to protect your engine from all the sh#t  that gets hit up by the front wheel.

I will get your skidplate only when I go ride/or do enduro's on heavy "Moerse Rotse" like those you get on baboons pass,Or big rocks similar to the pics below.... ;)

Blazes...Your design on the sides(the "ears") looks bedonerd. :thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Ganjora

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 06:16:18 am »
after a trip to lesotho the seemingly expensive lecap bashplate earned it's keep

the footpeg bolt cover even got a workout...

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 06:37:48 am »
That plate saved your cases, levers and pegs, for sure. Damn Ganjora you make good use of your dr!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:39:04 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »
Joh! :o Ganjoria: How low is your DR? :eek7:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline Hagar

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 07:22:17 pm »

I guess about 50mm lower than yours. Le Cap will give you exact amount!

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:52 am »
Hahaha - Hagar you're a funny guy. No one can dispute Lecap's technical expertise and workmanship, though.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 07:03:42 am »
Not trying to be funny.  Just pointing out that the Le cap bashplate makes Ganjoria's bike lower.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 07:19:16 am »
Well I thought that comment was hilarious  :imaposer:

My old plate that I fabricated (one point six mil mild steel) was close to the cradle tubes, but with some foam running down the tubes as sound/shock absorbers.

I never rode the places ganjora does to see if it was effective, though. My new plate that I'm making for the blue dr will have rails running from the ears to the rear, to protect the pegs and levers. It'll be 2 mil mild steel with plenty of holes to lighten her up!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:09:27 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 07:59:47 am »

The Bash plate takes less than 2cm of ground clearance. If you're worried about that get decent fork springs (like Ganjora) and a 70kg rear and you'll ride taller than OEM :thumleft: :mwink:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Hagar

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »

The Bash plate takes less than 2cm of ground clearance. If you're worried about that get decent fork springs (like Ganjora) and a 70kg rear and you'll ride taller than OEM :thumleft: :mwink:

2cm is acceptable.  The more I think about your design the more I like it.
My homemade plate (4.5mm aliminium sitting almost against the belly with foam in between in places,) is working fine though.  Had to panel beat it back in shape but no damage to frame yet.  Had a big hit when I hit a rock in long grass that almost punched through and some others.
 I did not know that I want to protect my swingarm thingie and footpeg bolts though (like it seems most of the world out there)so I basically copied what the rest of the world seems to like.

I am considering upgrading the shock and forks.  The thing that gets me is not so much the nose-diving and general softness, but rather the way it can’t deal with “square” hits.  This is I am told is part of having damper rod forks instead of cartridge forks.  I am thinking about swapping forks/front end.  I do not want upside downs, was thinking about something like DRZ/ 96-98 RM/or WP extreme shocks.  Do not know if it is worthwhile though, perhaps better to ride it as it is, you know the idiom about some things not worth polishing and so on. This bike is so cheap to maintain though, that I can perhaps swop the front end for what other Dogs spend on 3 months’s insurance on their bikes.  (mine only insured 3d party, keeps me carefull)

This is a bashing thread so keep it up, lets bash each others bash plates: Le Cap I do not like the way you attach your plate at the front (looks vulnerabler to me) and the looks of it.

Offline Griffin

• SSS (jr. Member)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »
Le Cap I do not like the way you attach your plate at the front (looks vulnerabler to me) and the looks of it.

It uses welded bracket and an extended engine mounting bolt that is well protected by the bash plate. You can see it throught the access hole in Gaja's first photo.  Rear mounting is two rbberised a shock mounts.  The nuts are visiable in the second photo.  The welding is a work of art. 
You may guess that I am a very satisfied customer  ;)

Offline Hagar

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »
Le Cap I do not like the way you attach your plate at the front (looks vulnerabler to me) and the looks of it.

It uses welded bracket and an extended engine mounting bolt that is well protected by the bash plate.

I saw it on the photo.  How does this bracket attach to the main plate?  Is it a L shaped bracket, welded on the flat section or more like an l ?  If it is a L it is better imo.  Where are the welds?  worried a little about it breaking due to fatigue at the welds.   By the way the welded on ramps before the bolts at the back is a nice touch.  Pity that the nuts are on the bottom, rather than the bolts side.  Will become difficult to remove once it is riveted by a rock.
I am not too serious about the plate not looking good.  See that as part of the bashing.  Will still increase noise like hell though. >:D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:27:55 pm by Hagar »

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 03:02:56 pm »
wow this thread sure got the guys talking!  :3some:  i chose Blazes' bashplate because of my budget constraints and location - he's practically a stone's throw away from me! both Blazes & LeCap's have their pro's & con's i'm sure, and people's preference - it was just easier for me to get one from Blazes, and so far i have no complaints! like sidetrack said, i'm not going to ride an enduro!

update photo...
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"