Does one REALLY need a motor bigger than a 650?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

Here is something I have been wondering about a while.

The question:

Why are bike manufacturers making DS bikes with bigger and bigger motors? WTF? Will we one of these days see a 2 litre DS bike, weighing 500kg.

And like all of these questions, it boils down to what you want to do with it, and whats your riding capabilities. Or is it more a question of 'my d!ck/ wallet is bigger than yours?

I have seen okes on 1200's ride the crap out of that bike on terrain that will let a 400 sweat.

To put my bitching in perspective:

I had a couple of 650's including a BMW Dakar, then I had a KTM 950 , and now a 660 Tenere. I bought it January, and it has 9500 km on the clock. I work from home, so no commuting involved.

And the ONLY time, yes, the ONLY time I've missed the bigger engine was on long stretches of tar, like when the missus and I were returning form Namibia on tar, that I miss the awesome touring capabilities of a bigger motor, where one can cruise comfy at 150km/h + without straining the engine.

So does one NEED a 1200 + motor for DS riding. Or even a anything more than a decent 600 or 800cc? Or is it the manufacturers wanting to get a new and more expensive product out every couple of years, and there is only so much you can charge for a 650 -800 cc bike?

It would be interested to hear your thoughts, but lets not go into a KTM vs BMW debate. That's one of the reasons I ride a Yamaha!  :biggrin: